Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No, there is an exemption for rent.

Not that I've heard about. The FairTax definitely taxes rent, as does the National Retail Sales Tax. Where is this exemption for rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not that I've heard about. The FairTax definitely taxes rent, as does the National Retail Sales Tax. Where is this exemption for rent?
If you fall under DHHS guidelines of the poverty level,
you would get a rebate for such

Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
Quote:
Republicans in Ann Arbor gave the finger to minimum wage workers when they blocked a Salvation Army proposal to open a rooming house for employed men within walking distance of downtown, which would have allowed these workers to live near their minimum wage jobs, instead of commuting from outlying communities.

Republicans took up the rallying cry of nearby homeowners, who argued that a rooming house would promote drugs, crime, and other social ills; and threatened to use the issue as a wedge against Democrats in upcoming elections, prompting Democrats to throw in the towel and abandon their support of the proposal.
So Democrats thought it was the right thing to do..until it threatened their re-election. That's some admirable conviction there.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
NO, your's is an argument for entitlement and laziness.
You get tips when you work service jobs.
Minimum Wage jobs are for the lowest of the skilled. It give one
purpose. It gives them income. It gives them work experience.

I would never agree with one who doesn't think a guy can't make a
living as a fruit vendor or by growing plants and selling them
Quote:
If you fall under DHHS guidelines of the poverty level,
you would get a rebate for such

According to what I've seen--you seem to think the ideal living scenario in America is poverty. This disdain for service-sector work is pretty rampant within the conservative base. You can think that minimum wage is for skill-less peasants, but reality is a cruel mistress; many people working on minimum wage are barely surviving on it. With kids. And families. And mortgages.

If it's worth paying someone to do--it's worth paying a living wage to do it. The minimum wage was instituted as a minimum livable wage, and congress has failed to act to keep that increased over time, and has failed to tie it to any metric on costs of living in the country. As a result, it's lost its power. It's no longer a minimum for being able to live--it's just enough to barely survive--maybe--if you aren't working two jobs already.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Republicans in Ann Arbor gave the finger to minimum wage workers when they blocked a Salvation Army proposal

Republicans took up the rallying cry of nearby homeowners, who argued that a rooming house would promote drugs, crime, and other social ills
They were Homeowners trying to protect their investment; property.
A lot of folks don't want half way houses, or anything
remotely related to drug rehab near their homes. That includes DEMS.

I've lived in metro area that was annexed, where we had multi M ranches
across the street from apartment complexes and such and that created
a stir because they were section 8 Apts and that was a DEM thing.

You are confusing political parties
from the simple fact that folks want to protect their property values if they own it.
Regardless of what anyone tells you, that's not a party thing...
that's a homeowner thing.

I think you need to come on over to the Libertarian Party
I'm not sure, you belong with the DEMS.
We help our neighbors when they need it
and we don't use the federal gov. as an excuse.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do it. See how quickly this nation cycles backwards when you do.

oh yeah, the country goes backwards when you stop giving 1 group of citizens other peoples money. it is not like the money that the federal goverment gets is its own, they do have to get it from someone. they have to steal it from the productive side of the country.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 11-11-2012 at 03:06 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
According to what I've seen--you seem to think the ideal living scenario in America is poverty. This disdain for service-sector work is pretty rampant within the conservative base.
Oh please, I've worked as a maid, a waitress. I even had a job once scrubbing barnacles
off a boat, underwater

The problem with folks like you, you think you have it harder than everyone else,
and you think everyone that has made it, never had it that hard.

You insult America, you insult educated people, and you insult anyone who ever
thought of bettering themselves in this country or anyone that just plain worked
their ass off.

I'm not a Republican. But you know what, I'd pick them over a whiny spoiled
Dem any day. Even my 18 year old son who works with the elderly with open
ulcers and amputations does not feel as entitled as you act...

And on top of all that, my husband was a surgeon in Desert Storm,
and WE OPPOSE WAR. You simply don't have a clue how other
folks live.

If my life consisted of just looking at other folk's 1040's or Schedule C's
in envy, I'd ...get my priorities straight.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Oh please, I've worked as a maid, a waitress. I even had a job once scrubbing barnacles
off a boat, underwater
Fantastic. Why do you seem to think everyone should live such a glamourous lifestyle?

Quote:
The problem with folks like you, you think you have it harder than everyone else,
and you think everyone that has made it, never had it that hard.

You insult America, you insult educated people, and you insult anyone who ever
thought of bettering themselves in this country or anyone that just plain worked
their ass off.
What do you find insulting? That people shouldn't have to work 60 hours a week to make ends meet? Being a maid, or a waitress, unless you're bankrolling some really nice tips, will not lead to solid financial security. You're not retiring at 17k a year.

Quote:
I'm not a Republican. But you know what, I'd pick them over a whiny spoiled
Dem any day. Even my 18 year old son who works with the elderly with open
ulcers and amputations does not feel as entitled as you act...
I didn't call you a Republican, but you're certainly conservative. I'm an idealist--I can see the world better than it is and strive to make it so: If you seem to think that makes me entitled, I don't want to be anything less.

Quote:
And on top of all that, my husband was a surgeon in Desert Storm,
and WE OPPOSE WAR. You simply don't have a clue how other
folks live.

If my life consisted of just looking at other folk's 1040's or Schedule C's
in envy, I'd ...get my priorities straight.
Not being a bean-counter, I don't know why you bring that up. You won't get a mortgage on a minimum wage job. It's a damn shock that people are able to survive with families on it, and I know there are people out there with kids working multiple jobs and still part of the "taker" class as you *******s put it, still struggling to make ends meet.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

I know there are people out there with kids working multiple jobs and still part of the "taker" class as you *******s put it, still struggling to make ends meet.
No, I didn't call anyone a taker. I called folks on welfare that should be working, leeches.
Reading comprehension isn't a Dem's best friend, is it....

Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
First, define wealthy. Going forward at the pace we have set for the "safety net" the number will have to go much lower, say, 44k per year and up. Or, anyone that has a job, no matter what the salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies