Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I love shooting cans and targets with my 10/22 rifle.

Most will argue its a pretty ineffective gun to kill someone with.

People that are so Anti-gun, 90% of the time never fired one. It is just another hobby to enjoy. It is also guranteed in our constitution. I enjoy shooting paper targets, golf balls and bottles. Hell I would probably tear up a little if I shot a squirrel.

My mom hated and depiised guns. Last time she visited I forced her to come out and shoot mine. She loved it and had a grand time. She isn't going to go get a gun herself, but she had a fun time, and I am sure would not hesitate to come out again if I invited her and hse had free time.

Its like when I used to race my car alot, it was funny how ignorant people were. I used to have people tell me I am going to end up in jail when I told them I was going to the local sanctioned drag strip, that is a closed course under controlled conditions to go race other cars. Everything I did was perfectly legal, but people were so ignorant of it, they thought it was illegal.

It just fun and enjoying life.

I am just waiting for people to say when I go hiking in the woods with my family and nature that I am just a cruel human trying to destroy natural habitats and try and ban me from that.

mom and dad both taught us kids to shoot and firearm safety. they also taught us that the goverment is not there to be your friend. if they give you something, then they want something in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
I think it is a fallout of the violent movies, video games etc...pumped out by Hollywood.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The only logical reason why anyone would "love" a piece of metal that is designed to kill or maim is the sense of power and self esteem it gives the owner.

This discussion isn't about whether the 2nd amendment gives you the right to bear arms. It's about people who are passionate about their guns. Gun nuts.

It's one thing to own a gun, it's another to be in love with it.
I'll bet you are right. I just bought a handgun Tuesday and haven't fallen in love with it. yet. I wonder if I will.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Cars make you feel powerful?? Strange, never heard that before.
Say the word hemi to my son and you get his attention about power. He has loved that engine for years and he does love anything that will go down the road fast. He prefers those that he can take up to 160 to most others.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
The only logical reason why anyone would "love" a piece of metal that is designed to kill or maim is the sense of power and self esteem it gives the owner.

This discussion isn't about whether the 2nd amendment gives you the right to bear arms. It's about people who are passionate about their guns. Gun nuts.

It's an addiction, it truly is, like alcohol or drugs. That feeling of power is all some of these people have in their lives, and they cannot get enough of this false sense of security and power.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I don't love my gun. but my neighbor's neice loves the fact I have it.

She came home at 2 something in the morning, her aunt was at work, and their front door open. She came and got me, I went over, end result, we turned a burglar over to the police. Who KNOWS what would have happened had she gone in alone. but for the fact I was armed with a P345, it could have been a different outcome altogether. He was armed with a knife, not a good defense against a gun, he was hauled off to jail, I put my trigger lock back on, and placed the gun back in my safe.

Legally armed citizen 1, Armed Burglar 0
I goes that guy hadn't heard Obama talk about Republicans bringing knives to gun fights. Oh well, is he where he should be now?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
If one is very passionate about something, it's common to be labeled a nut. So society decides. If you are religious and passionate about healthy lifestyles, you are labeled a health nut.
If you are married and passionate about your wife or are a parent and passionate about you children I guess you're now a nut. Who knew?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:

I know that there are certain types of gun nuts who are terrified people, who live in constant fear.

They run these different scenarios in their minds about all the foul things that could happen to them or family and friends and for them it is a very, very, very likely event, so they plan and prepare.

Combine this with the reality that the type of people who are this fearful are also very black and white type of thinkers. So people who they perceive to be different from themselves they are very, very leery and often afraid.

They create these scenario's where the government is going to collaspe and stop funding the EBT food stamps, and they imagine dark hordes of inner city minorities coming for them.

They dream of the government becoming tyrannical and them being the only ones standing up for freedom.

This is not hyperbole. There is a subculture in America that believes this shyt is imminent.

They imagine themselves roaming the country shooting those dark hordes and any government agents who attempt to stop them.

They imagine dark hordes of minority youths raping their wives or killing them. These fears and threats are very, very real to these people.

Such fear and othering of Americans goes hand in hand with conservative political ideology as well, so people like this are almost always conservative or libertarian which is just the new way to say conservative.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I like old swords, beautiful women, and European bicycles. Some guys like guns, others antique cars. It's not about power. Men are visual and drawn to well made objects that have some utility.
Interesting taste. While guns have utility, it's the people who amass a small arsenal and become unhinged whenever someone mentions common sense legislation about controlling what kind of weapons are available to the general public that makes one transition from a healthy affection for something to an unhealthy obsession about something, in this case, firearms.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's an addiction, it truly is, like alcohol or drugs. That feeling of power is all some of these people have in their lives, and they cannot get enough of this false sense of security and power.
I will be 80 tomorrow and have never owned a gun till last Tuesday when I bought a handgun for my birthday. I didn't know it would give me a false sense of security and power, but if you say so it may make my advancing age a bit less sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies