Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:06 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Uhh, liberal generally refers to more social rights and a social safety net.
And gun control. And yet given all that, Chicago has more violent crime. Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Stop lying. Post stats. Go ahead, I'll take them apart bit by bit.

That doesn't even begin to touch on your obvious use of the correlation/causation fallacy.
I don't know why you're afraid of sensible gun control. It wouldn't hurt to be more careful about who has access to guns.

The Geography of Gun Deaths - Richard Florida - The Atlantic

Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And gun control. And yet given all that, Chicago has more violent crime. Hmmm...
Chicago has a high crime rate and strict gun laws, therefore gun laws don't work, despite the fact that there are countless other examples of cities with strict gun laws that also have low crime.

It's like saying hospitals don't work because a patient died.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The normal people who don't feel the need to have an arsenal in our homes are getting fed up.

And we vastly outnumber the gun nuts. So if we can get gun control on the ballot the gun lovers are in trouble. We have the right president to help us get it done and he is highly motivated now.
Well you ordinary folk need to speak up.

And LOUDLY.

You can't just sit on your hands waiting for your politicians to listen...ordinary nonviolent Americans have to MAKE them listen.

The NRA has a very tight hold on the political scene in the US, and they haven't got there without support and encouragement and funding from a lot of wealthy people.

You have a few dictating the lifestyle of the many, which is the exact opposite of Democracy.

In Australia, we would be camped out on the lawns of Parliament House by now, protesting.

We would not, as a nation, sit by and let our children be slaughtered in their schoolyards, just so some rich guy can have a fancy gun collection and go shooting at critters in his downtime.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,602 times
Quote:
there needs to be more nuanced statistics given when they talk about violent cities. I am not disputing the chicago has a murder problem.

What is more important is are the murder/gun crimes thug on thug, innocent victims, etc. People/the news are desensitized towards murder, gun crimes, etc when it's gangbanger shooting up gangbanger.

Situations like shady hook, columbine, and aurora catch the national attention much more.

What percentage of chicago's murder rate/gun crime innocent victims, mass shootings and what percentage is criminal on criminal?

The sad fact is, if most of chicago's gun violence is south side gangsters shooting up each other, most people/the news just wont care all that much as it's not 'their problem'.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Chicago has a high crime rate and strict gun laws, therefore gun laws don't work
Exactly.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
there needs to be more nuanced statistics given when they talk about violent cities. I am not disputing the chicago has a murder problem.

What is more important is are the murder/gun crimes thug on thug, innocent victims, etc. People/the news are desensitized towards murder, gun crimes, etc when it's gangbanger shooting up gangbanger.

Situations like shady hook, columbine, and aurora catch the national attention much more.

What percentage of chicago's murder rate/gun crime innocent victims, mass shootings and what percentage is criminal on criminal?

The sad fact is, if most of chicago's gun violence is south side gangsters shooting up each other, most people/the news just wont care all that much as it's not 'their problem'.
Exactly. 90% of Chicago is safe. Crime is concentrated into extremely bad areas, which is still unfortunate of course. But to say Chicago's gun law has been a failure because gangsters are shooting gangsters in the ghetto like they always have is silly.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I don't see many countries listed like mexico;just for one.I also think murder rates in most areas of the country have dropped but gone higher in some areas and amoung some groups. That murder is and has been the leading cause of death amoung young black males is alarming. The rate in say Chicago having set a new record two month earlier this year also is.Also if you take the US and look at types it makes a huge difference ngenral safety..Like such as during another crime against a stranger verus known person.This is a big diverse country compared to say UK. In many countries we don;t even know its so violent there with conflict. Een lookigat murders by catagory of reason is alrmigsay compared to the 50's.Beig a perso who wne tto school i the mid 50's to mid 60's ;its alarmig that we see the need for camus police now with none then ;at elast anyhwere I was raised. Now we see Colleges havign not just a few camus polcie who were mostly secutirty typre bu actaul large forces.It sya one thing ;that we have a more genrally violent scoiety and it not isolate i area so much.

Last edited by texdav; 12-15-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly.
Glad to see you're in the mood for a mature discussion. Guess I win since the best response you could come up with is purposely misquoting me.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Chicago has a high crime rate and strict gun laws, therefore gun laws don't work, despite the fact that there are countless other examples of cities with strict gun laws that also have low crime.

It's like saying hospitals don't work because a patient died.
Same fallacy used by the pro gun control crowd when they refer to Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know why you're afraid of sensible gun control. It wouldn't hurt to be more careful about who has access to guns.
I believe they call that "moving the goalposts".

Gun control in this country is not currently set up in that way, so this has no relevance to the statistics you're referencing.

The background check system is national. It's the same in Alabama and New Jersey. What's different is concealed/open carry law and other restrictions on use. Absolutely nothing about who is allowed to purchase a gun, except in extreme circumstance such as DC before Heller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Pretty much goes in line with what I said. The only place in which liberal gun laws definitively correlate with higher crime is in the mid south, MS, LA, etc.

Northwest, Far northeast, midwest, all have liberal gun laws.

Mid atlantic has strict gun laws.

And again, you're singling out gun crime, which at the end of the day, doesn't matter. What matters is crime.

Tack that onto your causation fallacy, which would obliterate your argument even if you were to completely destroy me on geography of gun crime, and your argument is looking pretty weak.

Quote:
Exactly. 90% of Chicago is safe. Crime is concentrated into extremely bad areas, which is still unfortunate of course. But to say Chicago's gun law has been a failure because gangsters are shooting gangsters in the ghetto like they always have is silly.
No it's not. Gun control is supposed to stop gun crime, right? And Chicago, despite strict gun control, is one of the most violent cities in the country.

You can only use this line of logic against someone arguing that liberal gun laws will make Chicago safer, because they would have no basis for that argument. You can not however use it to argue the reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies