Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Most cake toppers are purchased separately from the cake. Plus the little people on top of the cake is so 1980s, who does that anymore?
I was only giving an obvious example. Geeze.....

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Of course he has the right to his views.

What he doesn't have is the right to discriminate against people based on religion or sexual orientation.
Well, corporations certainly don't have the right to discriminate!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Sigh: This used to be a free country. You were free to hold religious beliefs, even if others disagreed. If you ran a business, you could choose to serve certain customers or not. I guess they want to take away all our rights, and just enslave us.
Like blacks?

How about, say, someone in a wheelchair?

Or maybe people with red hair......just because you don't like people with red hair?

Where do you draw the line?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This. ^^

Since I get my news out of Portland, this is kind of a local story for me, although I live probably 120 miles or so from that cake shop.

That said, I think the guy is a smug, self-righteous bigot and that what he is doing, by refusing service to a same sex couple, is the same as refusing service to someone based on the color of their skin or what church they attend.

Would it be ok for him to refuse to bake a stupid cake because the couple was interracial?

If I found out that a business local to me did that, I would sure as hell make sure they never got another dime from me.
Then why not just let the "free market" of socially conscious people drive him out of business rather than take civil action ?

If the people of Oregon are really that fair minded this guy will be out of business within 6 months.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
People can always go some where else to have their cake made .
Business should have a right to serve whom they wish, if the law favors one over another they are in breach of the division of church and state.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Amazing all these posters who do not support state laws, I thought that's what y'all supported? "The Oregon Equality Act of 2007" is a state law.
Only when it's a law they agree with.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Like blacks?

Or maybe people with red hair......just because you don't like people with red hair?

How did Kosher butchers and restaurants exist for so long and not get sued by Christians for discrimination ?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Yes, I did have to bring it up. WE have freedom of and from religion in this country. Using ones religion to deny service to anyone is wrong and is forcing ones beliefs on others, religion is used to pass laws that affect others who do not believe in it. He can become a private baker that does not deal with the public, but if he deals with the public and brings up his religion to deny them service, then he is discriminating based on his religion.
I'll tell you what. When a same-sex couple denied service wins a disrimination lawsuit based on the business denyiing the couple's freedom of religion, I'll take your argument seriously. How come these couples denied cakes, a wedding party, trolley rides, Never file complaints based on religious discrimination ? Answer to my rhetorical question --- Because it's not religious discrimination.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
People being enslaved, not being able to vote, marginalized and having significantly fewer rights than everyone else for so many years of our country's history is the reason we have these laws.

Enslave us? Please. Your use of this word in this context is an insult.
I found it to be a rather odd choice of a word, too.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Like blacks?

How about Veterans?

Suppose the baker was strongly against war, and two war veterans came in and wanted a wedding cake.

I wonder what would happen if he refused to serve them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies