Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
There are people who legitimately need help. However, there are many more who continue to look for a free ride. I suggest that you help those who truly deserve help and work toward removing these policies that encourage and reward laziness.
Finally someone I agree with.

The whole mentality of this thread reeps of laziness and people wanting a handout. Pathetic.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
There are people who legitimately need help. However, there are many more who continue to look for a free ride. I suggest that you help those who truly deserve help and work toward removing these policies that encourage and reward laziness.
Well said..... I can add nothing to it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Liberal' I may be: I have to side with tinman01, etc. here--------it is called taking personal responsibility.
And if you sponge off others like the world owes you a living, then you should be sentenced to prison?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal_Jesus View Post
I read this forum sometimes, but I have never felt compelled to post something, up until now. I’ve read many of the discussions in here, particularly those concerning those in our society who are “less fortunate”, for whatever reason. I have to say that without mentioning names, I am completely and utterly disgusted by the attitudes displayed by a select few ‘regulars’ in this forum who seem to believe that they have no duty whatsoever to contribute to the society that basically gave them the opportunity to be rich/successful.

You know, it’s hard enough struggling for money in the first place without right-wing individualist a-hole blaming the poor for their problems, spewing the following garbage:

“It’s their fault, they made bad choices”
“They should simply get a better job and a college education”
“Why should I pay for someone’s cancer treatment?”
“They are lazy and unmotivated”
“They have no right to healthcare”
"Do away with welfare"

I am seriously tired of hearing this crap and in all honesty, it doesn’t help the situation in this country. To sit back and judge a large group of people (the poor/working class) is simply ridiculous, especially when you don’t know their particular situations in life, or what they may or may not have been through. To even suggest that someone be denied access to healthcare for something as serious and life-threatening as cancer is basically evil and inhumane.

What have the poor ever done to you? Do you seriously believe that the majority of poor people simply choose to be poor because of laziness? Are you really that ignorant? It seems that many of you are hypocrites, because you're quite happy for billions of dollars to be wasted on a pointless war and you're quite happy to be robbed blind by insurance companies and hospitals. But instead of worrying about REAL issues, people will continue to scapegoat the poor, practically accusing them of robbing *their* precious tax dollars.

There are many factors that could hamper a person from succeeding in life. These include depression or other mental illnesses, childhood abuse, being born into a broken home, the loss of a loved one, physical illness, being a victim of crime or unemployment. You cannot sit there and judge someone, just because they’re poor. Some people are born to succeed, while others struggle every day just to wake up and face life.

The fact of the matter is that there will ALWAYS be a need for supermarket workers, cleaners, janitors, taxi drivers, care workers, factory workers, etc. Not everyone is capable of succeeding in this cutthroat society that many of us is so “free”….the land of opportunity (yeah, right). While these people may not be entitled to drive flashy cars, or own nice houses, they do have a right to the basics when it comes to food, shelter and healthcare. As one of the worlds most developed economies, we simply owe it to our people to provide these things, like it or not.

To all of you so-called “individualists”, I have a suggestions for you; if you’re so opposed to paying taxes to give something back to the society that gave you your chance to succeed in the first place, why don’t you just leave for a desert island somewhere, where everything you own will truly be yours and where you can be truly self-sufficient. Until then, how about you stop driving on PUBLIC roads, tell the PUBLIC police to stop protecting you, pull your kids out of the PUBLIC school system, dispose of your own garbage and take care of your own defense.

As for healthcare, many seem so hell-bent on defending the current system – a system that is failing millions of people and causing bankruptcies due to illness (illness being something that could strike anyone, rich or poor). I often wonder people who think of healthcare as a commodity will ever wake up and smell the coffee, or maybe that will only happen when illness and misery strikes them.

In summary, the sheer greed and selfishness displayed in this forum (and in this country in general) is nothing short of a disgrace. It’s not the poor / working class that are the problem in America – it’s the greedy individualists and their “me, me, me” attitude. Instead of deporting all of the illegal aliens, perhaps we should deport the individualists instead, so that we are free from their evil B.S. and so that they can take their precious money off to a desert island somewhere.

Yeah, just keep blaming those less fortunate than you for all of their problems, because it makes you look good....you can sit there on your high and mighty horse and give yourself a huge pat on the back. It must be so great to look down on people and judge millions of people that you don't even know (or care to know). I pity you, seriously. I hope that it doesn't take a serious personal misfortune to wake you up to how ridiculously evil your attitudes truly are.
thanks...much depth in your post. No one wants to fail, but the body and/or mind often has problems with succeeding in life. I think there should be impowerment type classes widely available to people, and think our schools need daily classes taught by special teachers that address kids problems, solutions and empowerment....and parents must participate to help change things for the better for their children.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
It's really not rocket science....we owe it to people to at least provide the basics, like it or not.
Define "basics" -

Housing?

Utilities?

Food?

Guaranteed minimum income?

Health Insurance?

Automobile?

Vacations?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
It is commendable to use your time to help poor people get on their feet. But government is NOT the answer and does NOT owe people a free ride.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
You know there is middle ground. I think there are a lot more hard working decent poor out there that many "individualists" care to admit. I think that saying all the poor are lazy and don't want to achieve is kind of a cop out from addressing our society's problems. Sure there are lazy freeloaders, but to say the majority of people on public assistance are lazy freeloaders goes against what the data suggests.

The issue of globalization is changing our society and the poor and uneducated have less options for living wages. There should be an outcry by the average worker when more and more of the decent working jobs - including engineering, computer programming, skilled manufacturing, white collar management - are getting outsourced to China and India and VietNam, and for that the executive class get bonuses and stock options. On the news it just showed that college education has gone up another 6.6% this year, while loans and grants have gone down. It is getting harder and harder to get a higher education. And then people graduate owing tens of thousands of dollars only to see their specialization get outsourced a few years down the road to another country. Even research and development is getting outsourced. I have friends -qualified engineers - that have lost jobs multiple times in the past couple years due to the outsourcing trend. It is blowing up.

There is a sea change occurring here - not everybody can own a McDonald's franchise or a used car lot, which is going to be all the options left. Maybe caring for the elderly too. I enjoy the partisan "boxing" as much as anyone, but it would be helpful to try to get to some common ground on recognizing this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
government is a representation of our society.. so.. to tackle issues in the society takes government involvement on some level..
I love the responses of people on the right... "bleeding hearts" seriously?
when this issue is talked about it reminds me of people who work in restaurants...
there's always the cheap a-holes that feels he doesn't feel he needs to tip.. citing.."they get paid.. thats their job.. rah rah rah.." when the reality is.. they get paid in most states below 3 dollars per hour, thus causing the COST of the food to be lower so YOU can afford the service....nevermind the fact that they didn't give you service to your liking... does that entail someone to be worth 3 dollars per hour? I think if they are bad at their job they should be fired.. but the situation they are put into.. where its up to everyone's own discrepancy as to their worth. Back in the day when tipping started it was done BEFORE the meal.. to ensure prompt service and the waiters and waitresses got paid a standard wage.. This industry is one example of how the fortunes of the working class get stepped on for the sake of business and customers.. and money..it is actually supported by state goverment wage laws AS WELL.....so if you want to talk about fair... then ok.. lets make things fair... but unfortunately the kinds of adjustments that are needed to make it fair would cause a lot of rich people's businesses to go under...and then it would be all the poor people's fault for demanding fair standard wages and pracitices....

Edit: the point is... people shouldn't and wouldn't feel pressure to tip if the waiters were paid a decent wage.. thus solving the issue of people feeling they always have to shell out for the poor..... but the flip side would entail the food costing more, and making YOU not as well off in the economy as you are now...and of course we can't have that.. because its lovely sitting in a comfortable position.. and casting blame and punishment on others ...

Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM

294 posts, read 437,491 times
Quote:
I read this forum sometimes, but I have never felt compelled to post something, up until now. I’ve read many of the discussions in here, particularly those concerning those in our society who are “less fortunate”, for whatever reason. I have to say that without mentioning names, I am completely and utterly disgusted by the attitudes displayed by a select few ‘regulars’ in this forum who seem to believe that they have no duty whatsoever to contribute to the society that basically gave them the opportunity to be rich/successful.

gave me an oppurtunity, i had to scratch one out to become middle class...society didnt give me ****. i pay out the nose in taxes for others to have this country and have the oppurtunity and fo rthe most part if they wont take it...tuff ****

You know, it’s hard enough struggling for money in the first place without right-wing individualist a-hole blaming the poor for their problems, spewing the following garbage:

“It’s their fault, they made bad choices”-in alot of cases the truth, deal with it
“They should simply get a better job and a college education”-or at least try to improve there standing in life
“Why should I pay for someone’s cancer treatment?”-you gonna pay for it?
“They are lazy and unmotivated”- alot of times the truth...deal with it
“They have no right to healthcare”-who the hell said that? or was it just something you made up that sounds big bad and mean. i can barely afford health care for my family being middle class, i am not paying for someone else becasue you feel bad for them.
"Do away with welfare"- how many of the people are not taking advantage of the system in excess? how many are legit down and out people who are striving for something better use it and get off it asap?

I am seriously tired of hearing this crap and in all honesty, it doesn’t help the situation in this country. To sit back and judge a large group of people (the poor/working class) is simply ridiculous, especially when you don’t know their particular situations in life, or what they may or may not have been through. To even suggest that someone be denied access to healthcare for something as serious and life-threatening as cancer is basically evil and inhumane.

then get out YOUR checkbook and start helping. evil and inhumane? becasue i cant afford to give away any more of my money to people fo rthe most part who wont make a better life for themselves

What have the poor ever done to you? Do you seriously believe that the majority of poor people simply choose to be poor because of laziness?

yes or stupidity...i was poor and grew up with alot of other poor and guess what this was the case alot of the time

Are you really that ignorant?

seems you are on this matter

It seems that many of you are hypocrites, because you're quite happy for billions of dollars to be wasted on a pointless war

lets talk ignorance here, i bet you know nothing of this war except what you get on CNN. am i right? dont go there.

and you're quite happy to be robbed blind by insurance companies and hospitals.
oh no i am not happy about this, but part of the reason we pay out the nose is to cover the poor

But instead of worrying about REAL issues, people will continue to scapegoat the poor, practically accusing them of robbing *their* precious tax dollars.

when the system really only takes care of the ones who cant help themselves out at that moment they are robbing my precious tax dollars

There are many factors that could hamper a person from succeeding in life. These include depression or other mental illnesses, legit cases, but depression is usually a crock of ****. childhood abuse legit, being born into a broken home i was doesnt mean you cant make something of yourself, the loss of a loved one move on, physical illness legit, being a victim of crime or unemployment more crimes are commited by poor people and unemployment can go both ways...lazy or just got the shaft. You cannot sit there and judge someone, just because they’re poor. I dont, doesnt mean i wont to give away everything i worked for for them Some people are born to succeed, while others struggle every day just to wake up and face life not my problem, i ahve been both and dont have a whole lot of sympathy for those who cant make it becasue they dont try hard enough or they are stupid .

The fact of the matter is that there will ALWAYS be a need for supermarket workers, cleaners, janitors, taxi drivers, care workers, factory workers, etc. Not everyone is capable of succeeding in this cutthroat society that many of us is so “free”….the land of opportunity (yeah, right). opportunity doesnt mean you are going to be a millionare, and guess what some wil lhave to settle for a little less then others, dont like it tough.

While these people may not be entitled to drive flashy cars, or own nice houses, they do have a right to the basics when it comes to food, shelter and healthcare. As one of the worlds most developed economies, we simply owe it to our people to provide these things, like it or not.

no we dont owe it to our people, we owe them the opportunity and ethically helping out only the most down and out might be feasible

To all of you so-called “individualists”, I have a suggestions for you; if you’re so opposed to paying taxes to give something back

society hasnt given me anything except a hard time, and i gave 11 years of my life for this country.

to the society that gave you your chance to succeed in the first place, why don’t you just leave for a desert island somewhere, where everything you own will truly be yours and where you can be truly self-sufficient.

I would if i could find one
Until then, how about you stop driving on PUBLIC roads i pay for these, tell the PUBLIC police to stop protecting you never asked them too, in fact i would rather deal with most of it myself, pull your kids out of the PUBLIC school system again i pay for it, dispose of your own garbage again i pay for it and take care of your own defense I would happily, but people like you would get really freaked out and dont want people like me out there.

As for healthcare, many seem so hell-bent on defending the current system – a system that is failing millions of people and causing bankruptcies due to illness (illness being something that could strike anyone, rich or poor). I often wonder people who think of healthcare as a commodity will ever wake up and smell the coffee, or maybe that will only happen when illness and misery strikes them.

health care is broken IMO, but since i am already paying out the nose for it, i dont want to pay anymore.

In summary, the sheer greed and selfishness displayed in this forum (and in this country in general) is nothing short of a disgrace. It’s not the poor / working class that are the problem in America – it’s the greedy individualists and their “me, me, me” attitude. Instead of deporting all of the illegal aliens, perhaps we should deport the individualists instead, so that we are free from their evil B.S. and so that they can take their precious money off to a desert island somewhere.

I earned it and am tired of people like you telling me what to do with it. its not greed but when everyone out there is trying to spend my HARD earned money on everything they want...screw that. i have no problem paying for schools, i have no problem paying taxes, but i want all the crap out of it and I dont want to pay for stuff most people should take care of on there own. i grew up poor and i made a way for myself by busting my tail, now i lose over a third of my paycheck because some asshat somehwere thinks my tax money should help out people who in a lot of cases where they ARE being lazy or stupid-if i could pick what my tax dollars went to (without changing the amount) i wouldnt have a problem

Yeah, just keep blaming those less fortunate than you for all of their problems, because it makes you look good

I blame the less ofrtunate for there problems becasue i blamed myself when i was less fortunate and i did something about it

....you can sit there on your high and mighty horse and give yourself a huge pat on the back. It must be so great to look down on people and judge millions of people that you don't even know (or care to know). I pity you, seriously. I hope that it doesn't take a serious personal misfortune to wake you up to how ridiculously evil your attitudes truly are.

I hope you realize how greedy yours sound

Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 PM

294 posts, read 437,491 times
Quote:
are shelfish and greedy.
i dont know about you but in that persons defense he never called me a oyster, clam or mussel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies