Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the dissolution of the United States?
I lean conservative, and I actually find the idea interesting. 35 22.88%
I lean conservative, and I am 100% against the idea. Period. 36 23.53%
I lean liberal, and I find the idea kind of interesting. 30 19.61%
I lean liberal, and I am 100% against the idea. Period. 52 33.99%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

End of the empire is it now? If so it's about right on time. Silly man never was any good at history.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
What is patriotism?
What are values?

Each person has their own perceptions, but IMO these is enough overlap in most of our perceptions to bind us together. IMO, given time, we could come to a consensus on what those words mean if we needed to.

I'll humor you and give you an idea of what patriotism is to me:

My father and 7 uncles fought to defend our country and our ideas of liberty between WWII and Korea. 2 were captured as POW's, 1 in Italy and one in the Philippines.

1 brother and 2 BIL's were drafted during the Vietnam war.

One son and 4 nephews joined the service after 9/11, and 2 are still members of the US military.

There is no way on God's earth that I would ever disparage their service, what they fought for, the freedoms they defended or the flag they represented.

They didn't fight so that our country could be divided, or that our society and our values would be tossed out over a presidential election or any other BS partisan game that we at home want to play. They fought so we COULD have the freedom to disagree, but in the end, unite.

For those 16 'reasons', I have to believe that we will continue, despite whatever partisan games people want to play, to be a united nation that cares about and protects each other.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
There is no way on God's earth that I would ever disparage their service, what they fought for, the freedoms they defended or the flag they represented.
I would define that as being unquestionably loyal. Do you believe that my assessment is in error, and if so, how so?

What if you discovered that the Vietnam War was a terrorist invasion of a peasant country, and the U.S. butchered a prolific quantity of humans for no apparently justifiable reason? How would you reconcile your family members' employment in that war if that's the case? (For clarity, I've read quite a bit that makes this claim, but I haven't chased down the footnotes to confirm it, so I ask it hypothetically and don't want to suggest that it's a fact.)

Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I would define that as being unquestionably loyal. Do you believe that my assessment is in error, and if so, how so?

What if you discovered that the Vietnam War was a terrorist invasion of a peasant country, and the U.S. butchered a prolific quantity of humans for no apparently justifiable reason? How would you reconcile your family members' employment in that war if that's the case? (For clarity, I've read quite a bit that makes this claim, but I haven't chased down the footnotes to confirm it, so I ask it hypothetically and don't want to suggest that it's a fact.)
I don't go so far as to say that the wars they fought in were necessarily justified (namely the 3 that served in Iraq.) but I will never say that what their service was in vain. Fortunately during Vietnam, in which it has been documented that many atrocities occurred on both sides, one brother was sent to Korea, one to Guam, and one remained here in the US.

Don't know how I would feel if they had been involved in those situations. How do I feel that my father was a waist gunner on a B17 that flew bombing missions over Germany? It's war. Killing others was not a decision they took lightly, but it is what they did. After watching numerous planes take off and never return, I guess it gives one a little different perspective than what you or I may have.

Why do you find it surprising that I will not trample on the things they fought for? That is not an unusual situation.

WHOA!! And I don't recall that anyone had a choice once they were drafted. You're way off base if you're suggesting that any of them should have skipped out of the country to avoid the draft. Not the way it's usually done here.

Last edited by Mayiask; 11-03-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,382 times
Quote:
I don't go so far as to say that the wars they fought in were necessarily justified (namely the 3 that served in Iraq.) but I will never say that what their service was in vain.
Why not?

And aren't you suggesting that patriotism is unquestioned loyalty?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Don't know how I would feel if they had been involved in those situations. How do I feel that my father was a waist gunner on a B17 that flew bombing missions over Germany? It's war. Killing others was not a decision they took lightly, but it is what they did.
Any Mafia enforcer might make the same excuse.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Nobody saw the USSR ceasing to exist six months before it did.
At the time of the fall of the UUSR what was their GDP?

America is nowhere close to dissolving like the USSR....

Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,001 times
Quote:
So, you're claiming that, somewhere, sometime, the US will cease to exist? Do you see that in the near future? Curious, because I really don't see it any time.

I really believe in this:
I don't see it in my lifetime. I do see it in my son's lifetime. It simply cannot be avoided. In regards to your.....beliefs......ok, but don't expect everyone to share them.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
At the time of the fall of the UUSR what was their GDP?

America is nowhere close to dissolving like the USSR....
I didn't say we are six months away. But it wasn't the pathetic GDP that dissolved the USSR, it was nationalism and ideology.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Any Mafia enforcer might make the same excuse.
Every veteran thanks you for that comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies