Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Until all the older ppl die off we are just gonna have to deal with their racism....

What's worse is now they pretend they aren't racist....especially on facebook or what not. hey racists, i remember u in high school...stop pretending...
Once again...what I said. The ones who hide, deny or downplay it are the scariest. The chair hanging man just got mad because he got called out. Plain and simple. He tried to be slick with the "message" he was sending, but he couldn't pull it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Wrong. That point would have been made with an empty chair and maybe a flag. But hanging the chair with rope in a tree is obviously symbolizing the invisible Obama being hung up in a tree...

You have to be ignorant of history or racist to not see it...
Really ? I didn't see it but then again I'm not looking for racism aspects of other people's actions.
Just like I don't see how peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is a symbol of racism.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,875 times
K so you're just ignorant...whatever...

Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Really ? I didn't see it but then again I'm not looking for racism aspects of other people's actions.
Just like I don't see how peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is a symbol of racism.
Did you really just equate hanging a representation of a black man from a tree to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,875 times
Or maybe happytexan is just bizarrely naive? Who knows?...

Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
It's not uncommon for celebrities to get "into the nastiness."

I'm referring to the tasteless hecklers....the "You lies," the lewd speech interruptions, the sheer ridiculousness that no other president has had to endure at the scale President Obama has. Yet, he deals with it politely. We must maintain respect for the Office...regardless of who is in the seat.

Come on, now....I have NEVER seen such behavior.....it's actually quite embarrassing.
I support Obama and I agree the current behavior of some of the American public towards its duly elected leaders is an embarrassing display of ignorance and inappropriate. But didn't someone throw a shoe at Bush? Those kinds of idiotic offensive attacks are not new with Obama.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
If u don't think it was a racist statement then ur racist
Your opinion is extremely narrow minded and inappropriately judgmental. There are many reasons to think that this was nothing more then a political statement, which is protected free speech. I am saying this as someone who voted for Obama, I support him and intend to vote for him again. But I also believe that this man has a right to express his political opinion as much as I do. Anyone who doesn't agree with that is an imbecile.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Wow, a chair looks nothing like a noose. How does this symbolize racism? Every time a white person moves an inch, it's "racist". I swear to God, this country.
I agree, there are too many people who immediately jump to the "racism" card and name calling when they have nothing more intelligent to say about something they don't like. It is a lame argument.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One has to be racist, for their mind to even go there.
No, actually, one has to put two and two together.

Empty Chair = Obama (the Clint Eastwood bit from the RNC, remember?)

Chair is hanging from rope = lynching.

... I don't see how you don't get that.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I support Obama and I agree the current behavior of some of the American public towards its duly elected leaders is an embarrassing display of ignorance and inappropriate. But didn't someone throw a shoe at Bush? Those kinds of idiotic offensive attacks are not new with Obama.
That happened in the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies