Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,566,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Once again, stay on topic. If we can't, the thread will be closed.

Sounds about as "on topic" as it can be, IMHO....people trying to explain, or to speculate, why we may be reluctant to pursue racial variations in intelligence...and the many negative consequences this may have...and the very questionable basis of such a study. How, exactly, are we approaching the point that we're going to be "shut down?"---Please explain..

Old 10-20-2007, 02:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,134,199 times
Several of the posts are verging on sounding quite racist to my ears. Do I take it you are reading this differently? Not about intelligence but about where to send your kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sounds about as "on topic" as it can be, IMHO....people trying to explain, or to speculate, why we may be reluctant to pursue racial variations in intelligence...and the many negative consequences this may have...and the very questionable basis of such a study. How, exactly, are we approaching the point that we're going to be "shut down?"---Please explain..

Old 10-20-2007, 02:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,623,623 times
Quote:
Several of the posts are verging on sounding quite racist to my ears. Do I take it you are reading this differently? Not about intelligence but about where to send your kids!
Please define what you mean by "racist"?

I truly do understand what you are saying, however, and will try and respect the rules.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,566,840 times
Quote:
I agree--but you must admit that this whole topic is the very essence of what motivates racism---it's nearly part-and-parcel. If racists are allowed their "rants",(within the bounds of civility), and others were then allowed to offer their REBUTTALS, (within these same bounds) it seems to me we might bring this whole subject "out into the light of day".
Admittedly, it's an extremely "touchy" issue, and you might be within your rights not to allow its discussion at all. But if you DO, then certainly the racists are going to show up in droves--along with others. Do we then hear them out, or shut them up?
Thanks for your post....

Old 10-20-2007, 02:21 PM

Please don't be coy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Please define what you mean by "racist"?

Old 10-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I agree--but you must admit that this whole topic is the very essence of what motivates racism---it's nearly part-and-parcel. If racists are allowed their "rants",(within the bounds of civility), and others were then allowed to offer their REBUTTALS, (within these same bounds) it seems to me we might bring this whole subject "out into the light of day".
Admittedly, it's an extremely "touchy" issue, and you might be within your rights not to allow its discussion at all. But if you DO, then certainly the racists are going to show up in droves--along with others. Do we then hear them out, or shut them up?
Thanks for your post....
But again, define "racism"? It is hard for anyone to defend against such a label/charge if they are not sure exactly what the heck it means!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Please don't be coy.
What is "coy" about asking the nature and definition of the charges presented? Even in a courtroom they do that!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 PM

You make an excellent point. Let's see where it goes, but I am not at all comfortable with the tone of some of the posts (not finger pointing, but commenting).

If it does remain civil, but also touchy, nothing wrong with it.

One more try, but I'll make the final call, and not feel a modicum of guilt or chagrin at closing the thread.

Quote:
Thanks for your post....

Old 10-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Agreed for sure. That is, keeping everything civil and courteous on a very volatile topic.

But I really do think -- and I am NOT being facitious, coy, sarcastic, or anything else -- that the term "racist" or "racism" has to be defined before it is tossed out. This is a very serious charge to make, and a very serious label to apply. So, all I ask is, that one should define what is meant, first.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Racism (Dictionary online):

–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies