Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
One is a mandate to lower the amount of petroleum fuel thats in the gas you buy at the pump, which means that its more of a domestic source. The other pays farmers not to farm.

I think most folks can logically understand why one is good, and one is bad.
I am missing the point........... We may as well sun dry corn stalks and grind them up and shovel them into the gas tank for all the power that will get.

Farmers should get paid to grow food not to grow fuel for internal combustion engines..

Hell if farmers want to grow hemp 3 times to harvest a year to run bio electrical plants fine, so be it, which would give farmers a real fuel to grow....

The only problem is that will put a end to OIL as we know it......... Good by toxic plastics..... Hello Baby biodegradables

Hemp wasn't made illegal because it got anyone high high high,,,,, Similar plant, but not quite......

Hemp was killed because of Infant Oil....... back in the 30's, when both were found to be in competition with one another and with out the Govt and LAW, oil would have lost....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
No they do the 85% ethanol (could be 100, minimum is 85%) at the service stations down the road. Of course we have a huge ethanol plant here locally, so. And flex fuel vehicles can run on 85% ethanol, 50%, whatever. Ethanol has a higher octane percentage, so you aren't robbed of fuel or power, it actually burns better, and supplies more power.

Small engines can be problematic, but newer ones are made to run on the ethanol fuels, there are usually local alternatives for 100% gas at a mark up, or you can opt for electric models like I have.
Well there is nothing like this in New England as far as i know yet...... I am sure there is nothing like this in NH at all.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am missing the point........... We may as well sun dry corn stalks and grind them up and shovel them into the gas tank for all the power that will get.

Farmers should get paid to grow food not to grow fuel for internal combustion engines..

Hell if farmers want to grow hemp 3 times to harvest a year to run bio electrical plants fine, so be it, which would give farmers a real fuel to grow....

The only problem is that will put a end to OIL as we know it......... Good by toxic plastics..... Hello Baby biodegradables

Hemp wasn't made illegal because it got anyone high high high,,,,, Similar plant, but not quite......

Hemp was killed because of Infant Oil....... back in the 30's, when both were found to be in competition with one another and with out the Govt and LAW, oil would have lost....
Like it or not, cars run on gasoline. That fuel, which has the widest distribution capabilities right now can be mixed with ethanol, so its more cost effective to put small amounts of ethanol in gasoline to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Hemp is a straw man, lets talk about ethanol. You know I agree with you that hemp should be legal..

Quote:
Well there is nothing like this in New England as far as i know yet...... I am sure there is nothing like this in NH at all.

E85 Stations

Looks like Boston is probably the closest for you. But they are out there. E-85.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
No, we have land that can be farmed for corn that wouldn't artifically increase corn prices.
But not the best for cornfields. The best is already fully utilized. Planting more corn is a matter of diminishing returns now for any late-coming farmers.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
But not the best for cornfields. The best is already fully utilized. Planting more corn is a matter of diminishing returns now for any late-coming farmers.
We can grow corn in the desert with the genetic modifications we've done.

I can show you on google maps at least 2,000 acres of farm land in NW Tennessee that I know of personally that makes excellent farm land that the government pays local farmers not to farm.

End the subsidy, let them farm it, corn prices go down.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM

LOL yeah more than 155 miles away there is 5 stations .... I think I will stay with as close to real gas as I can find, and the closest is only about 5 miles away. if i want I can by real gas going a bit further.

I prefer my grains in a liquid i can drink

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
LOL yeah more than 155 miles away there is 5 stations .... I think I will stay with as close to real gas as I can find, and the closest is only about 5 miles away. if i want I can by real gas going a bit further.

I prefer my grains in a liquid i can drink
The idea behind flex fuel is that they can run on any percentage of ethanol and gasoline equally well. The computer in the vehicle measures the specific gravity of the fuel, which then adjusts the timing of the engine to run on whatever type of fuel mixture you have in the vehicle.

They are all over the place down here, had lots of them in Michigan when I lived there. I didn't see to many of them in Florida.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Corn ethanol is a bad idea. I'm sure the corn lobby has a lot to do with that policy. Sugar cane ethanol is something like 8x more efficient than corn ethanol. Personally, I think electric is the future of cars. We could get enough energy from wind, solar, and nuclear to kick the oil habit for our vehicles.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Corn ethanol is a bad idea. I'm sure the corn lobby has a lot to do with that policy. Sugar cane ethanol is something like 8x more efficient than corn ethanol. Personally, I think electric is the future of cars. We could get enough energy from wind, solar, and nuclear to kick the oil habit for our vehicles.
Ethanol is Ethanol. Doesn't matter what its made from, its just how easy it is to extract CH3CH2OH from it. We don't grow much sugar cane in the United States, but we grow one hell of a lot of corn.

Brazil doesn't do a lot of corn, but has a lot of sugar cane.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree that the EPA is going too far with its ethanol mandate. 10% is plenty for most cars without modification.
There is a REAL reason for Ethanol and it is NOT any of the reasons you might think. The REAL reason the government requires Ethanol is because the addition of it limits the shelf life of gasoline which prevents people and companies from storing or stockpiling it. The government requires that gasoline be made of special "summer blends" in the summer months when people want to drive the most. That causes the price of gasoline to go up sometimes as much as $2 in the summer. The government feared that people and companies would do large scale storage of cheaper winter gasoline for use or for sale during the summer months. The addition of Ethanol makes that impossible because it makes the gasoline go bad after about a month of storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies