Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
The OP said obama did not get the job done. If presidents do not create or help create jobs, then why did obama promise it? Why did he say that the unemployment rate was going to be under 8% by the end of his first term?

Romney has saved jobs by investing in businesses. When a business grows they hire people. That should not be such a difficult concept. Some investments worked and some did not. Most did. For the ones that didn't, was he supposed to adopt the workers, take them home with him, and take care of them for life?

If he cares SSOOOOOOO much about makeing $$$$$$$ then why didn't he just stay at Bain and keep rolling it in? Why would he give his inheritance to charity? Why would he leave Bain and help the struggling Olympics? Why would he become Governor and give up his salary? You may just not like him, just can't stand Republicans, or are just in love with obama, but the descriptions you are giveing of Romney do not reflect his actions.
Where are the jobs?
you answer that first, and I'll give you the republican agenda again which was in the post you replied to.

Willard promises 14 million jobs. ya right.
pinch youself, smell the coffee, unemployment is around 8% in places.
Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

G00GLE is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually I've seen a lot people claim they will still vote Obama, even if they aren't particularly fond of him because they absolutely refuse to elect anyone from the current incarnation of the GoP. I know anti-Obama, birthers and conspiracy theorists who are leaning towards Obama because of how much they despite Romney and the current GoP.
Results man, results. 0bama has done everything wrong, our economy is in historic lows in most every area, and they will vote for 0bama why? Because they "think" Romney "could be" worse? How so, by what possible historical comparison??? The people voting for 0bama this time around are drones, non-thinking drones. There is no other answer, we have all seen what a pathetic job he has done, and how his policies are not good for the nation.

I hear people say we should give him another chance. Why? We gave him four years to do his magic, and he failed to bring it, even when his party controlled both houses of congress. When was the last time any president ever had such majorities in the congress before? Carter?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Welcome to the world of Democrats circa 2004. We had our Romney, now you've got our Kerry.

As Bill would say, "we feel your pain!"
Absolutely!! "Anyone but the other guy" is a terrible strategy, as the Dems learned with Kerry... you still have to field a desirable candidate.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Probably not, and it's why I don't understand or respect most Democrats. I live in the bluest part of a blue state and while people are happy to complain about the economy and complain about the additional tax burdens Obamacare will load on the middle class they wouldn't dream of voting for a Republican. People would rather stay stuck in the unhappy status quo than take a shot at a guy renowned for making big fixes.
Hit the nail on the head with that post. I'm conservative and thought Clinton did a decent job all things considered. But your right, libs will complain and vote the same guy that keeps them down right back into office

Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
How many moderate, Bill Clinton-esque Democrats do you think will turn on Obama in 2012? Of course the Republicans are going to vote for Romney, and of course the hard-core liberals will give Obama a 2nd chance. But how many people are slightly left of center, but might consider giving Romney a chance, after seeing the disaster of the 1st Obama adminstration.

Is it only Republicans that are dissatisfied with Obama? Or is it anyone with two eyes who does not live in a cave? Because i'm no Republican... i was a huge Bill Clinton supporter... but i am sick of hearing the excuses from the Obama adminstration for their inability to get the job done.

Good question. Social liberals should be totally disgusted with Obama since he has done absolutely nothing to advance social issues. Also, anti war liberals should recognize that he is a war monger.

So it's only the fiscal liberals who are satisfied with his performance. And fortunately for him, that is what the Democratic party has become; Social conservatives and fiscal liberals.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,847 times
I'm no analyst but it appears to me looking at that chart things are looking up compared to previous years.

Our job's were shipped overseas to increase profits for the corporations, small companies went out of business they could not compete with the corporations.

Anymore there are few privately owned bakery shops, local drugstores, the corner store, the privately owned stationary stores where you could smell the ink and paper, the 5&10's, small discount shops, small department stores, fruit stores, butcher shops, meat packing companies (where you carried sides of beef and loaded up a truck) and paper companies what were bought out.

The big corporations put them out of business, now bakery goods are sold at the big super market chains, packaged in tight plastic boxes (and the taste is no good, too much icing and too heavy IMO) and too expensive, why with all the damn packaging you can hardly open the plastic.

Any local drugstore where I live is a skeleton of what it used to be, remember when you would stop there at Christmas time? Remember when they would give you a card for a free coke and you would sit down at the fountain while you waited for your prescription. Now we go to the big grocery store for rx's, flowers, they want to keep you in one place, sure its convenient, for who?

I loved the small stationary stores, they carried a variety of different items and gifts, now we have Staples, Office Depot etc. where you need to walk a mile to find something, employee's are limited.

The old 5&10's were nice, they had many different names and each one carried different things, you could sit down at the fountain, have a coke or hot dog, coffee and a piece of pie and continue shopping, if you got tired you could always sit at the fountain, you didn't need to look around to find a chair, stores don't want you to sit down now. The items were not in blister packages and the sales clerks remembered your name. Most did not have elevators and you needed to walk down or up the steps.

There were thousands of privately owned small department stores where you had the salesclerk who said hello and knew just what just your style in clothing was. You were able to have a charge account there and layaway.

People had cash them, dollar bills in our wallets, decent paying jobs.

Slowly the companies we worked for were all bought out, the skeleton's of building's left were torn down by corporations for new malls, chain restaurants etc

Then came the credit card, I remember the old Bank of America paper card, the clerk just filled that in, then the plastic one that you would put in the metal thing and run the handle back and forth to impress the card number.

Now we just slide it thru a machine, keep it on file with a online store, buy things with a phone.

Of course we have progressed but not on the good side as far as I'm concerned, the credit card and greed took over most of the country, before we had cash.

Most people were too busy working at there jobs to foresee the big picture to come, you cashed your paycheck at the local bank, interest rates on savings were good, there were no checking accounts and some employers paid you in cash. Friday's were payday, you got on the streetcar, got off, walked to a restaurant to eat and did some shopping, waited on the streetcar in cold weather, got back on with on with large paper shopping bags, got off and walked home, most people were happy, you went to the doctor and paid the bill yourself, no health insurance back then yet, then came health insurance......

Most thought their jobs would be secure.

Of course there were poor parts of town, I guess my family was considered middle class, most of us as kids were not allowed to walk the 1/2 mile to the poor side but most of us did anyway, the grownup's assumed the poor were drunks and no goods, that wasn't so and it isn't so now, I seen them pick themselves up and find a decent job.

Those days are long gone, yes I got to reminiscing, I'm sorry for those who never experienced it.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Results man, results. 0bama has done everything wrong, our economy is in historic lows in most every area, and they will vote for 0bama why? Because they "think" Romney "could be" worse? How so, by what possible historical comparison??? The people voting for 0bama this time around are drones, non-thinking drones. There is no other answer, we have all seen what a pathetic job he has done, and how his policies are not good for the nation.

I hear people say we should give him another chance. Why? We gave him four years to do his magic, and he failed to bring it, even when his party controlled both houses of congress. When was the last time any president ever had such majorities in the congress before? Carter?
I don't know why righties prefer to live in caves?
2 wars added.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33110.pdf

What the Tax Cuts Cost | Cost of Tax Cuts

Where's the jobs from job creators, recipients of the tax cuts? Just corporate welfare?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Obama might not be the greatest progressive, but the alternative is seriously off the deep end. Plus, we have yet to see what he could do if he had a willing congress on his side. The president can only propose budgets and policies. Congress needs to see them through by writing the bills.
Exactly

Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
A few will. Mostly those who are unhappy with matters and, when interviewed on TV, say "I think Romney can do the job. He's got that business background."

Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good question. Social liberals should be totally disgusted with Obama since he has done absolutely nothing to advance social issues. Also, anti war liberals should recognize that he is a war monger.

So it's only the fiscal liberals who are satisfied with his performance. And fortunately for him, that is what the Democratic party has become; Social conservatives and fiscal liberals.
Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 (2009; 111th Congress S. 181) - GovTrack.us

You'll get over this bad news for righties, it's just a matter of time.
Quote:
Obama might not be the greatest progressive, but the alternative is seriously off the deep end. Plus, we have yet to see what he could do if he had a willing congress on his side. The president can only propose budgets and policies. Congress needs to see them through by writing the bills.
Exactly. Some people using the forum have either forgotten that, or never knew it in the first place.

http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/...y-20-2009.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies