Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
While a case can be made for target shooting with assault style weapons (note the use of the benign term "black rifles") they are a **** poor personal protection weapon. They are promoted as a personal protection weapon by the NRA and its accolytes, but really now, think for a minute. If you miss the perp with your promiscuously firing assault style weapon, where do the bullets go at 3,200 feet per second?

See the problem.

A far better personal protection weapon is a Mossberg Mariner with a modified magazine. You don't need to aim much, and there is little danger to those down range.

People who own Assault style rifles own them for the same reason young men put large tires on their pickup trucks.
Just as many young women put large tires on their pickup trucks...

Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
The rare day I agree with Sunshine...

I 100% appose gun control... The second amendment has deeper meaning than most here can comprehend..

A well armed citizenry. Is an insurance policy against a government that goes bad... It maintains checks and balance..

I say tax violence in video games and Hollywood productions!!!!!!..

Use the money to train every adult citizen on the use andn the responsibility of firearms.

The problem with guns is not the guns it is the fact that people do not pay them the respect they deserve..

Think of what the wise man Ben Franklin said:
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”

Willingly giving up your right to possess arms... Sure has heck sounds like giving up liberty!!
How many assault weapons are in the U.S.? | HeraldNet.com - Nation/World

There are over 2 million ARs alone. How many woodsmaster or BAR were made? Another million? Just think of the giant agency that the Govt would need to go door to door finding these evil weapons. That's going to be a lot of new jobs with a pension!

BTW does anyone have a link to those large tires for sale? The two on the back of the three fitty are starting to look rather bologna skin-ish.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Oops, I guess Bulldogdad has them big tires on his truck!
Your slip is showing.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
While a case can be made for target shooting with assault style weapons (note the use of the benign term "black rifles") they are a **** poor personal protection weapon. They are promoted as a personal protection weapon by the NRA and its accolytes, but really now, think for a minute. If you miss the perp with your promiscuously firing assault style weapon, where do the bullets go at 3,200 feet per second?

See the problem.

A far better personal protection weapon is a Mossberg Mariner with a modified magazine. You don't need to aim much, and there is little danger to those down range.

People who own Assault style rifles own them for the same reason young men put large tires on their pickup trucks.
You are making the assumption that anyone using it for personal defense is only in the scenario on a closed in house with neighbors and other family members. I live alone with no neighbors and am not worried about penetrating walls or hitting others. Also if a home invasion takes place outside the home on your property a rifle becomes a good choice where there are probably greater distances.
Making the insulting comment about owners owning so called assault rifles being the same as big tired truck owners makes your argument less about logic and more about trying to look like a smug know it all. That's fine if your point is 100 percent correct, but it is not for all scenarios.

Yes some put on large tires when they don't need them. It's their choice-why should it bother you? Unless you are one of those cranky people angry at the world because someone does something they don't agree with. But some actually have need for those tires in certain scenarios and yes they are young men.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You are making the assumption that anyone using it for personal defense is only in the scenario on a closed in house with neighbors and other family members. I live alone with no neighbors and am not worried about penetrating walls or hitting others. Also if a home invasion takes place outside the home on your property a rifle becomes a good choice where there are probably greater distances.
Making the insulting comment about owners owning so called assault rifles being the same as big tired truck owners makes your argument less about logic and more about trying to look like a smug know it all. That's fine if your point is 100 percent correct, but it is not for all scenarios.

Yes some put on large tires when they don't need them. It's their choice-why should it bother you? Unless you are one of those cranky people angry at the world because someone does something they don't agree with. But some actually have need for those tires in certain scenarios and yes they are young men.
Buckshot mudders can't be beat for slingin dirt offroad!! My stock radials just spun like crazy.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
You are making the assumption that anyone using it for personal defense is only in the scenario on a closed in house with neighbors and other family members.

No, I did not make that assumption. Living on a ranch, I tend to assume ranch like things, But lets go for the humor in your remarks......;

I live alone with no neighbors and am not worried about penetrating walls or hitting others. Also if a home invasion takes place outside the home on your property

A home invasion outside of a home isn't really a home invasion. There you go, humor

a rifle becomes a good choice where there are probably greater distances.

I have a fine rifle, a really old Winchester Model 1894, why just the other day I cut a T post in two at 150 feet with three shots from the rifle, I did have to work the lever action each time.
Owning and being able to use an accurate weapon correctly rather negates the need for a promiscuously firing weapon. And I stand by my contention that owners of Assault weapons buy them as compensation devices. And, pay attention, I am a smug knowitall.

Yes some put on large tires when they don't need them. It's their choice-why should it bother you?

I made no statement indicating that it bothers me, just read what I post and don't make stuff up.

Unless you are one of those cranky people angry at the world because someone does something they don't agree with. But some actually have need for those tires in certain scenarios and yes they are young men.

Really? Someone needs large tires on a truck for a reason? Well, you got me baffled, I cannot think of a single reason, unless they really like sliding out of control on icy roads. Now, I spent my working career in isolated areas in Nevada, The ranchers I knew carried rifles like mine, at least the self confident ones, or bolt action rifles. The Deputies I worked with had AR15's aboard, but far preferred their shotguns for self defense. They tend to know what they are talking about, a bit more than some guy who owns an assault style weapon to defend himself against the guvment or them gangsta's.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Yes humor works well when you don't have a reasonable response. I knew you would try to deflect the home invasion is not a home invasion unless they are inside the house and not just on the property. I can see you know all the experts who all hold the universal opinion of what works best and is the right answer for every scenario. You are perfect for being a politician-one who knows what is best and right for everyone else.
The last ar build party I went to had several LEO's building ar rifles-but I am sure your deputies and you know way more than they do. After all you know what is best for everyone in every situation.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 21,617 times
I find it strange that most people just don't get it. The ban has nothing to do with trying to save lives--that is just an excuse to get their foot in the door because as most know, it won't stop. Give an inch they will take a yard, etc., etc. I don't have a 'assault weapon' but would eventually like to buy one as it is like the rifle I had in the army only it is NOT fully automatic, which is what an assault weapon is!!
Please think a little before you allow the government to ban anything!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Well some people just have a narrow focus and maybe are just a bit selfish and figure on the surface if it doesn't affect me, go ahead and take their rights. But then if that is the stepping stone to infringing on their rights, then you will hear them screaming bloody murder and want to rally the troops to support their cause-the same troops they threw under the bus the first time around.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Yes humor works well when you don't have a reasonable response. I knew you would try to deflect the home invasion is not a home invasion unless they are inside the house and not just on the property. I can see you know all the experts who all hold the universal opinion of what works best and is the right answer for every scenario. You are perfect for being a politician-one who knows what is best and right for everyone else.
The last ar build party I went to had several LEO's building ar rifles-but I am sure your deputies and you know way more than they do. After all you know what is best for everyone in every situation.
I just hope you aren't shooting at a common trespasser from long range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies