Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Grand Island, Nebraska is neither Grand nor an Island.
Discuss amongst yourselves.
Blue Island, IL isn't an island - but it most certainly is blue.

It does have that mesa thing going for it though, except for its politics, it would fit right in with certain parts of the Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 PM

408 posts, read 607,732 times
Quote:
In Florida, it's funny how people from the NY/NJ stand out in a crowd compared to Midwesterners and Canadians.

Does St. Catherine's St. in Montreal still have inexpensive prostitutes?
No! JUST got squeezed out by gentrification these past 2-3 years.. I almost felt bad, as I know it was a cultural institution of sorts, particularly in the hearts and minds of loaded American travelers. Now you have to go to the actually seedy part of town for hookers (of the street variety). No fun

Still, stripclubs galore... and those 10$ lapdances give a lot of bang for the buck! (probably 30$ if you're an American fratboy though)

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Central WV - Morgantown, Bridgeport, etc - is no different than any other snobby suburb. Southern WV ~ well, that could be a different story.

It's stupid to be afraid of any state.
Been to Logan, the drive there was an adventure. A long one lane tunnel that you'd just wait for no headlights and go and a 7 mile one way detour thru a holler, waited an hour for the last car to bring a red flag that the flag men used to figure when it was safe to send their cars in.

Davis is nice.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
But Oakland and Richmond are picnics in the park...
Richmond, CA or Richmond, VA?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Back when I used to wear a ponytail I was in a part of Oklahoma affectionately called "little Dixie" and some random guy couldn't believe I could have a job and a ponytail, "round hear boy 'you gotta take yer pick"
Eh, does having the pick mean growing an afro?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
It depends on the Red State. I spent a little time in Oklahoma and I will NEVER go anywhere near there again! It was the most racist place on Earth (except Tulsa which was alright) and the people were scary.
Tulsa thinks that they are going to be an Olympic city.

Tulsa to put in bid to host future Olympic Games

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
You can't really just throw a whole state into one category.. When I first moved to California I thought for sure it would be deep blue enemy territory and I would be the only Republican. Such was definately not the case, Obama won my county but it was extremely close, and I live in a fairly large city (stereotypically a strongly Democrat category).

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Nothing beats hitting a town you've never been to before, drinkin and hitting on girls.
Did the girls hit you back?

Oh, you mean "flirting". Never mind.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Is it scary to drive through states like Oklahoma or Mississippi?

I imagine road trips are a nightmare for liberals.
No, unlike right wing nutjobs we are not frightened of everything. It's true, you know? Studies have shown conservatives are very frightened people scared of their own shadows.

Study: Conservatives have larger ‘fear center’ in brain | The Raw Story

To compare liberals like new experiences and seek them out where as conservatives are afraid of anything new or different.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You can't really just throw a whole state into one category.. When I first moved to California I thought for sure it would be deep blue enemy territory and I would be the only Republican. Such was definately not the case, Obama won my county but it was extremely close, and I live in a fairly large city (stereotypically a strongly Democrat category).
San Diego was solid red not long a go. So was Orange County - but demographics are changing all that.

My part of Los Angeles County has been blue for a long time - but the congressional district just went Democrat. Now if I have a problem, I will e-mail Representative Sanchez.

I voted for Ben Campos - the Republican candidate.

http://benjamincampos.com/

Quote:
Benjamin Campos means business,

and business means jobs.

Jobs mean independence,

and independence means freedom,

and freedom means ….EVERYTHING
Too bad Mr. Campos didn't win.

Maybe next time...

Last edited by Harrier; 11-16-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies