Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just looked at another thread about conservatives calling African-Americans dumb for voting for President Obama. What I have asked is this: What incentive has the Republican Party, since 1968, given to African-Americans to vote for a Republican candidate?
A similar question could be asked of Democrats.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Who cares? You keep pointing to the Southern strategy and it's been conclusively shown African Americans broke for Democrats back under FDR. Blacks can vote for whomever they like, I think it's silly to reflexively vote for the same party year in and year out while never demanding much in return but hey it's America. You're free to be stupid.

But there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. Evidently Obama did about 15 points worse with African American males between 18-29. Romney actually got about 20% of their vote. Black women 18-29 on the other hand went 99-1 for Obama.
Young Voters Supported Obama Less, But May Have Mattered More | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
I point to the southern strategy because that is when Blacks STOPPED voting Republican. You are missing my point. I'm not talking about when Blacks started voting Democrat. I'm talking about when Blacks stopped voting Republican and why that happened. President Obama might have done 15 points worse with Black men between the ages of 18-29, but we are talking about the entire Black voting population, not just one age group. And if you are talking about age groups, you might want to talk about economic groups as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,921 times
If there was a black republican candidate the blacks would vote for that person as well. They are voting that way because they are voting for their own race. it has little to do with party affiliations.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A similar question could be asked of Democrats.
When Lyndon B. Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act, that brought alot of Blacks to the Democratic side. Blacks voted for Johnson in large numbers in large part because of what Johnson did.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
If there was a black republican candidate the blacks would vote for that person as well. They are voting that way because they are voting for their own race. it has little to do with party affiliations.
Then why have Blacks voted Democrat in large numbers since 1968? I even have data to prove that to you in my first post.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Why haven't more conservatives confronted the fact that minorities basically feel alienated from the Republican Party? Michael Steele has done it. Why isn't there more discussion about it?
You have alienated the republican party and have a closed mind to hearing us. We are not a party of pandering. Although we believe in helping the poor we don't like lifers. We believe strongly in self suffieciency and oportunity but Obama is attacking these Americans. We are a threat to his agenda. He wants people dependent on the government because the more who are dependent the more powerful he is. Listen to the battle over the tax hikes and you see it in action today.

He wants to tax people who take a risk and build a business, hire people and because of higher taxes and obamcare taxes businesses will "have" to cut back by laying off more people. These people now become dependent on the government and exactly what Obama wants.

We are open to anyone who will hear us out but there is a liberal media using racism, anger etc to keep your mind closed.

Although we are now being held hostage because so many of you don't understand cause and effect. Your minds are closed.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post

So, prey tell how do you explain black registered Independents, of which I am one, voting Independent and for white men for more than 4 decades? At the end of the day your assumption is not a one size (or in this case race) fits all. It is beyond ignorant to assume that all people of any race voted solely on that premise. Did you vote against Obama because he is black?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You have alienated the republican party and have a closed mind to hearing us. We are not a party of pandering. Although we believe in helping the poor we don't like lifers. We believe strongly in self suffieciency and oportunity but Obama is attacking these Americans. We are a threat to his agenda. He wants people dependent on the government because the more who are dependent the more powerful he is. Listen to the battle over the tax hikes and you see it in action today.

He wants to tax people who take a risk and build a business, hire people. We are open to anyone who will hear us out but there is a liberal media using racism, anger etc to keep your mind closed.

Although we are now being held hostage because so many of you don't understand the hardships we went through to get where we are. Your minds are closed.
Republicans do as much pandering as Democrats do. Look at Reagan: In ethnic pandering Obama can't top Reagan

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
When Lyndon B. Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act, that brought alot of Blacks to the Democratic side. Blacks voted for Johnson in large numbers in large part because of what Johnson did.
First, LBJ did not pass the Civil Rights Act, Congress did. Second, the Civil Rights Act would never have passed Congress had it not been for Republicans. The majority of Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act, with Senator "KKK" Byrd giving a 14 hour filibuster in order to try to prevent the measure from coming up for a vote.

If you think blacks cast their vote for the bigotted Democrats of the 1960s for the Civil Rights Act, then you are obviously not very bright. Blacks cast their vote based upon who will give them more of other people's money, and that has always been the Democrats since the 1910s.

It is very obvious, based upon their voting record, that blacks would prefer to rob the treasury than obtain liberty or do what is best for the nation, and there are plenty of Democrats willing to rob taxpayer's blind to stay in power at all costs, the nation be damned.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
We've all hear "I owe.. I owe.. so off to work I go. If you don't go to work, you lose it all.

Obama refuses to give spending cuts and our debt increases we will lose it all. More people working and the government gets more tax revenue and read above, Obama does not want this. he wants an economic collaspe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies