Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 AM

105 posts, read 85,844 times

Advertisements

Several of my conservative friends smoke pot. A couple do it because it gives them pain relief but the rest simply enjoy relaxing and feeling mellow after a stressful day. Enjoying a few pleasures in life isn't limited to those with liberal political views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 AM

510 posts, read 371,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks
Cannabis is a carcinogen? That was an unproven theory, that has now been proven false. The gov't or pill cos won't tell you the truth if any of their income comes from sources that would lose if the truth came out.

Cannabis isn't about being cool, trendy or hip. It's been around 10,000 years, and has been legal most of that time. Cannabis terrible for your body? No way!

Cigarettes contain the poison nicotine that paralyzes the cilia that clean the lungs. Notice that tobacco smokers cough mostly when they've gone too long with out smoking, like when they wake up. Cannabis does not contain the poison nicotine, so users can cough immediately, perhaps preventing tar build-up. Most coughing from smoking cannabis is from throat irritation, not lung irritation. This is easily proven. Give one cannabis user an ice cold drink while smoking it, and have the other smoke it while not drinking anything.

Another thing besides lack of liquid that makes cannabis users cough is false beliefs. The biggest hit held the longest is not necessary to get the desired effect. Yep, no inhaling of more than the lungs can hold, no need to hold it in for 30 seconds or more.

Likely the worst side effect from cannabis is if one has more THC than they are used to, they may get a feeling they never had before, which could cause them to panic with thought like maybe it will be fatal. So some go to ER for panic, though the feeling would likely pass within an hour. This likely happens less than 1% of the time. If cannabis users cough when not using, likely they are current or recent tobacco users.

The reason cannabis doesn't cause cancer is the anti-dotes are built-in! At least 8 cannabinoids have been proven to fight cancer. A man in Canada, Rick Simpson used up $1,3 million live savings, saving about 5,000 lives with cannabis oil. US gov't told Canada to arrest him as a drug dealer. But pills, wars, alcohol, and tobacco are good because they've killed millions?! 1 billion have smoked or vaporized cannabis in the last 10,000 years, with no proven deaths, therefore bad?!

Gov't let a few people in on a Compassionate Use program in late '70s. 1 is a stock broker (Irv Rosenfeld?)that still gets 300 joints from gov't per month, lung oxygen tested at 103%. I've watched enough people online smoking tobacco and cannabis that I've noticed the cannabis smoke usually had a lighter color. As best as I know, more tar would be darker, not lighter. Glad to answer what I can. Best wishes.

As for physical harm, there is a very rare chance of feeling a sore spot in a lung for a fraction of a day. I don't know if that is overheating like a tiny burn, or excessive exercise of a lung. One of the physical effects of cannabis is some types can cause a numb-like feeling that can make anxiety and depression go away for maybe a few hours, a huge benefit for those with neurological disorders. Also, there are over 1,700 strains of cannabis available at American dispensaries. Effects, good and bad, along with percent chance are listed at weeddepot.com/ It shows best strains to smoke for each of about 65 conditions

Also, many in these last few years are using cannabis oil that is heated to below the point of combustion, is known to help 250 conditions and may help 350 more conditions. Best woshes

Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Why do you want to mandate that people must bathe their cocker spaniels only on every other Friday?
Okay, I'm through with this thread. You don't want to have a real conversation.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 AM

776 posts, read 395,059 times
Marijuana is seen as something enjoyed by blacks and hippies. Blacks and hippies are reliable Democrat voters, so the Democrats want to legalize their hobbies so that they can vote while the Republicans want to criminalize their hobbies in order to suppress their votes. Cigarettes are seen as something enjoyed by rebellious teenagers, and Democrats hate rebellious teenagers.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:13 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

As for your conclusion that I ever wanted to go out and get high,you are for sure, barking up the wrong tree.

I will be 79 in one more week, and I have gone my entire life without one illicit drug, and liquor of any kind, has never touched my lips.
The same goes for beer, and wine.

Never have, and never will.

I have never needed those artificial crutches to enjoy life.

I get high on life itself, and thankful for every minute I have lived.
I have had a good, and successful life, and I believe it is all about attitude, and what one thinks of one's self.

Bob.
Me, too. I have been a non-smoker, non-illicit drug user and non-drinker all my life, although I am not quite 79 years old.

Those things have never appealed to me and I have no need for them.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
I didn’t realize this was a partisan issue. Until logging onto this forum, of course.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What makes me think(and know) there will be many more now buying it is, many would not buy it and risk getting arrested.

Reasons being, don't want to lose a job because of an arrest record, don't want to embarrass friends, family, co-workers with an arrest record, just to name a couple.

Many who wanted it in the past but wouldn't risk it, will now be buying because it's legal, and only a fool would believe these people will never drive while high.

As for your conclusion that I ever wanted to go out and get high,you are for sure, barking up the wrong tree.

I will be 79 in one more week, and I have gone my entire life without one illicit drug, and liquor of any kind, has never touched my lips.
The same goes for beer, and wine.

Never have, and never will.

I have never needed those artificial crutches to enjoy life.

I get high on life itself, and thankful for every minute I have lived.
I have had a good, and successful life, and I believe it is all about attitude, and what one thinks of one's self.

Bob.
That's actually kind of sad. You'll die never knowing if you would have enjoyed a glass of wine, a bottle of beer, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Me, too. I have been a non-smoker, non-illicit drug user and non-drinker all my life, although I am not quite 79 years old.

Those things have never appealed to me and I have no need for them.
See my reply to Bob.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 AM

510 posts, read 371,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't think either one is cool. And we already have problems with folks driving while drunk, now the pro-pot folks want us all to have to deal with driving while stoned?? And don't say that can't cause deaths - I can point you to two families in my area who lost teenaged children to an idiot who was stoned AND drunk and slammed into the car they were riding in, killing 2 of the 4 occupants, all of whom were high school students.

US gov't study released 2/15 said cannabis is not a statistically significant cause of deaths in fatal crashes.
They mentioned other studies made errors by not considering everything. Males 15-24 have the highest rate of cannabis use, but they also have the highest rate of alcohol use. Also, these young males tend to take the most risks, even when not under the effect of alcohol or weed. I also believe they could drive bad for other reasons, intense emotions, distractions from several friends in car, inadequate vehicle maintenance due to lack of funds?

Prescription pill use, legal or illegal, is up. The sleep medicine Ambien has even allowed people to drive their cars while they are asleep. Young people raiding their parents pill cabinets is fairly common.

You seemed very quick to assume those accidents were caused by pot not alcohol. One effect of pot and alcohol at the same time is it make a person want less alcohol. So many chronic drunks use very little pot as they worry they won't get their normal drunk feeling, or unconsciousness, or even that it will block their desire to drink enough to avoid DTs that could kill them. Being close to death from alcohol is a shockingly common occurrence. Alcohol is more associated with anger and violence than pot that makes people calm(er) if anything can do it. Alcohol also seems to make people more open to suggestions, good or bad.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
marijuana is seen as something enjoyed by blacks and hippies. Blacks and hippies are reliable democrat voters, so the democrats want to legalize their hobbies so that they can vote while the republicans want to criminalize their hobbies in order to suppress their votes. Cigarettes are seen as something enjoyed by rebellious teenagers, and democrats hate rebellious teenagers.
wtf???

Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
That's actually kind of sad. You'll die never knowing if you would have enjoyed a glass of wine, a bottle of beer, etc...
See my reply to Bob.
I think I can do without those!

I don't think I would like beer; don't like the smell.

I possibly would like wine but don't want to take the chance of being an alcoholic (many who say that can never happen to them later regret saying that).

I prefer vanilla Coke (yes, I know soft drinks are not exactly healthful drinks, but it's very nice knowing I can't be pulled over for drinking sodas).

Instead of the "pleasure" of consuming alcohol (or cigarettes or drugs), I enjoy pizza and chocolate.
I really don't think I'm missing much, if anything. A great many people are lifelong non-drinkers and still enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies