Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times

Advertisements

I just watched Martin Bashier on MSNBC and his guests poo poo the Foxx comment as just a joke. We do not let the neocons get away with that line of crap and I will not let the Libs get away with it. If he would have said he killed all the white slave owners bla bla it could have maybe passed but it was all the white people in the film how great is that, and the brain dead audience applauded. This is no different to me than when tea baggers hold up racist signs like put the white back in the white house or any of the other crap they then pawned off as a joke. Its hypocritical on our side to not stand up and say, Foxx has a right to say what he did but I do not agree with it. Its wrong.

We defend political correctness against all the attacks it receives and then try to play this off as just a joke. Well if more people do not stand up and say its over the line, then we have no ground to stand on the next time someone on the Right says some insensitive 'joke' about the president or some black person.

We have to stand by our principals when its inconvenient or they are not principals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Good for you. Sadly i think this will be a short thread. Libs please prove me wrong.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
I just watched Martin Bashier on MSNBC and his guests poo poo the Foxx comment as just a joke. We do not let the neocons get away with that line of crap and I will not let the Libs get away with it. If he would have said he killed all the white slave owners bla bla it could have maybe passed but it was all the white people in the film how great is that, and the brain dead audience applauded. This is no different to me than when tea baggers hold up racist signs like put the white back in the white house or any of the other crap they then pawned off as a joke. Its hypocritical on our side to not stand up and say, Foxx has a right to say what he did but I do not agree with it. Its wrong.

We defend political correctness against all the attacks it receives and then try to play this off as just a joke. Well if more people do not stand up and say its over the line, then we have no ground to stand on the next time someone on the Right says some insensitive 'joke' about the president or some black person.

We have to stand by our principals when its inconvenient or they are not principals.
Well I applaud you but I have to ask --- you're just noticing this now?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Conservatives were upset with Bill Maher's misogynistic comments about Hillary Clinton, as well as other women. It's rare when a liberal is willing to be consistent and stand up to bad behavior when they see it, no matter which political views the people hold.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
But for this forum I would never have heard anything about this, guess I don't watch FOX as much as some of you.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post

You better tone it down, they might cull you from the herd.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Good post, I've been arguing that the country is moving backwards away from MLK's dream for the last decade, and part of the reason is the widespread double standards, which are inherently divisive. We get unending false accusations of bigotry agains one group, and blanket immunity for another. It doesn't take a genius to see how that foments division.

Good to know that there are still some principled liberals left.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, What I did notice was the piece MB on MSNBC did with Goldie Taylor saying it was a joke it was a artistic lis. thing. bla bla bla. The piece was done about an hour ago and it was BS. As I said above its hypocritical. We lambaste and rightly so when the right tries this crap and what we use the same crap and say its OK? BS BS BS. It was a garbage piece. MB and Goldie Taylor and that other black guy, can't remember his name, should have said, it was a joke but it was over the top. It went too far. This in my mind diminishes some of the left now when they cry about someone on the right says that they don't' have to worry about where they were born or what ever then say its a joke. You can not just say its a joke and use it as a get out of jail free card. If you do then its a card both left and right can use.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Conservatives were upset with Bill Maher's misogynistic comments about Hillary Clinton, as well as other women. It's rare when a liberal is willing to be consistent and stand up to bad behavior when they see it, no matter which political views the people hold.
Bullspit. Conservatives will defend to NO END whenever "their people" say something offensive, even when it's coming from a politician... but if a liberal makes an arguably offensive comment, even if they're a comedian, they want him/her strung up from the nearest tree. So the partisan blindness comes from both sides, and only those with objectivity & no official political persuasion can actually step back and judge each comment individually. I think Bill Maher is hilarious, and find very few of his jokes offensive - but I'd say the same about any comparable conservative-leaning comedian (do they exist? ), if their jokes were funny too. Do you know the difference between a joke and a serious statement, or do you just look to see if it came from (and/or is directed at) a liberal vs conservative?

As for Jamie Foxx, I don't even know what he said - so I'll have to reserve judgment until I'm home, where I can actually view the video clips. But no, I don't generally find jokes about killing anyone to be particularly humorous. Of course, I'm not a partisan hack like so many on this forum.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM

I know you on the right will hate his name but one person who would not go too far, he would poke fun sure, but he would not go over the top and called it when someone did right or left. Was Keith Olbermann. I saw him on several occasions Rain in someone on the left for saying some comment about killing, or something over the top. When people like Goldie Tyler are so Visceral about this because its the liberal side it makes me feel that some people are for blacks just because they are black. People have to be taken one at a time. There are some on the right I do not agree with,but I think they mean well, Mike Huckabee is one, Michael Steel is another I don't agree with them but I think they are genuine and mean well. Some like Limbaugh I think no one really knows what he thinks he is just playing to the people who will pay him for his speech.

Liberals were and are the ones who hold up political correctness as a banner, but if people like Martin and Goldie keep going its not going to be worth toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies