Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM

420 posts, read 335,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What? Are you out of your gourd? Why wouldn't the EPA employ engineers? Have you ever met an engineer before? Do you know engineers come in all sorts of flavors, fields, and varieties?
An environmental engineer does not develop internal combustion engines. That would be mechanical. No, I'm not out of my gourd (but I am a bit crazy. Watch out. No tellin' what I might do.), but I did type in haste.

Have I ever met an engineer before? So what if I have or haven't? What kind of ridiculous personal attack is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Like I said, we pay farmers about 2 billion dollars a year not to farm perfectly good farm land.

Let them farm it, save the taxpayer money, and let them sale that corn at profit. Puts more corn out of that 34 million acres, keeps food prices down, and has enough ethanol for keeping gasoline prices down.

Win/Win
We should quit doing both

Win/win

Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Engineering? NASA employs engineers, not the EPA.
Well some how the EPA passes quazzi law. Burning things with either no fuel or no air...

passing law for 15% ethanol when no engines are made to burn it, and what we have now eats fuel lines and gaskets.

Why not lets just make 100% and drink the stuff. I know I'ld be happy

Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No it does not, ethanol is more per galllon and has less BTU's per gallon to boot. The only reason it's used is becsue it's mandated by law it has to be used.
That's right and i forgot in my rant a few posts up 10% more at the pumps in cash ripped off.

There IS no valid reason to put ethanol in Gas....

Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We should quit doing both

Win/win
Replacing a certain percentage of gasoline with ethanol helps to break the middle eastern strangle hold on the oil futures market. Its good for farmers, its good for the country, its not a bad thing to do. Yes, it places more demand on corn and lowers supply for food, which increases corn values, and increases the price of food at the grocery store. That is generally offset by stabilizing fuel prices. However, we pay farmers 2 billion dollars a year not to farm land. We can simply not pay them that subsidy, still break the middle east strangle hold, increase corn supplies, lower fuel prices and lower food prices.

Even if we let the free market work, which we do, and let service stations charge less money for the ethanol fuel, consumers will buy the ethanol fuel.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it is taken into consideration by various branches/peoples within the government and they've made rulings based on those considerations which may or may not prove to be good. On the side of corn ethanol, I'm of the opinion that the regulations are wrong since even with heavily GMO'd corn (another hairy issue of its own) tailored towards producing corn ethanol, the conversion simply isn't very efficient. It would only make some sense if gasoline prices were to spike uncontrollably and yet our fertilizer and farming practices require little in petrochemicals which is simply untrue. Corn ethanol is mostly giant corporate lobbying for these things, and while I'm not against the concept of subsidies, I think this subsidy is not the way to go given our current and potential returns.
The only reason ethanol would make sense is if there were an engine that was built to run on it.

What it amounts to is about as good as adding saw dust to cornflakes.... You can make the saw dust pass your system and feel full, but you will be weak, and tired all the time from lack of energy. Then next make this mix of saw dust and cornflakes cost more for no reason by 10%.

Everything is based on 10% and all of that is loss.

Costs 10% too much gets 10% less MPG, loses 10% power, takes up 10% weight, and 10% storage of the gas tank.

Oh I just can't wait for the 15%.... And non techy people think it does something good because the goobermint put it there...

The one thing it does best is suck water out of thin air....... which contaminates the fuel.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The only reason ethanol would make sense is if there were an engine that was built to run on it.

What it amounts to is about as good as adding saw dust to cornflakes.... You can make the saw dust pass your system and feel full, but you will be weak, and tired all the time from lack of energy. Then next make this mix of saw dust and cornflakes cost more for no reason by 10%.

Everything is based on 10% and all of that is loss.

Costs 10% too much gets 10% less MPG, loses 10% power, takes up 10% weight, and 10% storage of the gas tank.

Oh I just can't wait for the 15%.... And non techy people think it does something good because the goobermint put it there...

The one thing it does best is suck water out of thin air....... which contaminates the fuel.
Engines in cars run perfectly well on the 10% ethanol and doesn't hurt them. There are others, like the Ford F-150 I used to have that can run on 85% ethanol fuels, got about the same mileage and cost a lot less. The main difference is the cost of the computer to measure the specific gravity of the fuel to adjust the engines timing for the fuel thats going into it. The metal fuel lines that are used in modern cars aren't hurt by ethanol.

Now, if you have an old boat, like the 1986 I had, then you don't want to run Ethanol fuels in that. But most folks have a car thats 2000 or newer, and those who have older cars can either run the 10% fuel and not worry about it, cause it won't cause them any problems most likely, or can find all gasoline stations that charge about 30% mark up on pure gas.

BTW, congrats on your most informative post

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Be sure to use sta-bil or something similar for your lawn equipment.
I'm on a new trimmer this year..the carb was shot due to ethanol..it was all gunked up and would have cost $75 to fix.
For $20 more I got another one but now I always put sta-bil in the gas can.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Be sure to use sta-bil or something similar for your lawn equipment.
I'm on a new trimmer this year..the carb was shot due to ethanol..it was all gunked up and would have cost $75 to fix.
For $20 more I got another one but now I always put sta-bil in the gas can.

Electric trimmers. Change out the battery and keep on trimming. Cheaper to buy electricity, a lighter trimmer, and far less maintenace. Same thing with my push mower.

Now, the riding mower, not a battery big enough for that yet

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
An environmental engineer does not develop internal combustion engines. That would be mechanical. No, I'm not out of my gourd (but I am a bit crazy. Watch out. No tellin' what I might do.), but I did type in haste.

Have I ever met an engineer before? So what if I have or haven't? What kind of ridiculous personal attack is that?
Sorry, you're right that was way over the line. It's not conducive to anything and I apologize. I don't think an engineer is restricted to someone who develops an internal combustion engine and along that line I ask you if you actually know any engineers. Civil, environmental, electrical, chemical, etc. are all engineers and many of them likely have to do some mechanical engineering in parts. Meanwhile, there are actual mechanical engineers under the employ of the EPA as there is a lot of monitoring devices that they must create, check, fix, etc. among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies