Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
WOW! 20+ in a class. I never had less then 30+ in any of my classes from 1st grade all the way through high school.

I guess the teachers of today just aren't as good as those of the past.

Wish they would tell em that in my town . Here they refuse to even consider more then 13 per class. The result, we pay more to teach 3rd graders then a yr at UNH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Isn't reading taught in the 1st grade?
Showing your age, aren't you.
Kids are behind if they don't know the alphabet, at least, by kindergarten.

If a parent reads to their kid, the kid is better prepared for life, learning and school.
Parents do have the responsibility to help their kids learn; the child learns from and mimics the parent behavior.
Teachers present the information, parents reiniforce the lessons.

Wouldn't you want to participate in your kid's preparation for life?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Teaching, and the style of teaching, is outdated - and should be retired. It is funny to "strike" for the "children" yet the Charter school's without the Unions performance is even better. . .

I for one have a huge problem with the "report card" element. I mean I don't care what you call it, but I better be able to understand what percentile my child is on the subjects required by age 6.

I would not disagree that there are a lot of problems with parents, and they cause significant issues in schooling children. Yet that should not take away from the sheer incompetence our teaching force - which is a direct result of separating merit from ability and work. As with any workforce, about 10-20% of those people in that workforce aren't cut out for the job. The problem with teachers - we never fire them. Those 10-20% fester and destroy.
Anything but your opinion on any of this?
Anything at all?
You've provided nothing but your opinion.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you send your child to 1st grade without basic reading skills, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school hungry, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without the basic tools, (pencils, copy book, erasers, etc.), you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without having checked their homework, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school dirty, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without a proper nights sleep, you've failed your child.

NO child should ever receive a report card until the 6th grade.....up to that point, the report card should be on the parents. And not based on test grades....it should be based on the things which I mentioned above.

Teachers are under extreme pressure and when they have to take time from other students in order to take care of your irresponsibility, they become less effective.
I couldn't agree more Parents are responsible for their children's failure to get an education, i see it all the time blaming the school while they let the kids stay up all night and never check to see if they do their home work.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
There have always been kids in every school or community whose parents were worthless.

It seems to me that the educrats would have devised a method to teach those kids by now.

But, the educrats still blame their failures on parents. Parents blame the schools, and the schools blame the parents. Politicians blame teacher's unions.

When are the people who build their lives around public education going to start doing what they are paid to do?

I'm talking about the people who design curriculum, write textbooks and churn out endless worthless tests that cost a
fortune. Plus the people who run the teaching schools and administrators who run the schools.

Johnny still can't read.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
If you send your child to 1st grade without basic reading skills, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school hungry, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without the basic tools, (pencils, copy book, erasers, etc.), you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without having checked their homework, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school dirty, you've failed your child.

If you send your child to school without a proper nights sleep, you've failed your child.

NO child should ever receive a report card until the 6th grade.....up to that point, the report card should be on the parents. And not based on test grades....it should be based on the things which I mentioned above.

Teachers are under extreme pressure and when they have to take time from other students in order to take care of your irresponsibility, they become less effective.
So I did all the things, you listed, for my child. My child still needs to learn basic arithmetic, phonics, reading, science, etc..................

Without a report card, how will I know how my child is doing?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM

If you are involved in their education you would know how they are doing.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
its the school ADMINISTRATORS that have failed the teachers and the students

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If you are involved in their education you would know how they are doing.
How many kids do you have?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM

None, why do you ask? If you know what kind of assignments your child has and he is struggling with something simple, you know he needs help in a cartain area , or all areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies