Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:29 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times

Advertisements

On holidays such as this it is common for friends to invite co-workers or other acquaintances to dinner if they are far away from their own families (or don't have family).

Do you have a racist family member who would be offended to sit at the Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner table with an outsider from another race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Yes, I have an uncle who HATES white people. Hates them to a level that adversely effects his own life. He has a grandson he barely speaks to because he married a white girl. I feel bad for her and wonder what will happen when they have kids.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-25-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: It's a grandson, not son

Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,771 times
We all do. And someone who's gay. And one who drinks too much. And one who's too loud.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
I have a couple of racist family members, actually, my father and a brother. Not really surprising, considering that they grew up in an environment that fostered the attitude. My grandfather, quite frankly, was one of the most racist people I ever met.

Luckily, my father is/was wise enough to let his children make their own decisions when it came to prejudices, and most of us are fairly unbiased in our outlook. His attitudes have changed over time, as well, although he still has a strong racist streak at his core. My brother, on the other hand, is fairly set in his racism. It's an ongoing argument that we pull out whenever we're around each other for an extended length of time.

All that being said, their racism doesn't really affect me in any noticeable way. If we're having a gathering that involves people of different ethnic backgrounds, I simply let those 2 know that if they're going to attend they have to behave themselves or they'll be leaving early. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't, but when they do they keep their mouths shut and socialize.

I also have a step-sister who is a lesbian, 2 nephews that are mixed, a niece that is bisexual, a brother that is gay, etc. Just the typical American family.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 AM

54 posts, read 87,980 times
Yes, there are some conservatives in my family. It saddens me to hear them talk negatively about people other than white.
Especially when it's about our US president.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM

18,395 posts, read 19,027,378 times
no I don't have any racists in my family. we had one relative who died when he started to sprout his racist views my husband told him we don't talk like that in this house. He would of been asked to leave if he continued. no one I know would let that kind of crap go and be silent.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I have a couple of racist family members, actually, my father and a brother. Not really surprising, considering that they grew up in an environment that fostered the attitude. My grandfather, quite frankly, was one of the most racist people I ever met.

Luckily, my father is/was wise enough to let his children make their own decisions when it came to prejudices, and most of us are fairly unbiased in our outlook. His attitudes have changed over time, as well, although he still has a strong racist streak at his core. My brother, on the other hand, is fairly set in his racism. It's an ongoing argument that we pull out whenever we're around each other for an extended length of time.

All that being said, their racism doesn't really affect me in any noticeable way. If we're having a gathering that involves people of different ethnic backgrounds, I simply let those 2 know that if they're going to attend they have to behave themselves or they'll be leaving early. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't, but when they do they keep their mouths shut and socialize.

I also have a step-sister who is a lesbian, 2 nephews that are mixed, a niece that is bisexual, a brother that is gay, etc. Just the typical American family.
I wonder if you went to their house would you consider it your social responsibility to keep your mouth shut about your views on racial equality.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsavior View Post
Yes, there are some conservatives in my family. It saddens me to hear them talk negatively about people other than white.
Especially when it's about our US president.
You just couldn't resist the opportunity to make a dig at the other side of the aisle, could you? I actually find this a bit humorous, since the father of my mixed nephews is a hardcore conservative, yet married a woman who is not white. What will trip your trigger even more is the fact that she's not at home barefoot and pregnant, but is a very successful attorney and actually makes slightly more money than he does at the present time. But, I guess you'll find a way to say that they're the exception to the rule rather than the norm, even though the vast majority of conservatives that I know are less racist than the liberals in my crowd.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I wonder if you went to their house would you consider it your social responsibility to keep your mouth shut about your views on racial equality.
The situation has never come up where the question needed to be answered, though I see where you're coming from. However, I go by the maxim "your house, your rules". If they were doing something at their house that offended me, I'd leave, and that includes racist tirades. So far, the only time the subject has come up is during conversations about politics, which are pretty much controversial in my family to begin with.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Yup, they are cousins who I have nothing to do with, I'm mixed race American Indian, my dad never set foot in their house as far as I know. They were never invited to any events, I haven't seen them in decades and have no desire to.

I also have LDS family members, gay, lesbian, mexicans, apache, you name it we've got 'em and other than the one racist branch on my mother's side we all get along.

What's really funny is from doing geneaology on my family I've found NDN's in the woodpile on their side to, they'd croke if they knew...snort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies