Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times

Advertisements

Back when we were kids we were cruel. We used to take gym sneakers from other kids, tie them both together and toss them up to hang on the utility wires. What did that symbolize? Nothing. If it were done today with today's political correctness crap I guess it means we want to hang the CEO of Nike or Avie or Ketchers. How utterly ridicules. This guy is a kook, why give him any attention.

Ever get behind some one with a bumper sticker on their car that said something with no meaning to you? It's not making a statement if no one but no one knows what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Well we saw different things then, because I saw the same behaviours with Bush (W). Only in his case, additionally people other than no-names also got involved (entertainers), making comparisons with Hitler/Nazis that was extremely offensive to those I knew who had to endure concentration camps during WWII.
This! Absolutely. While I wasn't a fan of GW I found it very offensive that people were equating him to Hitler just like I find it offensive when they do it to Obama. I even had a chat with some folks at the Oakhill post office that were waving pictures of Obama with Hitler mustache on it. For as much as we don't like a particular president's policy, to compare either to one of the ugliest monsters in the 20th century and comparing their policy to GENOCIDE is deeply troubling and shows that those people have no grasp of history or reality.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:36 AM

302 posts, read 690,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
This! Absolutely. While I wasn't a fan of GW I found it very offensive that people were equating him to Hitler just like I find it offensive when they do it to Obama. I even had a chat with some folks at the Oakhill post office that were waving pictures of Obama with Hitler mustache on it. For as much as we don't like a particular president's policy, to compare either to one of the ugliest monsters in the 20th century and comparing their policy to GENOCIDE is deeply troubling and shows that those people have no grasp of history or reality.
Godwin's law.

I'm sure before Hitler it was some other universally acknowledged "ultimate evil" person/being/thing.

It's funny/sad how everything always devolves to lowest common insult denominator: "Your guy is closest to Nazi/Hitler, so I'm right, and you're wrong".

There's never any real thought as to whether folk fighting for, say, mechanisms for balancing the budget, can actually in any objective reality be compared to genocidal, racist freaks who murdered millions under the rule and direction of a megalomaniac mustachioed crazy monster with a God complex.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 AM

191 posts, read 163,772 times
I understand this was some sort of political statement, but that's it. What exactly was this man trying to prove? What was the point?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
I understand this was some sort of political statement, but that's it. What exactly was this man trying to prove? What was the point?
That he agreed with Clint Eastwood's speech at the RNC maybe....

Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You've never seen such nastiness before because every year it gets worse. Civilized discourse in this country is devolving. Whether Obama or Romney is elected this next election, it's only going to get worse. If it's Romney, and this type of stuff happens, will people say it's because he's Mormon? And GW had to endure a lot of ridicule as well. I lived in Seattle while he was president, and my son would ride the school bus and the first -fifth graders would say the nastiest stuff about him, essentially parroting their parents, calling him a Nazi, etc. I saw a weekly picket line at Green Lake where people were calling for him to be impeached because of war crimes and people calling him an F*ing idiot. That's not particularly civil. When we told people we were moving to Texas they rolled their eyes as if somehow everyone down here was a neanderthal because he'd been governor.
All of that is common. Who DOESN'T have a political/personal opinion about whomever is in office.

But the heckling and interrupting President Obama during his speeches... Joe Wilson yelling out "YOU LIE"...etc. COME ON. Please. That is on a COMPLETELY different level. It was very cringe-worthy and embarrassing to witness a state representative having a tantrum while yelling "YOU LIE" to the PRESIDENT???!!! I was embarrassed for him. That outburst was ridiculous and unnecessary. You can say civilized doscourse in this counry is devolving...but it has been taken up 1,000 notches with President Obama in Office.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That he agreed with Clint Eastwood's speech at the RNC maybe....
Wrong. That point would have been made with an empty chair and maybe a flag. But hanging the chair with rope in a tree is obviously symbolizing the invisible Obama being hung up in a tree...

You have to be ignorant of history or racist to not see it...

Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,875 times
Until all the older ppl die off we are just gonna have to deal with their racism....

What's worse is now they pretend they aren't racist....especially on facebook or what not. hey racists, i remember u in high school...stop pretending...

Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Wrong. That point would have been made with an empty chair and maybe a flag. But hanging the chair with rope in a tree is obviously symbolizing the invisible Obama being hung up in a tree...

You have to be ignorant of history or racist to not see it...
That's exactly what I said. He could've made his point with the chair sitting in the middle of his lawn with the flag attached to it. He took it a step further and HUNG the chair from the tree. LOL. And again, said he did that to keep the chair from getting in the way of his lawn mowing duties. That's hilarious.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM

239 posts, read 518,301 times
...within recent events (Eastwood's appearance @ repub convention)....definitely a pointed (and racist) reference. Dude had to walk back that reference 'cuz he got caught (and caught on tv)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies