Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
yep,
apparently 12/hr WITH STOCK OPTIONS isnt enough for UNSKILLED workers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
CNBC was reporting that only about 50 Walmart workers boycotted, and they were joined by union members from I think the food workers union.
Fifty? Out of 1.3 million employees in America? That's just 0.000038%. Hmmm...I think those people have a little ways to go.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times
Vignettes of Black Friday - NYTimes.com

Wal-Mart boycott: Strike prompts liberal boycott, but do boycotters shop at Wal-Mart anyway?

The Herald-Sun - Demonstration held outside of Durham Wal Mart-

I see some listed here. I think the company will eventually be unionized through the efforts of organized labor and labor-friendly legislators.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
So were any Wal Marts actually boycotted? Or did employees wuss out and show up for work like usual? I can't find a single thing anywhere in the media showing a boycott at any store, and the local Wal Mart in my town opened up without a hitch.
Seems to be a washout. From what I understand, a small few WM employees walked, but there were more "union" people that were bussed in and marched around to make it look like it was effective.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Vignettes of Black Friday - NYTimes.com

Wal-Mart boycott: Strike prompts liberal boycott, but do boycotters shop at Wal-Mart anyway?

The Herald-Sun - Demonstration held outside of Durham Wal Mart-

I see some listed here. I think the company will eventually be unionized through the efforts of organized labor and labor-friendly legislators.
wont happen

they wont let the union thugs win..all the unions do is make things more expensive for the average american

Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yep,
apparently 12/hr WITH STOCK OPTIONS isnt enough for UNSKILLED workers
I'd say that cake decorating is definitely a skill, a vast number of people are probably incapable of doing it to any desirable degree. But here is my problem with this woman:

Quote:
Ferreira made $11.90 an hour decorating cakes in the Supercenter's bakery. "I love to decorate cakes," Ferreira said Wednesday. "That's my priority -- to do my cakes the best I can."
Quote:
Ferreira said that the wages Walmart paid were far too low to survive on
Stop waiting for someone to GIVE you a "liveable wage" and instead figure out a way to EARN a wage to survive on. What is stopping this woman from making and decorating cakes at home. I'm sure she can do a few for friends, family, co-workers and so on at home to supplement her income. Maybe it turns into a full time business that lets her stop working for Walmart. I mean the cost to start making and decorating a few cakes cant be that much, but I guess it is easier to blame her employer rather than take things into her own hands and make something for herself. It genuinely makes me sad that people are so reliant on others and don't have the initiative to try and do something on their own.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Gee, a company telling a vendor it will only buy something at a certain price. Ain't that horrible.
I suppose people with simple minds will over simplify an issue, but if anyone bothered to read the info provided within the link, they would clearly see that it is not just "buying something at a certain price" that is the problem...

Quote:
In any sense of the definition, Wal-Mart is in complete violation of American antitrust legislation, yet it has always been able to sneak past these rules, albeit in full sight. It is undeniable that Wal-Mart is a monopoly in America, if not in the entire world. The epitome of anti-trust legislation that depicts the shift away from monopolies prior to the later part of the 20th century is the implementation of The Sherman Act in 1890. This crucial part of business law is the Supreme Court-issued device that was able to break up Rockefeller’s Standard Oil. Government was able to step in to regulate such a monopoly before, even though it was reducing the cost of oil for the American public by nearly 70 percent, so why will it not do so with Wal-Mart?
Read the rest at the link if you actually want knowledge as to what Walmart is getting away with....though my guess is that you will not.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I boycott EVERYONE between November 15 and December 31, no problem because I have already stocked up by then in my freezer and pantry what I will need.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times
'Walton Jobs lock hundreds of thousands of workers at the poverty level. Walmart needs an underclass of workers who are financially desperate enough to work part-time for $8.90 an hour. These people aren’t worried about the Fiscal Cliff—they have already gone over it by working at Walmart.
A 2011 research brief by the Center for Labor Research and Education at UC Berkeley concluded that “jobs created by Walmart in metropolitan areas pay less and are less likely to offer benefits than those they replace…Walmart workers earn an estimated 12.4% less than retail workers as a whole, and 14.5% less than workers in large retail.”

Walmart CEO Memo on Meeting with Obama "Equal Parts Arrogance and Ignorance"

Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wont happen

they wont let the union thugs win..all the unions do is make things more expensive for the average american
Unions are who made working conditions better for the workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies