Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM

14 posts, read 23,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post
why people say its bleeding heart because it isnt feasible and very idealistic and uses other peoples money for people who wont help themsleves in alot of cases.

communism is great ideally, but it sucks in reality, while maybe not inteded to sound that way, that is exactly what your train of thought leads us too

as far as using the sytem to get ahead and that everyone has done it, nobody is saying money should be taken from schools or other basic public services. to be honest with you my schooling sucked (thanks society). but where do you draw the line in taking the publics money and giving it to other people. what makes you think taking from those who are able to get ahead, able to EARN that income and give it to someone else. what makes that ok???? becasue you fel for the plight of the poor and think they deserve a boost?

how would you do it? how would you make sure it wasnt being exploited by illegal immigrants, lazy people, druggies and everyone else, how would you make sure that it only helped those in need trying to make there situation better, and how much help do you want to give? what happens when i lose my home becasue i cant afford to pay for everyones elses woes becasue my taxes go up another 5 %? i then need to hope fo rthe govt to get me back on my feet

lady,
its hard enough to take care of myself and my family let alone start worrying about the woes of everyone else everywhere all the time. i do what i can for the people around me when i feel like it. and i always have. i cant do anymore and i dont need you taking away to give to some stranger when i already have other people i am helping.

while what you say is idealist and good in theory....there is no way to implement it without taking more from me which will end up in the hands of people who will exploit it.

its not about hating poor people...in fact up till the last few years or so i lived at poverty levels, hell i have lived below poverty levels (another story for another time).

if you really want to do some good dont force charity upon all of us go start an organization that raises funds for specifically what you say, start a nationwide movement to help the poor. do something. hell i donate whenever i ahve a chance, and i would to that.

but dont expect everyone to do what you want becasue we are forced....do you see where we are coming from....

as far as ultra capitlist system..(health care) I am not pleased with it I want it changed, but not so i can pay more for others and receive less treatment. simple as that

universal health care is just that, no way around it...go spend some time in europe and get injured...youll see what i mean.

big business is big business i dont like it but in reality it makes alot more for me then it hurts me...so excuse us for not hating big business...could it be better...um yeah, but to what point. they make too much money? sadly that is how we make ours...its life, just deal with it
Yes, spend some time in Europe (particularly France), get knocked down by a truck and you'll see that you'll get treatment (quality treatment) at no cost. Besides, I NEVER said that I supported fully socialized healthcare, so don't put words in my mouth.

You also assume that people who need help are druggies, lazy, etc. Please post some facts to prove this, because I'm sure that for every lazy/druggie-type person, there are 100 others who genuinelly need some sort of assistance.

Unfortunately, you live in a society and it is your duty to pay taxes. If you don't like the way that your tax dollars are being spent, write to your senator, but don't sit there and make blanket statements about not wanting to give money to others. You've been to school, you drive on our roads, you live in a country with a sophisicated army to defend you against all known threats.

You can't be a true "individualist" unless you **** off to a desert island and become truly self-sufficient, IMHO.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
You know there is middle ground. I think there are a lot more hard working decent poor out there that many "individualists" care to admit. I think that saying all the poor are lazy and don't want to achieve is kind of a cop out from addressing our society's problems. Sure there are lazy freeloaders, but to say the majority of people on public assistance are lazy freeloaders goes against what the data suggests.

The issue of globalization is changing our society and the poor and uneducated have less options for living wages. There should be an outcry by the average worker when more and more of the decent working jobs - including engineering, computer programming, skilled manufacturing, white collar management - are getting outsourced to China and India and VietNam, and for that the executive class get bonuses and stock options. On the news it just showed that college education has gone up another 6.6% this year, while loans and grants have gone down. It is getting harder and harder to get a higher education. And then people graduate owing tens of thousands of dollars only to see their specialization get outsourced a few years down the road to another country. Even research and development is getting outsourced. I have friends -qualified engineers - that have lost jobs multiple times in the past couple years due to the outsourcing trend. It is blowing up.

There is a sea change occurring here - not everybody can own a McDonald's franchise or a used car lot, which is going to be all the options left. Maybe caring for the elderly too. I enjoy the partisan "boxing" as much as anyone, but it would be helpful to try to get to some common ground on recognizing this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.
Great post!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
It is commendable to use your time to help poor people get on their feet. But government is NOT the answer and does NOT owe people a free ride.
Nobody is talking about a "free ride" here, nor am I defending genuinelly lazy people who refuse to work.

The government owes you nothing, but society as a whole owes it to itself.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal_Jesus View Post
Nobody is talking about a "free ride" here, nor am I defending genuinelly lazy people who refuse to work.

The government owes you nothing, but society as a whole owes it to itself.
Who is "society as a whole", and who owes what to whom?

And who decides? You?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
This thread has gotten way out of hand and a warning was already posted. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies