Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Really think about your comparisons and get back to me. What exactly is different about Europe.

BTW how's those reforms working out in Europe lately?
Ok, I'll bite. One difference that I see in favor of your argument is that we have a large "underclass" of African Americans that we created through our history of slavery and subsequent subjugation. We're still struggling with the after-effects of that, and the roots of that are well prior to the Great Society.

But, on the other hand, European nations have a lot of North African immigrants, and there were a lot of Gypsies in central and eastern Europe who were "underclasses" there - I know their stigma well, given my family history in Europe.

So it's still not clear to me - bit of a toss-up. Maybe we can form an argument that poverty rates in Europe are lower. Now it's your turn to really think about it and get more specific in your answer.

As for the fiscal reforms in Europe...they do not change the fundamental truth behind the way this chart looks. I didn't say that Europe is a problem-free utopia; I said that they have orders of magnitude lower rates of gun homicide, which they do. So let's stay on topic and discuss why the chart looks the way it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
It's so incredibly obvious, even though the gun lobby doesn't want to admit it.

150 years ago, there were zero road deaths.

This is because, there were no cars.

Now we have a horrific road toll, due to most people being able to afford/access cars.

This is despite the fact that road users are required to be tested and licensed.

Now, think about how many guns are in your society. Then think about how many of those gun owners are properly tested and licensed..."properly" meaning, being assessed as requiring a gun, showing knowledge on how to safely use that gun, adequate secure storage, the appreciation that you are actually wishing to own a killing stick and should have a good reason for why, instead of the knee jerk "right" to own one.

Your gun laws are what's at fault, not the guns themselves. Easy access, a violent mentality, and acceptance of weaponry in suburbia...these factors are what cause your sky high gun homicide rate.

The inability of many Americans to understand statistics (our country is bigger of course we're going to have more...huh???) the refusal to accept that the 2nd Amendment is now hopelessly outdated and inappropriate for our modern violence soaked world, the irrational belief that guns dont kill people (wtf????) the fallacious argument that cars kill more people than guns, and just the pure selfish attitude that "its my right so screw everyone else", is what is leading you down the road to Hell.

One of our PMs, John Howard, called gun ownership "The American Disease". Most of you are infected, and don't even know.
Yep, and we're screwed because at this point there is no going back and removing hundreds of millions of guns from our country. The NRA has had its way for decades, and now anyone who can physically pull a trigger has a gun or twenty and, depending on their mood, are capable of killing dozens of people at any time. Of course, that will all be solved when every citizen carries heat to stop every perceived threat. Won't that be a lovely day

Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
The U.S. has a HUGE problem with violent Blacks.

U.S. Population by Race:
White: 78.1%
Black: 13.1%

Gun Homicides by Race:
White: 41.9%
Black: 56.4%

Rates reported by the Bureau of Justice Statistics for Whites and Blacks include the Hispanic portions of those populations, so I listed the comparable U.S. Census data for the purpose of direct comparison.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, I'll bite. One difference that I see in favor of your argument is that we have a large "underclass" of African Americans that we created through our history of slavery and subsequent subjugation. We're still struggling with the after-effects of that, and the roots of that are well prior to the Great Society.

But, on the other hand, European nations have a lot of North African immigrants, and there were a lot of Gypsies in central and eastern Europe who were "underclasses" there - I know their stigma well, given my family history in Europe.

So it's still not clear to me - bit of a toss-up. Maybe we can form an argument that poverty rates in Europe are lower. Now it's your turn to really think about it and get more specific in your answer.

As for the fiscal reforms in Europe...they do not change the fundamental truth behind the way this chart looks. I didn't say that Europe is a problem-free utopia; I said that they have orders of magnitude lower rates of gun homicide, which they do. So let's stay on topic and discuss why the chart looks the way it does.
Excuse me I stayed completely on topic except for the penis post but that was a rebuttal.

Your asking for an indepth Cultural analysis, because no other answer will suffice. Taint gonna happen in this forum. Great Debates might be a good place but I suspect it will get kicked back over here.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yep, and we're screwed because at this point there is no going back and removing hundreds of millions of guns from our country. The NRA has had its way for decades, and now anyone who can physically pull a trigger has a gun or twenty and, depending on their mood, are capable of killing dozens of people at any time. Of course, that will all be solved when every citizen carries heat to stop every perceived threat. Won't that be a lovely day
We did.

Maybe not hundreds of millions, but hundreds of thousands of guns were surrendered in a national gun "Buy Back" after Port Arthur.

My FIL at the time was a good old country boy (gun ownership is common in rural areas due to critters) and had a couple of illegal shotguns tucked away.

Of course he was all "they aren't getting MY guns" until his mates at the barber told him how much they received for their sacrificed guns.

It wasn't $10 or $20, it was hundreds of dollars per weapon.

Once my anti-government, anti-buyback FIL reaklised just how much cold hard cash he could make, he surrendered them all and crowed about how much he got paid.

Yes it cost the Government a lot...but so did the Port Arthur massacre, in sheer loss of life, emergency services costs, the investigation, the trial, and so on.

Every so often the Police will stage another Gun Amnesty, for people to surrender illegal weapons without punishment. Even in my small state, every amnesty brings in hundreds of surrendered guns.

It can be done.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Here is a good graphic. Dont see where Latino's fit in though.

The New York Times > Week in Review > Image > An Accounting of Daily Gun Deaths#

Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Gun violence is a deeply embedded part of American history. How did America get its freedom, with guns. How did America defeat the Indians, with guns.

While most people may thing of guns as a form of personal protection and for hunting. There have always been those Americans who have sought to resolve problems and disputes with guns.
As opposed to all those other European countries who fought with... oh yeah, guns.

The rest of the world has been fighting wars with guns as long as America has.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Look on the bright side: compared to third world countries, the US isn't so bad when it comes to homicides.

The graph is simply liberal bias propaganda because it is comparing America to developed Western nations.
How does a graph of facts become liberal, or do you just hate facts, that seems to be a trend among some right wingers. Since when are Canada and Austrailia Western Nations.

The number of guns, lack of control and the violent culture are parts of the problem. People in high crime neigborhoods perpetuating violence, those that embrace the using guns like it's a religion, total disrespect for human life and last but not least a huge paranoia.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The U.S. has a HUGE problem with violent Blacks.

U.S. Population by Race:
White: 78.1%
Black: 13.1%

Gun Homicides by Race:
White: 41.9%
Black: 56.4%

Rates reported by the Bureau of Justice Statistics for Whites and Blacks include the Hispanic portions of those populations, so I listed the comparable U.S. Census data for the purpose of direct comparison.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
So as a proportion Young black Males are committing the largest proportion of homicide gun deaths and most against other blacks. Seems clear to me what we need to do. Ban Blacks from having guns. Hows that gonna work out?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Lot's of men with tiny penises?
You liberals must be fanatically insecure about that the way you constantly bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies