Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
AND this would be? Remember we are talking consenting adults here.
Multiple consenting adults. Why is 2 a magic number?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
In my home island, Puerto Rico, homophobia is rampant, but the United States does not fall behind that much.

The arguments from people who do not want gay marriage to happen are basically related to religion. Here, I believe, state and religion are separate entities, and the constitution's current definition of marriage as a reason to oppose gay marriage is overwhelmingly vague, since it can be amended, it is not static.

Now there is something that worries me about people's "violent" opposition to gay marriage. Some people react as of this was a murder of an innocent person. Some people dare to compare homosexuality to some paraphilias, like pedophilia and zoophilia. I have even read people that say gays should die! Just what the heck is going on with some people? What is all this fear about? If you are not gay, then you are not gay. It's just as simple as that. While seeing two men or two women kissing could result weird today because it is not the norm to see it everyday (well at least in many parts of the world, maybe SF and Europe are exceptions), why would that bother you?

I am not gay and I support full rights for the LBGT community. I am sure of what I am. Are you?
Both of your questions are loaded! The first: Why are some straight people so scared of gay marriage? is huge. Part of it is answered by the second question you asked: I am sure of what I am. Are you?

I think most homophobes are right wing, and might have had (or might routinely have) secret, sexual feelings for the same gender, but because in the U.S. the right wing has made it so taboo, they're afraid of what they themselves and their political party promotes - hatred toward gays, so they parrot that hatred, probably even more than most do.

In part, I think it goes back to the false image of "manhood" in the U.S. Here, there's a promotion of a cowboy-Rambo-gun-owning-no-emotion nutjob as the ideal man. A really sick image of a male. That really sick image of the male that is encouraged in the U.S. is buoyed by a hatred toward anything female or feminine, and gays are automatically seen as feminine, even if the gays happen to be stronger, tougher, and can beat the crap out of the homophobe with one hand.

Here there's a fear of anything emotional, of caring, of tenderness, and an admiration for hatred, toughness, psychopathology, and violence. Look at the movies American men most enjoy. Movies with the sickest, most violent a-holes are the most popular ones, and sell out at the box office. Watch a guy at the Red Box - omg, they look for the movies with the most murdered, the most shootings, the ones where the hero is the most mentally ill, f'd up, needs-therapy-now weirdo.

That said, homophobes are ALL FOR gay behavior among women, which is completely irrational. Either one is against gays, or one is for gays.

So basically, I think homophobia is rooted in mental illness, in a rather sick, idealized image of a nutjob male, and that as a result there are quite a few sick puppies out there in the U.S. in desperate need of a few years of therapy and medication.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't think this is really a question of you lacking any critical thinking skills, but more so a question of are you thinking at all.

You're argument about genetic complications would fall on deaf ears, simply due to the fact that by using that anecdote, you unintentionally bring into question whether anyone with a genetic complication should be able to marry, whether they are kinship or not.

If 'genetic complications' are the apex of your argument, then you've just locked out a number of people regardless of their sexual orientation.

And you continuously dip and dodge, using arguments that support your POV but you consisntly fail to apply them equally across the board.

If this is about 'two consenting adults'--then stick to it. That being said, a mother marrying her adult son are also about two consenting adults. A man marrying 50 women (or vice versa) are between two or more consenting adults.

With regards with to your POV,should the goverment adhere to the right to refuse any legal recognition of them?

And this issue is brought up, because it is a valid question, that many of the pro-gay participants and pro-gay advocates types simply can't answer.

If this is about 'marriage equality' --then why does this only apply to homosexual marriages? Why does the buck stop with you guys and gals? Where, or can you draw the line with that line of rational? Is this equal marriage push JUST for you? Or does everyone else get swallowed up with you?

Still hearing crickets...
This is obviously going right over your head.

The chance for genetic mutations goes way way way up when two family members marry and have the potential to create offspring.

It's never been allowed to begin with. There are also a whole host of psychological problems that can come with it.

Two non related consenting adults is not the same thing as family members getting married.

I'm not sure why people always bring up weird scenarios when talking about Gay marriage.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post

I'm not sure why people always bring up weird scenarios when talking about Gay marriage.
It's because they are running out of credible arguments so they have to make the quantum leap to making comparisons between marriage equality and marriage between family members.....or marriage between human and animal.......and so forth.

They're desperate and they're starting to see the writing on the wall and to realize that marriage equality IS going to happen and they're going to have to just get over it.

Maybe not embrace it and maybe not be happy about it.......but they are going to have to accept it AS LAW.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 PM

334 posts, read 451,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
More dipping and dodging.

Animals aren't consenting adults right?

That being said, the question remains--if this is about two consenting adults' should ploygamous and incestuous marriages be included in "equal marriage" laws. or is this privelege only extended to gay couples?
TWO, TWO, TWO, you guys are so f'n conflicted you always bring up absurd things as your argument.

What would be the benefit of family members getting married?

Sexual repression does distort your thinking, you really need to go have sex with your partner.

Same-sex marriage will NOT affect your life in ANY way.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
TWO, TWO, TWO, you guys are so f'n conflicted you always bring up absurd things as your argument.

What would be the benefit of family members getting married?

Sexual repression does distort your thinking, you really need to go have sex with your partner.

Same-sex marriage will NOT affect your life in ANY way.
Personally I think it's more natural for one man to marry multiple women than two homosexuals to marry. But polygamy is not stable for society, and that's why it's not encouraged. But if the benchmark is loving, consenting adults, why does the number TWO even matter?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,476 times
Scared? I love this assumption. As if you can unilaterally determine our opposition to gay marriage so ridiculous and ignorant that we all must be

scared

Im sure it makes you feel better but as an argument it

Fails

Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

The reactionaries, the bigots and the religious zealots, will all scream about the end of the world, while the rest of the country moves forward. I can only imagine how much more advanced we would be as a society, without these neanderthals.
We will never be advanced as a society if there are people who call those with differing views "neanderthals".

Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Scared? I love this assumption. As if you can unilaterally determine our opposition to gay marriage so ridiculous and ignorant that we all must be

scared

Im sure it makes you feel better but as an argument it

Fails
Well, so far there hasn't been any good logic or reason gays can't get married.

So far the people in this thread opposing it brought up religious reasons and that it's not natural. That's about it.

If you're not scared of it, why do you oppose it?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

150 posts, read 183,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Personally I think it's more natural for one man to marry multiple women than two homosexuals to marry
How so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
But polygamy is not stable for society, and that's why it's not encouraged. But if the benchmark is loving, consenting adults, why does the number TWO even matter?
Because everyone can only love one person, not multiple partners. That's not love is lust, and gay marriage is about love not lust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies