Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
On the farm we had a saying. If you didnt earn it, you dont deserve it.
I never said all are lazy. Many are just like me before I got a break. A break I worked for.
How do you define "earning" it. Does that include people who make money off of other people's hard work? (Trickle up effect?)

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,451,211 times
If he had wanted to protect this country from "terrorists" he would have attacked Saudi Arabia. Anyone that still believes his BS should have their brain examined. I'd much rather have had a president that would have spent this money on health care, THAT would have actually benefitted some people that need help.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM

502 posts, read 1,067,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Good one, fish, and I could name a few, but it would take us off topic.
Would it really? Maybe that's just a different side of this topic: the questionable sense of entitlement nurtured by the wealthy.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Rich people get rich by hard work. Look at a couple CEO's or money managers or other people in these fields. They work ridiculous hours and don't see their families, really that often at all. It is called an education. Best investment you could ever make, trust me.
Do you think they work harder than someone who works two-three jobs and cleans toilets?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,142,524 times
Could be a new thread, colorado native.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
thanks...much depth in your post. No one wants to fail, but the body and/or mind often has problems with succeeding in life. I think there should be impowerment type classes widely available to people, and think our schools need daily classes taught by special teachers that address kids problems, solutions and empowerment....and parents must participate to help change things for the better for their children.
You notice that once you have graduated from HS, and maybe a few years beyond that, any help to raise yourself out of your condition is gone? (You are no longer eligible.) So you make a mistake when you are young, and you realize you have made a mistake, say when you are 28. So you want to raise your lot in life.... But since you messed up, you are forever stuck in your lot. <snark>Wag your finger because it's your own fault. You are never allowed to reform your evil ways!</snark>

Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
there's wealthier people above you.. that have positioned things so that even a hard working person like yourself can't afford to take care of himsel AND they are sticking you with the bill THEY should be paying.. and that is helping the poor.

Tax burdens are put on the working middle class to support the lower classes, and all of us common people sit here and argue back and forth about whats right and what we're sick of yadda yadda yadda.. when the real people getting out skate free are the numerous millionares who pay disgustingly low taxes..
Exactly. Where is the outrage? The problem, is that the middle class have this idea that those people who are engaging in legalized theft (we'll call a spade a spade) are their cohorts, when in reality, they will likely never reach that level of wealth. And so they sympathize with the wrong people, and direct their outrage at the poor.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
presidency has little effect on the economy, and I was more referring to ALL politicians..namely congress... we are constantly blinded by these trivial issues and do not see the whole picture...
I agree that there should be a flat tax.. in fact I would go so far as to say there should be a flat sales tax..
if you want to be materialistic and buy up the world... then you support the infrastructure and society you function in.. If you want to buy a car.. then you pay taxes on it to support roads.. if you buy a house then you pay taxes to support schools and parks..
nobody can escape a sales tax... but it would not limit someone from gaining wealth.. it would only effect you if you wish to lavish yourself in it...
Flat taxes are regressive. The less you make, the higher percentage of your income gets spent on bare necessities.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,733 times
As more and more middle class slip into the ranks of "working class poor" hopefully their sympathy wil be redirected.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Those who aren't willing to provide for themselves shouldn't be subsidized by those who are.
Is that a quote from Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies