Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Walter Cronkite and I are actually in agreement so when you make fun of me....
Wow. I'm making fun of you? I don't do "making fun". Sorry. Not in something as serious as Newtown. No. I'm challenging you to educate yourself. As I would challenge every single person who thinks there's a media conspiracy going on following the tragedy of 20 little kids being shot to bits at Sandy Hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
No one wants to see photos of corpses or "every square inch of the crime scene". People do want to know the truth about what they have been told and so far, the truth is impossible to decipher since there have been so many different versions told and some of those versions contradict other versions. Not all of those contradictory stories are first reports either and the media obviously did lie about some things such as claiming that the aerial footage of a different schools' drill was actually footage of police storming Sandy Hook. That is concerning.

And if our constitutional rights are being chipped away as a result of this tragedy then we do have a right to know what really happened. If we have to wait for the final report for answers then the government should also wait for the final report before making any final decisions on gun control.
What exactly would you like to see, and would you believe anything published anyway? I'm sorry to break this to you, but no one is trying to take your guns away from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Just give up trying to talk sense into these zombies. They really do think that the media and the government are completely honest agencies and would NEVER, EVER lie to us. It's useless when these sheep are stuck inside their own grey matter. Critical thinking people absolutely know that we weren't told the real story here. Why wasn't the CCTV footage released showing Lanza standing at the door with an AR? Why didn't they let the media photograph the shell casings in the hallway? Why was the hallway supposedly littered with .223 casings when reports said almost ALL of the shooting happened in 2 or 3 class rooms? I know why and you know why. It DID NOT happen the way they are telling us. Lanza did NOT show up at the door with an AR and shoot the window out. He was buzzed in concealing 2 pistols. That is the only way he would have been able to "surprise" anyone.
Exhibit A.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. I'm making fun of you? No. I'm challenging you to educate yourself.
By calling me a "conspiracy groupie" you're challenging me to educate myself? What do you think about Walter Cronkite's comments? Was he just another "conspiracy groupie", worrying needlessly about the media's role in democracy?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What exactly would you like to see, and would you believe anything published anyway? I'm sorry to break this to you, but no one is trying to take your guns away from you.

Exhibit A.
You can save your eye rolling. I'm not worried about anyone taking "my guns" away from me since I don't own any guns. I do however happen to agree with the right to bear arms and I happen to respect constitutional rights in general. I don't know which story to believe out of everything that has been published because the information that has been published has been contradictory. That is the problem.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
You can save your eye rolling. I'm not worried about anyone taking "my guns" away from me since I don't own any guns. I do however happen to agree with the right to bear arms and I happen to respect constitutional rights in general. I don't know which story to believe out of everything that has been published because the information that has been published has been contradictory. That is the problem.
Constitutional rights are not threatened. There have always been gun regulations, and there always should be.

There is so much contradictory information because there are a multitude of nuts writing all these conspiracy theories.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
you're challenging me to educate myself?
Yes, I am.

With the amount of time you've spent on these threads you could make a SERIOUS dent in learning how the media works in this country. If you think you are learning about it by reading posts from anonymous people on the internet, or Googling "Walter Cronkite", you are very, very wrong. Go for it. Take some journalism courses. Education kills ignorance. Warning: It also kills conspiracy theories.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Constitutional rights are not threatened. There have always been gun regulations, and there always should be.

There is so much contradictory information because there are a multitude of nuts writing all these conspiracy theories.
Sorry but I disagree about there being no threat to our constitutional rights.

If you read nothing but the mainstream news about this shooting, you will see one contradiction after another. The contradictions themselves were created by the mainstream media, not by conspiracy theorists.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, I am.

With the amount of time you've spent on these threads you could make a SERIOUS dent in learning how the media works in this country. If you think you are learning about it by reading posts from anonymous people on the internet, or Googling "Walter Cronkite", you are very, very wrong. Go for it. Take some journalism courses. Education kills ignorance. Warning: It also kills conspiracy theories.
I challenge you to educate yourself on how the media operates today. If you think that the media operates in the same fashion today as it did in Walter Cronkite's day, you are sadly mistaken. In 1983, just two years after Walter Cronkite retired, the media was owned and controlled by more then 50 corporations. Today, the media is owned and controlled by just 6. Just sit and think for a minute about what that means. 6 multi-billion dollar corporations each with their own corporate interests and profits to look out for control the vast majority of what we, as Americans, hear, see and read. Just think about it.

BTW, I have taken multiple classes on journalism and mass communications. I'm not sure why you would assume that my education comes solely from google searches or from reading random people's posts on the internet. Is that how you educate yourself because you spend just as much time on CD as I do? Are you really inferring all of that based on me posting a link to a class at a University about how the media has changed since the days of Walter Cronkite and a link to some of his thoughts and concerns regarding modern day media and democracy? Instead of addressing his comments and concerns that I happen to share with him, you tell me to educate myself?

I'm also sorry that you feel the need to lump all conspiracies into a neat little box and then dismiss them as a whole. Please do educate yourself on history because there have been conspiracies or "false flags" carried out in the past. They are a very effective means of manipulating perception and influencing policy. Since history has a tendency to repeat itself, I don't agree with you that it's outlandish to question things when the things being said are contradictory and don't add up.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM

One more thing, DewDropInn. Can you not see the irony of your statement that "education kills ignorance and conspiracy theories" when the whole reason why this thread exists is because a college professor with a PHD who teaches in the department of communications and multimedia studies, believes that there is some kind of cover-up or hoax surrounding the Sandy Hook shooting?

School of Communication & Multimedia Studies

Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
I challenge you to educate yourself on how the media operates today. If you think that the media operates in the same fashion today as it did in Walter Cronkite's day, you are sadly mistaken. In 1983, just two years after Walter Cronkite retired, the media was owned and controlled by more then 50 corporations. Today, the media is owned and controlled by just 6. Just sit and think for a minute about what that means. 6 multi-billion dollar corporations each with their own corporate interests and profits to look out for control the vast majority of what we, as Americans, hear, see and read. Just think about it.

BTW, I have taken multiple classes on journalism and mass communications. I'm not sure why you would assume that my education comes solely from google searches or from reading random people's posts on the internet. Is that how you educate yourself because you spend just as much time on CD as I do? Are you really inferring all of that based on me posting a link to a class at a University about how the media has changed since the days of Walter Cronkite and a link to some of his thoughts and concerns regarding modern day media and democracy? Instead of addressing his comments and concerns that I happen to share with him, you tell me to educate myself?

I'm also sorry that you feel the need to lump all conspiracies into a neat little box and then dismiss them as a whole. Please do educate yourself on history because there have been conspiracies or "false flags" carried out in the past. They are a very effective means of manipulating perception and influencing policy. Since history has a tendency to repeat itself, I don't agree with you that it's outlandish to question things when the things being said are contradictory and don't add up.

Exactly, the news is now controlled by a handful of corporations. I had to explain to someone who was elderly the other day the use of "green screens". They get it now, I explained the news reporter is in a studio but pretending to be at another location.

Doesn't matter whether it is Fox or CNN.

Well what else are they lying about of covering up?

This was very apparent with Sandy Hook when you have people pretending to be standing outside in CT in Dec with heavy coats and scarves yet you don't see anyone's breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies