Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times

Advertisements

Hmm because as much as people "say" it's normal...it's not,plain and simple.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Who said it was "normal," and how does that relate to gay marriage rights? Does being a minority (i.e. "abnormal") generally restrict one's legal rights or equality in this nation? Thought our SCOTUS already determined it does not.

P.S. I've already addressed this very point, if you look back earlier in the thread... still don't see how "normality" is in any way related to marriage equality.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
OK, and, so...?

Is it normal to have a low sperm count?
To be left-handed?
To have red hair?
To have eyes of a different color?
Is it normal to have a deformed uterus?
Is it normal to be from Alabama? Well, is it?
Because if it's not normal to be from Alabama, then nobody who isn't from other states should get married...

Aw heck, what am I thinking. If you're smart, you'll be able to answer the first and all points.
If you're not smart, or you're from Alabama, you won't understand this response at all so never mind. Asked and answered.
And, words matter. If you are not smart enough to use the words and terminology that people outside of Alabama use in order to communicate, there are government programs to help you with that.
Because in this country, we don't have "Alabama American." We have American. One nation under God, and all that.

Last edited by chiroptera; 03-07-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM

334 posts, read 451,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Oh, whoopee. Another post demogauging supporters of traditional marriage. How original.

Do you even KNOW what Traditional Marriage is? It is NOT what you may think. I KNOW your wife(if there is one) probably wouldn't like it too much.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Do you even KNOW what Traditional Marriage is? It is NOT what you may think. I KNOW your wife(if there is one) probably wouldn't like it too much.
There are a lot of women in traditional marriages around the world. The majority are content with their lives. I wouldn't say they're less happy than American women. They're probably happier.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield
Oh, whoopee. Another post demogauging supporters of traditional marriage. How original.
Demogauging? What do you mean? I don't think such a word exists.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I was a 21-year-old college senior when the first stirrings of the gay-rights movement appeared in 1971. I didn't have a problem with what went on between consrnting adults then, and I don't now.

But when the first cases involving the legal status of same-sex unions arose (in Massachusetts, IIRC) nearly thirty years later, I could not help but notice that while both Local and national news media gave it very little attention, National Public Broadacsting immediately gve the story top billing, and continued to follow it with much greater interest than its competitors. That tells me that the effort to push the issue of same-sex unions to the front burner was both painstakingly planned and well-coordinated.

And again, while I have no problem whatsoever with how people define their personal and conjugal lives, it must be recognized that the instituion of traditional, heterosexual marriage was recognized and suported within the legal structure because it is expected to produce the single most important component of an established, self-perpetuating society --children. With some exceptions here and there, the advocates for same-sex-civil unions have litle concern for this point.

Regardless of our personal economic values, most of us recognize that for the vast majority, daily life is sustained, paycheck to paycheck, by a slender thread, and relatively few will progress from entry-level to a secure retirement without a few bumps in the road. The recognition of same-sex unions adds considerable stress to that social "safety net", and a large proportion of the expected beneficiairies are viewed by many of us as having skirted the self-deprivation and hard choices which often accompany family responsibilities in early adulthood.

As with the AIDS crisis, the embrace of the same-sex unions issue by some of the most outspoken and militiant segments of the LGBT community, and the behaviors by which they sometimes demonize, harrass, and display their deep contempt for those who espouse traditional values -- in short, their cry for a place much closer to the head of a long line -- is what has caused a great deal of the backlash they mistakenly characterize as simple bigotry.
You have got to be kidding. Recognizing same-sex unions adds "considerable stress" to the safety net? That's total BS. You're just using that as a flimsy excuse to express your homophobic views disguised by a faux "concern". Maybe you don't even realize that you're doing it, but someone needed to point it out to you. Glad I could help.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 03-07-2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
There are a lot of women in traditional marriages around the world. The majority are content with their lives. I wouldn't say they're less happy than American women. They're probably happier.
Cite or it didn't happen.
The standards are higher here. Back up your statement. Otherwise your opinion is irrelevant.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Cite or it didn't happen.
The standards are higher here. Back up your statement. Your opinion isn't relevant.
Is this how women debate?

I come from a culture where traditional marriage is common. I.e marriages are arranged. I live in this country. I can compare.

Standards are not higher here. People just expect different things, and they don't get them because those things don't exist. That's why the divorce rate here is so high.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Is this how women debate?

I come from a culture where traditional marriage is common. I.e marriages are arranged. I live in this country. I can compare.

Standards are not higher here. People just expect different things, and they don't get them because those things don't exist. That's why the divorce rate here is so high.
You misunderstood me; my bad. They just moved this thread...I was asking for a cite (as opposed to anecdote and opinion) because this thread was in Great Debates which supposedly has a higher standard for posting.

But it's been moved, so never mind, Continue babbling on with your little opinions. The world is all agog to hear what you have to say about whatever tinpot country you're hailing from.

Carry on. What was it that you were going on about, again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies