Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 11:27 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times

Advertisements

[quote=ovcatto;27486136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I suppose we'll spend the rest of the day arguing over who is notable and who ain't.

Perhaps instead of worrying about kids, perhaps you should think about going to school and relearning how to read? (I even highlighted the relevant quote)
Wayne LaPierre, CEO of the nation's largest gun rights lobbying organization, said the NRA would push Congress to put a police officer in every school and would coordinate a national effort to put former military and police offers in schools as volunteer guards.
NRA: Public wants armed guards in every school - Yahoo! News
LaPierre also said he asked Congress for money to put a police officer in every school. He said the NRA would coordinate a national effort to put former military and police officers in schools as volunteer guards.
Read more: LaPierre says armed school officers are only quick way to make schools safe | Fox News

So you lose your challenge and attempt to move the goal post. How typical.

Yeah, I am for PAYING people who are being asked to put their lives on the line and I hasten to add that when you pay people they can be held accountable for showing up, taking the necessary training, and for their actions. And I damn sure want a method to hold folks walking around a kids school to be held accountable.
You originally wrote "teachers" (which I highlighted). Now you've changed your original point to "former military and police officers".

You can't move the goal posts and then claim that I have poor reading comprehension. You're original post is there for all to see. You wrote "teachers" and "for free".

Nice try though.

Please learn to debate properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
heck no!!!!! Let their parents pay out of their OWN pocket. I'm tired of paying for these little varmints.
I don't object to your logic. The special taxes used for protection in public schools could be charged specifically to people who have kids in public schools.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who is forcing you?

You are pushing for massive government intervention on tax payer dime, and I don't want to pay for it. If I was as paranoic and scared as you, I would indeed put my kids in private school or teach them at home, but I am not as afraid as you.

Your kids are far more likely to die at home than at school.
Post the quote from me where I called for "massive government intervention on [the] tax payer['s] dime".

Go ahead...I'll wait.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Unless I was previously involved in a discussion concerning a school shooting of a similar nature, there would be no reason for me to have such a post like you are stating.

Which makes your logic complete nonsense!
I am being completely logical because you are pretending to be one who called for increased taxes to support increased school security BEFORE the shooting.

If not, then what leg do you have to stand on when you deride conservatives for not being for increased taxes to pay for increased security?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
The vast majority of U.S. citizens are completely unknown to the rest of the world, and are not likely to be specifically targeted in some criminal act.
David Gregory's kids probably fit that description, yet he still seeks out armed guards for his.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Post the quote from me where I called for "massive government intervention on [the] tax payer['s] dime". go ahead...I'll wait.
Placing even a few cops in every school is a massive government intervention. We are talking about an army of at least 1 million cops, and who else would pay for it if not the tax-payer? Larger schools with thousands of kids would obviously require a dozen or so cops, while smaller ones would be OK with one or two. Earlier you even said every kid shold have the same protection as the president's kids, which is 11 cops per two kids, but I assume that was just jealousy speaking, otherwise we're talking about an army of over 50 million cops.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:37 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who is forcing you?

You are pushing for massive government intervention on tax payer dime, and I don't want to pay for it. If I was as paranoic and scared as you, I would indeed put my kids in private school or teach them at home, but I am not as afraid as you.

Your kids are far more likely to die at home than at school.
Correct ----an average of 5 children a day die from child abuse and neglect in the U.S. We'd save far more children if we concentrated on helping prevent child abuse than we will with armed guards in schools.

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp

From motor vehicle accidents 1,300 children under age 14 die every year. And guess what, 2/3 of these fatalities occurred with a drinking driver --- most likely the child's parent.

CDC - Child Passenger Safety Fact Sheet - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center

While we're all analyzing child safety, there are issues that are far more pressing than random mass murders that have the statistical probability of getting struck my lightening.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:38 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I am being completely logical because you are pretending to be one who called for increased taxes to support increased school security BEFORE the shooting.

If not, then what leg do you have to stand on when you deride conservatives for not being for increased taxes to pay for increased security?
I didn't specifically say I called for increased taxes for school security before the shooting.

I am saying that I believe in raising taxes to pay for WHATEVER our country requires.

It's you conservatives who are always wanting to cut taxes ... which leaves our country unable to pay for it's own needs, and leaves it with trillions in National Debt.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
[quote=clb10;27486179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

You originally wrote "teachers" (which I highlighted). Now you've changed your original point to "former military and police officers".

You can't move the goal posts and then claim that I have poor reading comprehension. You're original post is there for all to see. You wrote "teachers" and "for free".

Nice try though.

Please learn to debate properly.

In the last few days, several other prominent voices, including former U.S. Secretary of Education William J. Bennett and Representative Louis Gohmert, R-Texas, have argued that such incidents could be prevented if teachers and principals carried weapons. Texas Governor Rick Perry and Virginia Governor Robert McDonnell agree, while legislators in Oklahoma are planning to introduce a law that would let school staff members arm themselves.

INDIANAPOLIS -
There are increasing calls across the country and here in Indiana to give local schools to allow teachers to carry guns.

The bill, which Villalba is calling the Protection of Texas Children Act, would permit Texas schools to appoint a member of their faculty as a “school marshal.” The marshal, with training and certification, would be able to “use lethal force upon the occurrence of an attack in the classroom or elsewhere on campus,” according to a press release from Villalba, a newly elected state representative.

On Monday, December 17, Pearson urged Illinois lawmakers to pass legislation that would allow school districts the authority to arm principals, teachers, and custodians with concealed weapons. He wants them to pass a school-safety bill next spring that would include the conceal carry for teachers.

You see pay in any of these proposals?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Correct ----an average of 5 children a day die from child abuse and neglect in the U.S. We'd save far more children if we concentrated on helping prevent child abuse than we will with armed guards in schools.

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp

From motor vehicle accidents 1,300 children under age 14 die every year. And guess what, 2/3 of these fatalities occurred with a drinking driver --- most likely the child's parent.

CDC - Child Passenger Safety Fact Sheet - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center

While we're all analyzing child safety, there are issues that are far more pressing than random mass murders that have the statistical probability of getting struck my lightening.
What's next, a cop in every home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies