Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sure the student who wrote the paper spent a lot of time on it, but the claims are factually false. Australia and in UK where guns were banned, saw a sharp decline in murder rates. I have provided the raw data on those countries on another thread. Murders are down 44% in Australia since the ban, and that is a significant reduction.

The study used Russia as an example of a country with strict gun laws, but high murder rates. The truth is that in Moscow alone, some 400,000 people legally keep 470,000 weapons. Also, Russia is plagued by corruption and lawlessness, so it makes no sense to compary the US to Russia in a matter like this.

People should not argue whether or not the ban would work on US, they should argue whether or not such bans are constitutional, and whether or not majority of citizens would support them.
That's really the size of it. The OP can't show real statistics, so he just asserts "gun control does not work."

A good read: The NRA’s war on gun science - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's really the size of it. The OP can't show real statistics, so he just asserts "gun control does not work."

Right MTA- (good you still have a job as an Obama operative)

Read the link. I find it funny that libs will not read the facts- they just ignore them. This evaluated several nations over several decades. I guess when you ignore the facts, you can say that they "are not real", just like a child pulling a blanket over his head when he is frightened.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

Further, in the US, gun ownership rates have been going up, while crime is going down. The highest crime rates in the US are in areas in which guns are "banned". How do you reconcile the fact that all the data points against your contention.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Read the link. I find it funny that libs will not read the facts- they just ignore them. This evaluated several nations over several decades. I guess when you ignore the facts, you can say that they "are not real", just like a child pulling a blanket over his head when he is frightened.

Further, in the US, gun ownership rates have been going up, while crime is going down. The highest crime rates in the US are in areas in which guns are "banned". How do you reconcile the fact that all the data points against your contention.

Got a better link?
Page Not Found

The data is overwhelming that reduced numbers of guns results in fewer violent crimes and shootings.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

It's telling when a school kid's homework is offered as "actual data".

Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Oh my goodness, do you realize how "mentally compromised" you sound? (I'm trying to be nice.)

One thing I am trying very hard to understand is why "gun people" are so obsessed with their guns. How much time do you spend with them? Seriously, does this take up most of your time? I can't grasp the attachment you have to them, nor can I understand your fear that you might be required to relinquish them. What do you think will happen if you don't have your guns?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is from the Australian government Australian Institute of Criminology - page not found

Accordign to their numbers homicide in Australia has declined about 44% since they changed the gun laws. Robberies are down from 16K to 14K. Homicides by firearm declines 59%. Mass killings are down to zero. Is it because of the ban, or because of coincidence? I don't know, but most people in Australis think so.

In UK, gun crime has declined from 24 000 in 2003 to 3 100 in 2011. Coincidence? Hey, if you say so, but it is what it is. They banned guns in 1998, and initially crime went up, and then it started to decrease and kept decreasing every year. Same happened in Australia, first increase, and then a steady decrease.

PS. I am not pro-ban, and I stick to what I said earlier about what the discussion should be and what it should not be.

Link isn't working.

Was it declining before the ban? There are many reasons why crime may increase of decrease.

Correlation != Causation.

Past that, without even being able to look at the study, not much can be said.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Oh my goodness, do you realize how "mentally compromised" you sound? (I'm trying to be nice.)

One thing I am trying very hard to understand is why "gun people" are so obsessed with their guns. How much time do you spend with them? Seriously, does this take up most of your time? I can't grasp the attachment you have to them, nor can I understand your fear that you might be required to relinquish them. What do you think will happen if you don't have your guns?
Seems like they're trying to compensate for something.

As for the rampage killers, Gail Collins said:
Quote:
These guys, as we keep hearing, are generally loners, and I’m not sure all of them would have been capable of acquiring a gun from the black market.

Last edited by MTAtech; 12-19-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post

Mentally compromised? I love it. I can guarantee you that I have more education and a higher IQ than you- that is why I am not a liberal.

When an analysis of data shows that-

An intervention does not produce the intened results

- a sane and rational person would seek another solution. However, liberals, despite the clear facts that there is no correlation between crime rates and gun control, still seek this as a solution.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound by embracing a solution which has clearly been shown to fail? I guess I understand why you voted for Obama.

If I did not have my guns, I would not-

be able to target shoot on the weekend
be able to hunt hogs in Texas
be able to hunt coyotes on my property
have fun shooting off a bunch of rounds at telemite for fun
be able to walk around my land (mountain lions)

Gee- if I was no longer occupied with harmless fun, I might turn to criminal activity for entertainment!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM

MTA-

you are the king of presenting truncated, altered, and selective data to "prove" your point- you are a good liberal.

When the real, unaltered facts are presented, it tells a different story. Nice try.

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The real cause for decline of crime in 1990 was the initiation of abortion twenty years before. Crime had already started declining prior to any weapons bans.

Gee! Looky there! The crime and murder rate DECLINED after Clinton's ban on assault weapons was rescinded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies