Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No similar reciprocity on the other side???????

Are you insane? Not a single Israeli was killed this year before Israel attacked. The IDF has killed over a hundred in the last few days.

They've been blockade for 5 years. The UN has documented hundred of cases where children have died from malnutrition and lack of medical technology.

What the hell would US citizens do if they were brutalized in this manner?
The fact that Israel has invested in bomb shelters and a anti-missile system that works is not an argument for them to accept a nation launching missiles onto their territory. Bank robbers failing to shoot through the banks bullet-proof glass does not relieve the bank robbers of culpability.

The insanity is world opinion, which always condemns Israel, for responding to Hamas behavior that those countries would not tolerate themselves.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
1. Israel Was Forced to Respond to Rockets to Defend Its Citizens
2. Israel Tries to Avoid Civilian Casualties
3. This Is About Security
4. Hamas Is the Problem
5. There is a Military Solution to this Conflict

Omar Baddar: 5 Lies the Media Keeps Repeating About Gaza

For anyone still eating up the propaganda of Zionists and their media allies, check this link out. Let's keep blaming the Palestinians for the deaths of their children.
Good post/link, thanks. The American media is completely pro-Zionist, except for Democracy Now and Pacifica. One has to look to other sources in the international community; RT, France24, DW, BBC, Al Jazeera, etc. I don't bother with the national broadcasts anymore, NBC, etc. It's good that Mubarek is gone, maybe Egypt and Turkey will stand up for Palestine now.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM

554 posts, read 736,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It always puzzles me: Why are Muslims and Palestinian sympathizers so fixated on the Israel vs Palestine problem. Syria will kill vastly more Muslims this year than Israel. Egyptian Muslims terrorize their population of 10 million Coptic Christians with regularity and with vigor. Turkey is currently illegally occupying half the island of Cyprus. Gaddaffi and Saddam Hussein murdered many many times more Muslims than Israel has in its entire history. It seems that bad behavior only matters when it's non-Muslims doing it to Muslims and that makes no sense at all.
You ask a good question and include fair points, but your conclusion is off the mark. The reason that it's such an important conflict is not because of the levels of blood letting involved, it's because 700,000 people (1) and their descendants were robbed of their land by European/Russian exiles, were never compensated, are refused the right to return. In many cases, these are people who still have their front door keys and title deeds to their houses in Israel which were allocated to European immigrants by the Israeli Government. While it might be a relatively small war compared to others in terms of casualties, it's one of the (if not the) largest cause of stateless refugee's in the world. The countries surrounding Israel are all heavily affected, most have refugee camps full of Palestinians numbering in the hundreds of thousands.

This unhappy situation is compounded, because in large part the reason that Israel was able to get away with what it has done, is because of Western financial and military support which enabled the well-equipped and trained Israeli's to defeat the numerically superior Arab armies. This has caused great animosity towards the West in the countries touched by the conflict, because they sent their sons to fight in a series of morally sound wars, only to see them killed and defeated by weapons given to the Israeli's for free from the United States and (at least in earlier decades) Europe.

Quote:
If Israel really was this bloodthirsty genocidal monster they're made out to be, they'd have bombed, blasted and gassed the Gaza strip into oblivion years ago. If they're such monsters, why haven't they?
The inception of the Israeli State causes a great deal of justifiable anger among those who have suffered and continue to suffer the consequences of its creation. Some people like the Palestinians themselves and surrounding Arab States who are flooded with refugee's, have suffered that directly and naturally speak with anger about it. Those not directly affected who have empathy for the Palestinians and their plight are often driven to distraction by the unwillingness of Israeli sympathisers to acknowledge the great moral injustice visited upon the Palestinian people, and this exasperation often leads people to make exaggerated remarks of the sort you identified.

Israel is not a bloodthirsty genocidal monster. Israel produces many great things and has many great people. However, Israel is a country built on land largely stolen from its rightful inhabitants, and Israel has not seriously committed itself to rectifying its immoral legacy with compensation to its victims or a right of return. That is why it's important.

Eoin

(1) 1948 Palestinian exodus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
You ask a good question and include fair points, but your conclusion is off the mark. The reason that it's such an important conflict is not because of the levels of blood letting involved, it's because 700,000 people (1) and their descendants were robbed of their land by European/Russian exiles, were never compensated, are refused the right to return. In many cases, these are people who still have their front door keys and title deeds to their houses in Israel which were allocated to European immigrants by the Israeli Government. While it might be a relatively small war compared to others in terms of casualties, it's one of the (if not the) largest cause of stateless refugee's in the world. The countries surrounding Israel are all heavily affected, most have refugee camps full of Palestinians numbering in the hundreds of thousands.

This unhappy situation is compounded, because in large part the reason that Israel was able to get away with what it has done, is because of Western financial and military support which enabled the well-equipped and trained Israeli's to defeat the numerically superior Arab armies. This has caused great animosity towards the West in the countries touched by the conflict, because they sent their sons to fight in a series of morally sound wars, only to see them killed and defeated by weapons given to the Israeli's for free from the United States and (at least in earlier decades) Europe.

The inception of the Israeli State causes a great deal of justifiable anger among those who have suffered and continue to suffer the consequences of its creation. Some people like the Palestinians themselves and surrounding Arab States who are flooded with refugee's, have suffered that directly and naturally speak with anger about it. Those not directly affected who have empathy for the Palestinians and their plight are often driven to distraction by the unwillingness of Israeli sympathisers to acknowledge the great moral injustice visited upon the Palestinian people, and this exasperation often leads people to make exaggerated remarks of the sort you identified.

Israel is not a bloodthirsty genocidal monster. Israel produces many great things and has many great people. However, Israel is a country built on land largely stolen from its rightful inhabitants, and Israel has not seriously committed itself to rectifying its immoral legacy with compensation to its victims or a right of return. That is why it's important.

Eoin

(1) 1948 Palestinian exodus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A roughly equal number of Arab Jews were also kicked out. They settled in Israel. Where the hell else were they supposed to go? To a Europe that had just engaged in the mass murder of Jews? To America? To deeply anti-Semitic Muslim countries?

You can't possibly talk about the conflict and ignore them. A teacher of mine was a Yeminite Jew. She also had the key to her house. I don't see her and her Israeli descendents lobbing missles at anyone. Where the hell is HER compensation?

The land was largely uninhabited before the Jews moved there. When the Jews moved to a land where they had lived for a few thousand years, they were slaughtered by the hundreds by Muslims who allied themselves deliberately with Hitler.

They have been repeatedly offered another state since, to go with the one they have in Jordan. They ignore the offering, feed their kids hatred and then wonder why they sit in camps instead of having a successful society like their Israeli neighbors.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
1. Israel Was Forced to Respond to Rockets to Defend Its Citizens
2. Israel Tries to Avoid Civilian Casualties
3. This Is About Security
4. Hamas Is the Problem
5. There is a Military Solution to this Conflict

Omar Baddar: 5 Lies the Media Keeps Repeating About Gaza

For anyone still eating up the propaganda of Zionists and their media allies, check this link out. Let's keep blaming the Palestinians for the deaths of their children.
I might have lent a couple of your points some merit till you used "Zionists" in your wording. Yea...the evil ZOG Huh? Spare me. I find it interesting how even the most ardent leftist bunny hugger types can hold hands and sing Kumaya with the skinheads when Israel is the subject.
Itz easy to sit anx scream about the evil Zionist baby killers when the rockets aren't falling on ones house.
The Hell with Hamas. If I were an Israeli, I would be fighting mad. Though I am no real fan of Israel, (past deeds still anger me in whch Americans died for furtherance of Israeli aims) I dont hold shooting back when shot at against them.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
It's what happens when huge players in the media are loyal to Israel rather than the truth. It's time we stop being the protector of Israel and consider our own interests and correcting the wrong that started in 1948 with taking land from the Palestinians. I work in Saudi so I here the Arab view about the situation but it's too bad our media is not focused on the truth but rather a political entity.
The truth, but the truth as Saudi people see it. I wonder if Arabs are all a bit bitter that they have been defeated so many times in their half-a**ed attempts to destroy Israel. I love you saying that Saudis tell the truth about this one.

Hey, my favorite war of all time was the 6 Day War and a woman who had worked for various British oil companies throughout the Middle East told me that the Arabs couldn't beat the Israelis because of how their minds work. For instance, Egyptians kept telling their leaders they were winning when they had left their armored vehicles and were fleeing on foot for the canal. Yeah, I believe them about all this.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
have you tried asking yourself why hamass keeps firing crude ( relativley harmless ) rockets into israel

israel keep on building new settlements on pallestinian land , despite calls by everyone including the usa ( albeit in a toothless fashion ) , to cease doing so

i thought americans saw ones own property as sacred and worth defending
So you didn't see any of the news a few years ago about Israeli troops dragging people out of some to those places to make the Palestinians happy and then Hamas moving in and firing rockets a bit deeper than they could before? I wonder why you missed that.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Uh huh.
I clicked the link and read it. Article reeks of an opinionated piece written by an anti-Semite. Judging from the rest of your post, I'm not surprised.
I clicked on that one, saw who wrote it and just forgot to read it since I knew he had to be an anti-Semite and just left.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Hamas has now stated there will be a ceasefire at midnight their time. Its nearly 8pm there now. Lets see how long it lasts and who shoots off the first shot at 0001 (a minute after midnight).

Hamas official: Israel, Gaza militants agree to ceasefire | Maan News Agency

Well that was short. Seems Hamas forget to tell Israel about it and expected Israel to accept all their conditions for it.

Quote:
"The Israeli side has not responded yet, so we will not hold a (news) conference this evening and must wait until tomorrow," Ezzat al-Rishq, a senior Hamas leader, told Reuters. "The truce is now held up because we are waiting for the Israeli side to respond,"
Hamas, Egypt: Gaza-Israel truce d... JPost - Diplomacy & Politics

4 more killed in Gaza as truce delayed | Maan News Agency

Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Ever notice that when muslims conquer a country they destroy all the standing religious symbols and replace them with their own like a dog marking its territory. The Al Aqsa mosque comes to mind ontop of the Jewish temple ruins as well as those in many other places in other countries.
You mean like all those Spanish cathedrals built on the ruins of Mayan and Aztec temples?

I know, of course I'm joking because Indians obviously don't count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies