Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"Hell no" = compromise. Get serious. For decades the NRA had the votes to create gridlock negating any meaningful reform. Now with this massacre, I have no doubt they don't. So quite frankly, the side w/o the votes should not be answering "Hell NO" to anything.

It will never be 12/13/2012 for the NRA and their mindset again.

What do you mean by "meaningful reform?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
An RPG is an order of magnitude more powerful than a .223 cartridge. There is no defensive use of an RPG, whereas a .223 is appropriate for sport shooting, hunting, as well as self defense, though some think it's not powerful enough for big game.

So, are you okay with .223 rifles? 7.62mm? .50 caliber?

If not, based upon what criteria?

BTW, since you obviously don't know enough about firearms to tell me why the AR-15 is more dangerous than the rifle in the picture I posted, I'll spill the beans. It's not. It fires the exact same round downrange at the exact same speed, and reloads in a functionally identical manner. It doesn't "look" as "scary", but it is functionally identical.
I already explained I don't care about having a meaningless debate about is this gun more powerful than this other gun.

I think once any person admits that certain weapons are too dangerous to allow then the question is only the terms of what that means.

Certain guns would fit the criteria of being so dangerous and destructive that they need to be banned.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You understand the irony in these statements one assumes...?
Irrelevant

Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Last night I bet I opened at least 30 of the hundred or so new threads discussing gun control on this board. Not in even one of these did I find a hint of meaningful conversation that displayed any reason or logic from the anti gun people. Instead they are inundated with sheer ignorance and blind stupidity with zero intellect and very little intelligence being displayed. Just a few examples of the ignorance, and I'm para-phrasing:

And the winner, by a landslide.....

How exactly do you expect to accomplish anything with this type of mentality? Do you not agree with president Obama that to create "meaningful action" we must "come together"? all this rhetoric is doing nothing but driving us further apart. Being the NRA member and avid believer in the second amendment that I am, I'm not a real big fan of any kind of new regulations on firearms, however, I DO believe there is a middle ground and room for compromise on both sides of the issue. Things like a national firearms registry, NICS check on all sales public and private, mental health status showing up on the NICS check, mandatory gun safes, regulating high capacity magazines, these are all areas that could be discussed and compromised on. It should also be noted that all of the above are considered "radical" ideas by my fellow pro gun posters on here. It should also be noted that I held these beliefs long before any of the recent mass shootings because unlike MANY of you, I am capable of keeping my emotions in check, and don't let the latest tragedy influence my political convictions.

One thing I am certain of though, is that with all the mud-slinging school yard bull**** being flung around between both sides, this "meaningful action and change" will never happen. One side starts it and the other side either clams up or throws it right back. So heres your chance, I've given you a baseline to start a real conversation, let's see if we can all be adults here and handle it.

P.S.
I would also like to point out that I have the capacity to realise that no matter how many laws or regulations that you pass, short of banning guns on a world wide level and rounding them all up and melting them down, you will never ever be able to completely prevent this type of thing from happening.

Which, feel free to entertain the notion of banning guns all you want, but with 300,000,000 privately owned guns in this country alone,good luck with that.
Psssst...the people offended by those types of posts will never come around to any kind of sensible compromise, anyway.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I already explained I don't care about having a meaningless debate about is this gun more powerful than this other gun.
And yet, your initial proposal was to ban guns that are "too powerful". But I don't know what that means, there is no standard definition of "too powerful" when it comes to firearms. Ergo, to know whether or not your proposal is reasonable, you must define what you mean.

"Too powerful", in and of itself, is a meaningless term.

Quote:
Certain guns would fit the criteria of being so dangerous and destructive that they need to be banned.
Yes. Now what is your criteria?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,186,121 times
This is like a Desert Eagle .50 AE or a .50 BMG.

It's a fun gun and neat to collect. You won't be confronting the burgler with it.

Should guys be able to buy one if they like?

HELL YES!

T-Rex Rifle cal. 577 - YouTube

I don't pick and choose as long as a law abiding person is the one that owns it.

I've ditched more than one "hunting" buddy because he couldn't understand why I needed an AR, AK etc... and carry a handgun with a CCW.

Sometimes the guys who pick and choose based upon what "they" like are the worst ones.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Well, opinions will vary.

Any attempt to engage me so far doesn't even address what was written. It is more projection and fantasy.

If I believed what gun nuts believe I wouldn't want to discuss those beliefs in public either.

They are crazy.
Nobody is trying to engage you.

It's called laughing. Out loud.

You're the one fanticizing there's a gun-toting racist on every street corner.

Which explains why so many black kids in Chicago got killed this year.

lol

Quote:

I think once any person admits that certain weapons are too dangerous to allow then the question is only the terms of what that means.

Then why do you keep posting?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
We should just make criminals illegal...

you can't have an honest discussion with these people...they have no clue what they're talking about...they just keep talking!

challenge: name ONE incident of a mass shooting in the US where a legally obtained "assault rifle" was used.

Heck, I'll even open that up to include an "assault rifle" stolen from the legal purchaser.

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 12-17-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Quote:
The problem is you can't have a serious discussion with the mentally insane. gun nuts are crazy. They have crazy views about the world. They live in a constant state of fear. They have these fantasies that they are going to fight the government, or fight marauding bands of urban criminals who are they are terrified will riot.

Many are conspiracy theorists, and racists who are ruled by fear.
You understand the irony in these statements one assumes...?

Quote:
Irrelevant
It's completely relevant. The fact you dismiss it so quickly is even more telling.

How can you have a meaningful discussion on gun control when you believe what you've stated (unless you don't believe it, in which case it's even more irrational), moreover you yourself have views that are completely irrational, which could be called by some "Crazy".

I'm probably what you consider a gun nut. I don't live in a state of constant fear, I don't have fantasies about fighting the government, I've fought for the government enough to know it wouldn't be pretty, I don't plan on fighting marauding bands of urban criminals, I live in a rural area (almost devoid of people) there are no urban criminals here to riot. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm a fan of Occams razor, and I'm certainly no racist.

So if it's irrelevant, exactly how is it irrelevant. If you sit down to discuss something with someone who is "crazy" (by your statements) are you going to seriously and honestly evaluate their statements and concerns over ideas you have? If not then what's the point of having a discussion at all?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
This is like a Desert Eagle .50 AE or a .50 BMG.
I shot a Desert Eagle one time. Some kids at the range had rented it and were goofing off and asked if I wanted to take a shot.

They had holes all over the target, but not even one in the color. So I took it, and BOOM, center of mass.

But it's heavy as hell and kicks like a moose, definitely not a practical self defense weapon. Only good for fun at the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies