Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You can't really just throw a whole state into one category.. When I first moved to California I thought for sure it would be deep blue enemy territory and I would be the only Republican. Such was definately not the case, Obama won my county but it was extremely close, and I live in a fairly large city (stereotypically a strongly Democrat category).
It is? I always thought of the San Diego metro as being more on the conservative side, especially when I visited there, moderate conservative maybe, but definitely conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is? I always thought of the San Diego metro as being more on the conservative side, especially when I visited there, moderate conservative maybe, but definitely conservative.
What I meant was large cities are typically a Democratic stronghold by default, hence why I was surprised San Diego was considerably more conservative than I would have thought. I disagree with the area being all that conservative in a national sense of the term, aside from a notable pro-military atmosphere.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Actually driving through Oklahoma was kind of sad because the part I drove through was extremely poor. The thing about driving through the red parts of red states is often there aren't that many people. For example when I was driving through the most conservative parts of western Kansas and west Texas there was just no one around. I have to admit it is kind of interesting to think that some of these places had more people 100 years ago then they do today.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
What I meant was large cities are typically a Democratic stronghold by default, hence why I was surprised San Diego was considerably more conservative than I would have thought. I disagree with the area being all that conservative in a national sense of the term, aside from a notable pro-military atmosphere.
It's hard to argue with an economy driver - San Diego is definitely a military city.

I neglected to give a shout out to our veterans here a few days a go.

To all who have served our republic through military duty - thank you.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The city is very moderate and the far right's social issues repel even right leaning moderates like garlic does a vampire. Constantly pandering to religious extremists is really hurting the Republicans in moderate areas. If they really because a small government libertarian party which butted out of the social issues (and instead let states decide) then they'd win a lot of these moderate areas over. If they keep trying to push extremist social issues then they'll just keep losing these regions.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,410 times
It's interesting what happens when coastal, blue county Californians venture into red CA territory. Back in 2008 the San Francisco Chronicle ran a story about the little town where we lived at the time. The article is hilarious. It was as if they discovered a primitive tribe in the rain forest.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
We know who you are and who you voted for. You can drive through Texas but we have highway spotters / cameras to keep track of the Liberals.

You can get gas and a hot dog but you need to get on down the road to California. Remember us Texans all carry 3 guns and we're a little bit crazy. Don't even stop to use the bathroom.

You've been warned.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 PM

9,139 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Paddle faster; I hear banjos.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Is it scary to drive through states like Oklahoma or Mississippi?

I imagine road trips are a nightmare for liberals.
No

(what a ridiculously stupid thread)

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Failed to mention... If you stop to buy gas in TX we load 1 illegal alien in the trunk of your car and you must drop him off in CA, NY, or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies