Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

There are certainly parts of some states, red or blue, where you wouldn't catch me after sundown.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We get alot of red state visitors where I work, and they are fine, friendly, warm people. The times I've been in red states and spoken with the locals I found them all to be the same way, often way more friendly than people in "blue" states, but that is really just based on anecdotal evidence and not indicative of anything . I am often reminded that no matter ones politics, at the end of the day we are all still Americans, and good folks are everywhere.

Damn. You and I agree on this. Great. A rep for you.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And what excuse does your Liberal brothers in Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, LA have ?
Were your conservative bretherens anscestors enslaved, subject to jim crow laws, denied access to education and jobs, segregated in ghettos, lynched, not given voting rights, treated worse than animals etc.?

There is simply no excuse for whites to be dirt poor in a white dominated and controlled country.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Is it scary to drive through states like Oklahoma or Mississippi?

I imagine road trips are a nightmare for liberals.
It must be the sight of all those American flags flying and happy, smiling people waving to one another that's unsettling to their tender sensibilities.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It must be the sight of all those American flags flying and happy, smiling people waving to one another that's unsettling to their tender sensibilities.
It probably has more to do with the butt-ugly landscape and the layer of filth that covers nearly everything in the South. People in the upper Midwest never appreciate the cleanliness of their worlds until they venture south. It's remarkable. The cultural differences do not end with overt bigotry and religious fundamentalism, they extend into things like putting your trash in waste cans, keeping your yard tidy, washing your hands and cleaning public restrooms.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Scared? No.

Disgusted? Frequently.

Disgusted like people get going through Detroit and other seedy places in Michigan?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Disgusted like people get going through Detroit and other seedy places in Michigan?
It disgusts them to see their fellow whites live in deplorable third world conditions and exhibit third world behavior such as religious fundamentalism, illiteracy and bigotry.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
It probably has more to do with the butt-ugly landscape and the layer of filth that covers nearly everything in the South. People in the upper Midwest never appreciate the cleanliness of their worlds until they venture south. It's remarkable. The cultural differences do not end with overt bigotry and religious fundamentalism, they extend into things like putting your trash in waste cans, keeping your yard tidy, washing your hands and cleaning public restrooms.

This is just ignorant BS.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have been all over the South and it is as beautiful as any other part of the country. Only ignorant bigots say things like this. You are blinded by regional hate. How stupid is that?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Not sure why nobody has attempted to dispel the RED STATES/BLUE STATES myth. This is a purple country, very little red OR blue.

The latest election.

I've seen another map that applied dots for every 100 votes. The vast majority of the west was white with no noticeable dots.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
This is just ignorant BS.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have been all over the South and it is as beautiful as any other part of the country. Only ignorant bigots say things like this. You are blinded by regional hate. How stupid is that?
I'd agree with you to a point. But In many ways the poster is correct. There are many dirty, broken down areas in the south, the lack of good paying jobs and many years of neglect have made many areas of this country, mostly small towns and rural America, into vast wastelands. Add to that the abuse of the earth, expoitation without restoration....

All that occurs everywhere though, NY NY can be a nasty dirty place, grime, trash and years of smog make it a place you don't want to touch. The rust belt cities have many years of neglect.

But having driven all over this country, east of the Mississippi, in our RV the south does have more rural and small town squalor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies