Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
For instance, Egyptians kept telling their leaders they were winning when they had left their armored vehicles and were fleeing on foot for the canal.
That sounds very familiar...

Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
have you tried asking yourself why hamass keeps firing crude ( relativley harmless ) rockets into israel

israel keep on building new settlements on pallestinian land , despite calls by everyone including the usa ( albeit in a toothless fashion ) , to cease doing so

i thought americans saw ones own property as sacred and worth defending
Um, grammar please. Thanks.

There is no excuse for Hamas using women and children as human shields, hiding in their homes, Mosques, etc.

Like another poster said, you fail to condemn that.......... I don't care whose taking your land. Most Palestinians don't want to kill Jews.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You don't have to educate me. I'm fully aware of the WHY, which has nothing to do with innocent people being killed. You think it's only about property?? You have a lot to learn if you think that's all it is.

You seen to be OK with Palestinians using women and children as shields, embedding themselves in populated neighborhoods and lobbing missiles from points where they are surrounded by innocent people - men, women and children. That may work for you, but for me it doesn't for me. Does Hamas think that Israel won't strike back knowing there are innocent men, women and children there? Israel doesn't give a flying **** where the missiles are coming from and Hamas knows that, yet Hamas continues to hunker down in populated neighborhoods. Where do you think Palestine is aiming their missiles, into the desert?

I guess you are of the opinion that because Hamas deliberately embedded itself in populated areas where there are innocent children, Israel shouldn't fire back and just allow Hamas to continue to send missiles across until they run out or move to a deserted area. More than likely they will run out of missiles before the move and hundreds of more innocent people will die.

What the hell does "relatively harmless" mean? Should Israel ignore those "relatively harmless" missiles? If it can kill someone, if it can hit a gas tank in the back of someone's house, if it hits a school with children or an occupied home, it's not harmless.

I think it can be summed as the saying goes: guns don't kill people, people kill people. Hamas is killing their own people.

Hamas initiated this exchange. Apparently they were shooting off missiles for some time before the election, and it's not until after the election Israel took action. Another post election coincidence?? Can only wonder what Nettie was promised, the same way Putin has been promised something.
Mostly agree with everyone you say.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
1. Israel Was Forced to Respond to Rockets to Defend Its Citizens
2. Israel Tries to Avoid Civilian Casualties
3. This Is About Security
4. Hamas Is the Problem
5. There is a Military Solution to this Conflict

Omar Baddar: 5 Lies the Media Keeps Repeating About Gaza

For anyone still eating up the propaganda of Zionists and their media allies, check this link out. Let's keep blaming the Palestinians for the deaths of their children.
Tell me how to take out a rocket launcher without civilian casualties when it's parked in a street surrounded by apartment buildings.

The Palestinian's have launch hundreds of rockets and mortars into Israel from January 2012 to October 2012. If Mexico or Cuba were doing this to the US, we would have already invaded them and destroyed their capability to attck us any further.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Um, grammar please. Thanks.

There is no excuse for Hamas using women and children as human shields, hiding in their homes, Mosques, etc.

Like another poster said, you fail to condemn that.......... I don't care whose taking your land. Most Palestinians don't want to kill Jews.
So they voted for the terrorist organization Hamas to head their government and rule over the Gaza Strip?

Ahhhh, the peace loving Hamas

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Muslim).

"Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it." (The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

Hamas Charter

Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So they voted for the terrorist organization Hamas to head their government and rule over the Gaza Strip?

Ahhhh, the peace loving Hamas

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Muslim).

"Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it." (The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

Hamas Charter
Do you expect anti-Jews and common leftists to read that and believe any part of it? I don't think they will do so but pointing out truth to them now and then is good.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The Israeli government and it's IDF is just as bad as the Nazi's. How ironic

Your country, Israel has been morally degraded. That's why you come on here and gloat and make excuses for kids being murdered.
I'm sorry, where are the Israeli's putting their concentration camps and millions of dead corpses?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
US voters need to wake up. Right wing Jews in the USA have been able to take over US Middle East foreign policy. They take your military ( along with your soldiers lives) and use it to further Israel's strategic goals to brutalize Arab peasants and steal land. Billions are squandered funneling them tax payer dollars while the USA is undergoing enormous problems with our budget. Our media is of no help. They put these make shift rockets these peasants launch that land in vacant fields on the front page, while the fact Israel has killed over a hundred in the last few days, is reported on page 12. It's no wonder most Americans are clueless as to what is going on.
Are you over there right now?

If not, you are just as clueless.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm sorry, where are the Israeli's putting their concentration camps and millions of dead corpses?
More Photos From “Concentration Camp” Gaza | Israellycool

Google Translate

Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM

554 posts, read 736,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
A roughly equal number of Arab Jews were also kicked out. They settled in Israel. Where the hell else were they supposed to go? To a Europe that had just engaged in the mass murder of Jews? To America? To deeply anti-Semitic Muslim countries?
When we talk about affairs as delicate as this, it's important that we use appropriate language because even a simple expression can make all the difference. For example, when you say that "a roughly equal number of Arab Jews were also kicked out [of Arab countries]" that's not a completely accurate description of what happened. There was unquestionably a huge upsurge of antisemitism in Arab countries around the time of the 1947-48 war, and in most Arab countries there were instances of killings of Jews and damage to Jewish properties and businesses. Against that backdrop, it's understandable that Jews would want to leave, I know I would. But while Jewish people had rock solid reasons for wanting to leave those countries; with the notable exception of Iraq, there weren't any deportations of Jews. Arab Governments did not round up their Jewish populations and put them on a plane.

Indeed with the exception of Iraq, Arab countries tried with varying degrees of success to prevent their Jewish populations from emigrating to Israel. One of the ways Arab Governments sought to discourage Jewish emigration was by forcing those who did emigrate, to sign over their land and property to the state of the country they were leaving. Ostensibly, this was to discourage Jewish emigration, however it would also be true to say that they wanted to profiteer on the possessions of Jews leaving the country, while simultaneously preventing that wealth from moving to Israel. When the discussion arises over compensation for Jews who fled Arab countries, the effects of this policy are what is being referred to. If the question is, "Do Mizrahi Jews who had their property confiscated deserve to be compensated for it?" Then the answer is - of course they do! However, when you say that they were kicked out, you're only really talking about Iraqi Jews. There were clear push factors pushing Mizrahi Jews to leave Arab countries, and I explained above what these were, but the distinction between what happened to Jewish and Palestinian refugee's is an important one for reasons I'll come to.

Before I do, we must also consider the pull factors acting on Jews in Arab countries. For instance, the Israeli Government went to great efforts to try and attract as many Mizrahi (Arab) Jews to Israel as they possibly could. They made travel arrangements and guaranteed housing on arrival to the immigrants. These arrangements were even supported by the US and UK, who provided transport aircraft to move those seeking to travel to Israel. The reasons that Israel was so keen to attract the Mizrahi Jews was so that they could claim this idea of a population transfer.

Your post here is a perfect example of this 'population transfer' attitude. The rough idea goes something like this: "Roughly the same number of Arab Jews fled to Israel as Palestinians who weren't allowed back to their homes in Israel - therefore, everything's fair and square and everyone's happy!"

Except not everyone is happy. With the exception of Iraq, no Arab Government consented to this idea of a population transfer. The whole idea of a population transfer was purely in the interests of Israel, so that it could strengthen its Jewish population and strengthen its legitimacy by appealing to this notion of population transfer. But population transfer idea ran completely contrary to the wishes of Arabs and Arab Governments for the same reasons.

None of this detracts from the genuine need for Jewish refugee's to be compensated, however for a fair assessment of history, one must acknowledge several key differences between the Jewish and Palestinian refugee's.

1. Israel wanted as many refugee's as possible to legitimise the idea of a population transfer.
2. As such, Jewish refugee's were helped to immigrate, and this in turn was financed by the US/UK/France.
3. Arab countries did not want any refugee's, they wanted the dispossessed Palestinians to have their land back.
4. As such, Palestinian refugee's remained in refugee camps.

Even though both sides have genuine cases for compensation, there is not an equivalence between the experience of Palestinian refugee's and Jewish refugees.

Quote:
The land was largely uninhabited before the Jews moved there. When the Jews moved to a land where they had lived for a few thousand years, they were slaughtered by the hundreds by Muslims who allied themselves deliberately with Hitler.
I'm afraid you might need to take a seat, whoever taught you your history has failed you. Palestine (including what is now Israel) was not sparsely inhabited before the Zionist movement showed up, it had a large and growing Arab population with small Jewish and Christian minorities. The Ottoman/British census records of Palestine are as follows(1):

1800: 7,000 Jews, 22,000 Christians & 246,000 Muslims
1890: 43,000 Jews, 57,000 Christians & 432,000 Muslims
1914: 94,000 Jews, 70,000 Christians & 525,000 Muslims
1947: 630,000 Jews, 143,000 Christians & 1,181,000 Muslims

If that's not enough for you, and you know who Ahad Ha'am was try this. (If you're Israeli and you don't know who Ahad Ha'am was then I recommend you find out.)

Quote:
From abroad, we are accustomed to believe that Eretz Israel is presently almost totally desolate, an uncultivated desert, and that anyone wishing to buy land there can come and buy all he wants. But in truth it is not so. In the entire land, it is hard to find tillable land that is not already tilled; only sandy fields or stony hills, suitable at best for planting trees or vines and, even that after considerable work and expense in clearing and preparing them- only these remain unworked. ... Many of our people who came to buy land have been in Eretz Israel for months, and have toured its length and width, without finding what they seek.
Ahad Ha'am, 'Truth from Eretz Yisrael', 1891 (1)
If for some reason even that isn't enough for you, then you're in need of an entire history lesson. At this link (2) is the best academic online source I've found for you covering the relevant history of Israel, edited by none other than Benny Morris. (Although he's a raging Zionist and I'm not a fan of some of his more recent anti-Palestinian outbursts, he's the perfect historian from my perspective because you really can't accuse me of any bias.)

Quote:
They [the Palestinians] have been repeatedly offered another state since, to go with the one they have in Jordan. They ignore the offering, feed their kids hatred and then wonder why they sit in camps instead of having a successful society like their Israeli neighbors.
If you can forgive me for saying, your understanding of the legal position of Palestinians is about 40 years out of date. Palestinians can not move to Jordan. Palestinian citizens who moved to Jordan prior to 1967 were granted citizenship because Jordan had effectively annexed the West Bank, but obviously this ended after the 1967 war when Israel occupied the West Bank. Jordan stopped accepting Palestinians as citizens in 1988 when it withdrew its territorial claim to the land, and it revoked the citizenship of Palestinians who did not ordinarily live in Jordan.

Your claim that the Palestinians have a 'choice' over their situation, but 'choose' to live in the conditions they do is derogatory towards the Palestinian people and I think you ought to have chosen your words more carefully.

Eoin

(1) Demographics of Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(2) Benny Morris, Editor: Making Israel, University of Michigan Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies