Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas van Rijn View Post
Someone doesn't understand Amendment I all right, and that's you.

Amendment I prohibits government suppression of speech. It does not govern private suggestions of when/how to speak.

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled misunderstanding of the Bill of Rights.
I would feel sorry for your ability to understand things but it would be wasted feeling. I was answering a poster who said for southerners to stop commenting on subjects like this one. Nope, I wasn't the one telling anyone what he could or couldn't say, but I did have to question what he had said.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM

174 posts, read 154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would feel sorry for your ability to understand things but it would be wasted feeling. I was answering a poster who said for southerners to stop commenting on subjects like this one. Nope, I wasn't the one telling anyone what he could or couldn't say, but I did have to question what he had said.
The irony!

I never said you told anyone what to say.

What I said (I suggest reading slowly, or maybe asking someone to explain it to you -- anyone with at least a fifth-grade education should suffice) was that Amendment I has no bearing on whether non-government actors tell you to stop saying things. People are free to tell you that. Your delusion that Amendment I prohibits people from essentially telling you to shut up is pitiable. But very predictable.

Frankly, you don't seem to be able to understand much of anything. But I've done my charity work for the day, so you're on your own after this one. Good luck finding the aforementioned fifth-grader!

Last edited by Nicholas van Rijn; 02-06-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,100 times
I think that the big turning point for marriage equality in the US came with the 2012 elections, and 3 states voted for marriage equality. The chest-pounding on the right was that SSM had never passed a popular vote. Well, now it has. 3 of them, in fact. DOMA will fall this year - that's pretty much a give-in. The US will have nation-wide SSM by the end of 2014, and maybe sooner. By 2017 everybody will have forgotten the issue altogether.

Were I the GOP, I would be pushing for SSM. They really have no idea how many votes they could steal from the Dems in the LBQT community, and how that may just help to tip elections in their favor. It also helps their image with younger voters who see the GOP as the party of old religious white people.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM

174 posts, read 154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I think that the big turning point for marriage equality in the US came with the 2012 elections, and 3 states voted for marriage equality. The chest-pounding on the right was that SSM had never passed a popular vote. Well, now it has. 3 of them, in fact. DOMA will fall this year - that's pretty much a give-in. The US will have nation-wide SSM by the end of 2014, and maybe sooner. By 2017 everybody will have forgotten the issue altogether.

Were I the GOP, I would be pushing for SSM. They really have no idea how many votes they could steal from the Dems in the LBQT community, and how that may just help to tip elections in their favor. It also helps their image with younger voters who see the GOP as the party of old religious white people.
I highly doubt the Supreme Court will use the Prop 8 case (Perry v. Hollingsworth, to be heard in March with a decision by July) to strike down all laws prohibiting same-sex marriage. And at any rate, there are no other cases far enough along in the judicial pipeline to bring another case before the high court by 2014. And without a USSC mandate, it would take decades for states like Oklahoma, Mississippi, Utah, etc. to enact same-sex marriage laws.

I certainly think the Supreme Court is likely to do so in the next tens years or so, but for now they're more likely to simply uphold the decision of the Ninth Circuit, which would only affect California.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There are a lot of policies I don't agree with that are in place in the U.S.A but a statement that europe leads the way in personal liberty?, that is just cherry picking certain issues like gay marriage but ignoring other issues about europe that are no where near as free as the U.S.A.

The main thought pattern in europe in part due to centuries of being ruled by monarchy or authority is to obey the state and that the state (collective good) comes before a individual and a individual's rights are correctly trampled on if it serves the greater good of the masses.

In europe democracy (the mob controlling the minority) is often the law. While that happens here also to a certain level we have a bill of rights that limits the majority from doing whatever they want to.

If I speak out against muslims and their laws, in Britain there is a good chance I'll be arrested for "disturbing harmony".
And if you photoshop a picture of Obama firing a skeet shotgun you'll get your head handed to you also.

You may speak out against Muslim laws all you want in any of the commonwealth countries but you cannot incite hatred or violence against Muslims as a group.

You really need to review your Patriot Act and compare it with any piece of legislation issuing forth from European countries then get back to us about your freedoms and how they can be taken away without due process or ANY process for that matter.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,629 times
Good for the UK! Hopefully the US will follow soon. I still have yet to hear a valid legal reason against same-sex marriage.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Liberal despises science? HMMM?
I think it's YOU GUYS who despise science.
Both sides despise it when it goes against their belief. Don't delude yourself.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas van Rijn View Post
I'm sure clinging to that gives you a warm fuzzy. Too bad for you there's not a shred of actual ... you know, evidence ... to support it.

Same-sex marriage has been legalized in 10 states, DC, 2 Indian Reservations, 11 entire countries, and parts of 2 other countries.

It has been repealed in precisely 1 jurisdiction (California -- and even that repeal has since been overturned by the courts).

And is there any movement to overturn it in any other states or countries? No. Yet, several states (IL, RI, DE, HI, NJ, MN) are moving towards legalizing it, as well as several other countries (the UK, France, New Zealand, Uruguay, others). All of the movement ... all of it ... is in one direction.

And this has been true for decades:

Same-sex marriage isn't going to 'go' anywhere any more than interracial marriage or universal suffrage were ever going to wane. It is coming and the evidence shows it is coming to stay.
Do you think the world began 24 years ago? Societies down through history are littered with same-sex union experiments and they always end up going away...along with those societies.

BTW, If same sex marriage is to be a success, the US will have to be the leader. Don't look toward Europe to make it happen. Europe has only been a stable society for 70 years.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,690,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you think the world began 24 years ago? Societies down through history are littered with same-sex union experiments and they always end up going away...along with those societies.

BTW, If same sex marriage is to be a success, the US will have to be the leader. Don't look toward Europe to make it happen. Europe has only been a stable society for 70 years.
This is utterly ridiculous. You must live in a bubble. Experiments? No, people hid because they knew that they would be ridiculed. Woman used to not have the right to vote, but they do today. Is that going away? No, i'm pretty sure it's here to stay. Gay marriage is along the same lines. It's gaining momentum and sooner or later, they will have the right in the US and many other countries. Things take time. Progress. The bigger question is, why do you care? And don't give me some "moral" babble about it being wrong. That's not for you or me to decide. It doesn't hurt you or affect you. It doesn't hurt me or affect me. I don't care if 2 gay people want to get married. Let them, so they can pay the extra taxes I had to pay when I was married. You need to accept the fact that you don't get to tell others how to live their lives. But something tells me you'll never be big enough to do that.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
Good for the UK. It's pretty telling that even their conservative party has seen that hatred and bigotry don't serve them and I hope one day our conservatives will figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies