Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Everyone has the option to send their kids to a guarded school. Big deal.
Glad you make enough money to send yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What's next, a cop in every home?
Parent education. Prevention, not policing. Not every problem needs to be solved within the judicial system. Improved child welfare services. All this hoopla about school shootings, while a valid response, ignores the fact that children are at higher risk of dying from car accidents, or child abuse and neglect then they will ever be from a random shooter.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

If a parent wants better protection for their children, then they should pay for it, and send them to private schools, just like Obama is doing now.

Protection costs money.
I used to say similar things about health care and health insurance. I frequently heard But not everyone can afford it, so nwe must provide it.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
But the children of Newtown, CT don't need this level of protection?

hmmm....
Newtown, is to middle class to upscale area. If the parents REALLY thought their kids needed that level of protection you'd think they would be willing to fork over their tax dollars to have trained law enforcement officers at their schools.

But the reality is that many of the people in Newtown and around the country thought their income and relative lack of diversity "protected" their children from this type of violence. Hence the comments "Things like that don't happen around here". Well if these people think that things like that "Don't happen here" where do they think they happen?

Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As a general response to all those who are defending the fact that the elites are not subject to the same rules the rest of us are, I'll say this:

In my mind, President Obama's children and the children of any other of the elite crowd are not more important than mine are. In fact, nobody's children are more important to me, or deserve any more protection, than mine. The fact that it's okay for his children and the rest of the elites' children to have armed guards at their schools while mine are subject to laws that turn their school into a hunting preserve for any nutjob that comes along is offensive and hypocritical.
Then you need to either pay more to hire armed guards for your children's school like the elite does, or you need to work to get guns off the streets altogether.

Your choice, and that of others, when you decide to quit whining about the government not giving you something and take action.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Glad you make enough money to send yours.
I don't make enought money to do a lot of things but I don't complain about it too much. I just live a different life, one I think is better because it doesn't require armed guards thank goodness.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Then you need to either pay more to hire armed guards for your children's school like the elite does, or you need to work to get guns off the streets altogether.

Your choice, and that of others, when you decide to quit whining about the government not giving you something and take action.
How does getting guns off the "street" solve situations like the one in Newtown where all the guns were legally obtained, yet taken by the assailant?

I'm not saying that illegally possessed guns shouldn't be taken off the streets. But if you don't address the underlying social issues that cause gun violence you really aren't going to solve the problem. That includes dealing with social issues and mental health issues that make people commit violent acts.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Guess again .... liberals are the ones who believe in raising taxes to meet our needs for whatever our nation requires.

It's you conservatives that don't want to raise taxes ever!

You conservatives are always fighting against tax increases, which is why our nation is severely in debt, and can't afford better protection in public schools.

You conservatives can blame YOURSELVES for what happened in Newtown!!!
Here's a thought: Maybe instead of pissing half a billion tax dollars down the hole rewarding campaign contributors (see Solyndra) we spend the money on more straightforward government obligations like public safety?

Last edited by Cavaturaccioli; 12-25-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sorry, wrong again. I've always been happy about my tax dollars going to all aspect of public education. On the rare occasion that I play the Lottery I always joke that I just paying a few dollars of extra school tax.
Look, I firmly beleve that liberals and conservatives basically want the same things. There's no monopoly on love of children. I'm just venting a little frustration, that's all.

Peace and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Guns for them- none for us.

Liberals, by their nature, are always hypocritical.

Libs are-

for the homeless, but never take them into their home

for minorities, but never live in a minority neighborhood

for affirmative action, but would be angry if passed over for a promotion by a less qualified minority

for affirmative action, but would be angry if thier child was denied a college spot taken by a less qualified minority

for higher taxes, as long as someone else pays them

for "green energy", but complain about high energy prices

for redistribution of wealth, but would never offer to give half their income to someone else

for legalization of drugs, but would be upset if their child became a drug addict

against guns, unless they are used to protect them

for redistribution, but would not allow their child to average his "A" with an "F" student so both could get "C"s in school. It would be out of "fairness".

Liberalism is exposed as insanity when practiced on a personal, micro level. The ridiculous nature of its principles become blatantly obvious and seem absurd at a personal level, yet are embraced on a macro level.
Liberals think Left, speak Left, but live Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies