Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
That sounds more like NRA culture. Or perhaps a description of "words gunlover has tattooed on his back"

Rock flag and Eagle!
...How? because basic civil rights are not restricted based on what city and state you live in?

What is wrong with the a "NRA Culture" what about diversity? or tolerance?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Wait, I thought it was about owning a gun and complaining about taxes. You guys should really come up with a consensus here.
It about being free to do what you want with your body, time, money, and property,

we dont need a consensus for individual happiness and its pursuit.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Ok, I think I got it. American culture is about white people (but not like,skin color white, cause we're not racists or anything) owning guns and eating hot dogs. We must preserve this precious heritage at all costs.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Ok, I think I got it. American culture is about white people (but not like,skin color white, cause we're not racists or anything) owning guns and eating hot dogs. We must preserve this precious heritage at all costs.
so every culture, people, nation, and heritage has the right to exist, just not ours?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
...How? because basic civil rights are not restricted based on what city and state you live in?

What is wrong with the a "NRA Culture" what about diversity? or tolerance?
The difference is that the rest of us are able to have political and social views without feeling threatened by those of others.

You can not pretend that your own personal values reflect those of every other American. Here watch me:

America is about liberty and pizza with extra sauce. Americans love freedom and Radiohead, but not their more recent albums, cause really. There is nothing more American than watching Mad Men while drinking california merlot.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
so every culture, people, nation, and heritage has the right to exist, just not ours?
No one is taking away your personal heritage or right to exist. What are you actually afraid of?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Towns and Cities being FOUNDED by the Spanish is not "influence"?
Two of the Three oldest cities in AMERICA were founded by the Spanish (#1: St. Augustine, Fl, #3: Santa Fe NM). The Spanish setttled from Florida through Texas, Arizona, California and Oregon and many of the towns and cities in that region EXIST because of the Spanish. If the EXISTANCE of a place isn't proof of INFLUENCE then NOTHING is.

Aside from the physical existance of places founded by the Spanish - including some of the greatest cities in the country, the Spanish had a pretty substantial impact on the English Language, with many many English words having their origin in Spanish. Words like tobacco, tomato, tuna, tornado, vigilante, vertigo, silo, shack, savanna, ranch, potato, patio, oregano, mustang, mosquito, key, hurricane, jade, guerrilla, daiquiri, crusade, crimson, coyote, cigar, cigarette, cargo, canoe, cafeteria, bronco, barbeque, banana, etc, etc, etc - are ALL (along with many, many others) of Spanish origin.

If the presence of Spanish words in the English language isn't influence then you have a pretty limited defintion of "influence".

Ken

Youre right, my definition of influence is MORE than place names. New York was once New Amsterdam, no?

Also, lots of states and cities are named after Indians for example, many of whom were gone or dwindling before the cities were even founded, and for which Indian culture has little to do with the development of those states and towns.

Finally, did I say there was NO Spanish influence? No. I believe I actually explicitly acknowledged Spanish influence. Hell, my last name is Portuguese/Spanish, so it's not like I'm being ethnocentric here.

Just don't over-state that influence based on place names and Catholic missions that nobody bothered to Anglicize or properly colonize to the point that they could maintain control. The population of "Alta California" for example was 85000 (and that's including the large numbers of "Americans" who intermarried with the Californios) across a huge territory when it went from "Spanish" (Mexican) to "United States."

In terms of "place names," I have already shown that naming a place because some guy on a horse walks around and says, "I claim everything from here until the ocean in the name of the Spanish King" is not INFLUENCE upon which to assert some cosmic right of return.

Besides, what Spanish influence in Utah besides some place names on a map? Any influence is most likely contemporary, not a relic of the great Spanish history of colonization.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:26 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Wait, I thought it was about owning a gun and complaining about taxes. You guys should really come up with a consensus here.
I mentioned my own description of American culture. Owning a gun is our 2nd Amendment right. Don't we all complain about taxes? Consensus? WTH does that mean?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
No one is taking away your personal heritage or right to exist. What are you actually afraid of?
Yes, illegal immigration is doing that and too much legal immigration that isn't diversified. It isn't personal it is our American culture collectively.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I mentioned my own description of American culture. Owning a gun is our 2nd Amendment right. Don't we all complain about taxes? Consensus? WTH does that mean?
A lack of consensus implies you have no clue what you're actually protecting. Perhaps some vague 1960s era homelife combined with Republican Party ideals. Thats fine, but again, you're only speaking for yourselves and not all of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies