Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My solution is to not restrict my rights, but to ask, why more people wouldn't exercise their right, to have protection from the loonies(they are every where) with them just in case... You never know in this dog eat dog world we live in today.

My 1911 has been going more and more, with me.

No one in that theater was armed. Just think if everyone in the theater was armed. He would not have thought about stepping foot in there.
Thankfully I do not live in the kind of environment that you describe. My environment is considerably different, but potentially just as dangerous. More of a "bear eat moose" type of environment than "dog eat dog."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
With a gun-grabber in the whitehouse embolding people to start calling to ban assault weapons, I have a question.

What makes this:

More dangerous than this:

They both put identical bullets downrange at identical velocities. Since F=ma, the damage caused by these rifles would be identical. Yet the top one is demonized because it "looks scary". Does that make any sense whatsoever??
A better question:

Why is this

More dangerous than this

The first one is an assault weapon under the 1994 Federal ban. The second one is not. Let's hear it experts- why is the first one more dangerous?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
A well trained anyone is dangerous with any decent weapon. I prefer my k98k with ZF39 scope.
They sure are. This one is JUST for the folks in the other thread who seem to think those four thugs never getting out of their vehicle is a passage to being "a victim" and completely innocent. It shows not only that you don't need to get out of a vehicle to fire, you can take cover with the vehicle and use it to your own advantage. The less folks know about weapons and "what" can be done, the more harm they are. I hope to hell none of them get picked for jury duty in that guys case.

"They didn't find a shotgun".....so they must be innocent.

Well...no duh...if it was a illegal sawed off shotgun, they sure didn't want to get caught with it. That's an added Federal charge to whatever else they might have done.

Navy SEALs Instruction -Muzzle Awareness and Discipline - YouTube

Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
A well trained anyone is dangerous with any decent weapon. I prefer my k98k with ZF39 scope.
Here's another one. Damn...I saw that on 6th Street last Friday night.

Shooting from a moving Vehicle - YouTube

Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
With a gun-grabber in the whitehouse embolding people to start calling to ban assault weapons, I have a question.

What makes this:

More dangerous than this:

They both put identical bullets downrange at identical velocities. Since F=ma, the damage caused by these rifles would be identical. Yet the top one is demonized because it "looks scary". Does that make any sense whatsoever??
How about the collapsible stock, higher fire rate, the shorter barrel length, pistol group, and the high capacity [30 round magazine]. Should I continue or do you get the point? They are both dangerous and the caliper is the same but the purpose is different.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
A better question:

Why is this

More dangerous than this

The first one is an assault weapon under the 1994 Federal ban. The second one is not. Let's hear it experts- why is the first one more dangerous?
I don't know if you are referring to the magazine size, but the Romney gun ban mentions AR-15 by name, so the magazine size would not matter. Romney-Ban bans both of the above rifles today in MA. It matters with handguns though, because he also banned larger capasity magazines for handguns.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-05-2012 at 05:05 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How about the collapsible stock, higher fire rate, the shorter barrel length, pistol group, and the high capacity [30 round magazine]. Should I continue or do you get the point? They are both dangerous and the caliper is the same but the purpose is different.
The rate is the same in the semi auto configuration of the hunting rifle and the magazines will interchange.. Buy yeah,,,, It looks real scary... woogy boogy....

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Actually both of your illustrations were banned in 1994.

A semi-auto with two or more of the following items, telescopic stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, and the ability to accept a detachable magazine. Your picture at the bottom has two or more of the above...

BUT

That is besides the point since the law was silly and totally ineffective.

Remove the flash suppressor and voila a perfectly legal "assault rifle"

Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If the day comes when someone shoots up a movie theater with their vote,killing and maiming 70 people,your idea may have merit.

guess what, politicians made those laws, not the people. it is also the right of the business to limit firearms if they want. it is also the theaters responsibility if something does happen to protect those people.

if everyone in that theater would have been armed, do you really believe that that jerk would have attampted to do what he did, somehow i think not.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
That's not completely true. A 5.56mm NATO SS109 M855 can't be fired in a .223 Rem weapon. It can/could blow it up. What makes the AR more dangerous? A well trained U.S. Marine. That civilian "hunting" rifle isn't in the same league.

I disagree. My Mini 14 digests either without complaint. The military ammo is loaded a tad hotter. Still no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies