Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, only now I'm laughing at you for trying such a preposterous analogy.
How is that preposterous? Your pie chart seems to jokingly preclude that a minority can't opress a majority, but don't let history get in the way of your tunnel vision though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
When Atheists are constantly in the news this time of year for attacking public displays that represent the religious beliefs of the majority of Americans, is there any wonder that it reflects poorly on Atheists as a whole? Moderate Atheists should shun these people who spend their time in the spotlight making all Atheists look like petty, condescending jerks.
When christians are constantly in the news this time of year for whining about public displays that represent their religious beliefs and ONLY THEIR religious beliefs as if they own the entire country and they're perfectly free to advertise their religion on their OWN property is there any wonder that it reflects poorly on christians as a whole? Moderate christians should shun these people who spend their time in the spotlight making all christians look like petty, condescending jerks

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
boo hoo hoo, poor wittle atheists are society's victims and martyrs, persecuted for their religion
And yet Christians have already started their annual whinefest and throwing fits like toddlers at the mere mention of the words "Happy Holidays".

Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
It's not my pie chart, but I'll play along.

Somehow you claim that the political power of Christians in the United States is equivalent to the political power of blacks under apartheid.

I suppose this is why it is impossible, or nearly so, to find a single atheist holding elective office in the United States.

Or why Christmas, a Christian holiday, is also a national holiday.

Or why virtually every presidential address and debate ends with a request for god's blessing.

Or why every session of Congress and the Supreme Court starts with an invocation of god.

Or why presidents and members of Congress are sworn into office using a bible.

Or why the Pledge of Allegiance and our currency have all had references to god inserted in them.

Or why government buildings and schools and other public buildings are regularly decorated with ornaments in honor of the Christian holiday of Christma.

Or why several American states still have constitutional or statutory provisions prohibiting atheists from holding public office.

Or why the Boy Scouts of America bans atheists from membership or leadership positions.

Or why Americans would rather have their children marry a member of any other group than an atheist.

But you don't like it when you hear that atheists don't agree with your religion? Yeah, Christians--poor, oppressed majority.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's not my pie chart, but I'll play along.

Somehow you claim that the political power of Christians in the United States is equivalent to the political power of blacks under apartheid.

I suppose this is why it is impossible, or nearly so, to find a single atheist holding elective office in the United States.

Or why Christmas, a Christian holiday, is also a national holiday.

Or why virtually every presidential address and debate ends with a request for god's blessing.

Or why every session of Congress and the Supreme Court starts with an invocation of god.

Or why presidents and members of Congress are sworn into office using a bible.

Or why the Pledge of Allegiance and our currency have all had references to god inserted in them.

Or why government buildings and schools and other public buildings are regularly decorated with ornaments in honor of the Christian holiday of Christma.

Or why several American states still have constitutional or statutory provisions prohibiting atheists from holding public office.

Or why the Boy Scouts of America bans atheists from membership or leadership positions.

Or why Americans would rather have their children marry a member of any other group than an atheist.

But you don't like it when you hear that atheists don't agree with your religion? Yeah, Christians--poor, oppressed majority.
This list seriously ticks me off, and I am a practicing Christian.

I had the pleasure, and yes, it was a pleasure, of attending a performance this past weekend by the U.S. Air Force Academy Band (with vocalists). It was a wonderful evening, and, if I had been in church I would have felt right at home. However, the performance was held, as it apparently is every year, in a public high school and while they did play some non-religious holiday favorites ("Jingle Bells"), the program was awash with things like "O Holy Night" and ended with the ubiquitous "God Bless America."

Again, it was a wonderful performance, but, it was an all too perfect illustration of what that young West Point cadet was fighting against in our military.
As a Christian, I want to be able to worship freely and I do. I also want those who do not share my faith to feel comfortable in the same public venues and institutions that their tax money is also paying for.

I find it downright embarrassing that this is even an issue in the 21st century.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Maybe a little but things are changing fast. The word "atheist" isn't scary anymore and it's taking a lot of the power away from religious folks who used to be able to use that word as a weapon. But THEY are the ones who brought it to the forefront of public debate and now they are going to loose their grip because educated and intelligent people aren't falling for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sadly, it is pretty clear reading many of the posts on this forum that this is the case.

In this season when we purportedly celebrate the birth of someone who is honored for attempting to bring love of one's neighbor to the forefront, maybe, just maybe it is time to regard that "log" in our own eyes.

"GENEVA -- Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven countries can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued Monday.
But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States that favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders."

'Like lesser Americans': Atheists face discrimination, persecution, report says - World News
Noted.

How can you be discriminated for beliefs when you don't have any?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good. I'm glad this is being discussed. I believe the U.S. is undergoing a big transition in the way we look at freedom, liberty, and individual rights. It'll be good if more atheists feel comfortable coming out of the closet. There are still many parts of the country where being openly atheist can lead to discrimination and social ostracism.
You would have the liberty you say you desire if not for government.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Noted.

How can you be discriminated for beliefs when you don't have any?
Nice try at condescension. But we're used to that from "Christians", so I'll ignore it and actually explain it to you on simple terms.

We believe quite strongly that your sky god doesn't exist.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Nice try at condescension. But we're used to that from "Christians", so I'll ignore it and actually explain it to you on simple terms.

We believe quite strongly that your sky god doesn't exist.
Believing that something doesn't exist is not a belief.

Why not just ignore it?

I don't wish to convert anyone, but atheists are constantly trying to indoctrinate others with the false pretense of "separation of church and state" or "freedom from religion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies