Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
According to this picture,and many,many others, the lines are very long to get into mj shops here in Los Angeles.

You really don't expect us to believe all these people were smoking it before it became legal do you?
Newly legal means more people will be using it, increasing the danger of more people driving while high.

Bob.
Yes, the overwhelming majority of them probably have been smoking marijuana all along.

You really have no clue about how many people use it, do you? https://www.popsci.com/survey-says-p...led-since-2002

Something like 60% of american voters support legalization. Not all of them are users, but even if only half of them are users, that means 30% of american voters use marijuana. That's a sizeable chunk of people.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-11-2018 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Edit: Well, looks like someone provided a link to a study which shows pot is even more likely to cause cancer than cigs.
Well, actually that will probably end up supporting full legalization for pot, or cause cigarettes to be made illegal, one or the other.

After all, cannot make one product/ industry exempt while targeting another for the same thing, if they use the cancer threat as a reason to keep pot illegal, that would be bad news for big tobacco!

Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, actually that will probably end up supporting full legalization for pot, or cause cigarettes to be made illegal, one or the other.

After all, cannot make one product/ industry exempt while targeting another for the same thing, if they use the cancer threat as a reason to keep pot illegal, that would be bad news for big tobacco!
There is no way to use a cancer threat as a reason to keep pot illegal because it does not cause cancer. They look really really hard for it, but can't find any. Hmmm.

50 years usage by hundreds of millions of people with no documented cases.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
wtf???
Channeling the racist Harry Anslinger - who's been dead for 40 years.

"In the 1930s Anslinger's articles often contained racial themes in his anti-marijuana campaign:[17]

Colored students at the Univ. of Minn. partying with (white) female students, smoking [marijuana] and getting their sympathy with stories of racial persecution. Result: pregnancy.[18][19]

Two Negros took a girl fourteen years old and kept her for two days under the influence of hemp. Upon recovery she was found to be suffering from syphilis.[19]

Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men.[20]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-11-2018 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
They're both bad. I will never hire a cig or pot smoker.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
Because = No Studies yet. That should take 40 years - 20 years for them to develop cancer, 20 years for the study.
In fact, some of the PSS USA (Pot Smoking States) are getting pressure to allow smoking back in restaurants.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
<>Not all of them are users, but even if only half of them are users, that means 30% of american voters use marijuana. That's a sizeable chunk of people.
Not if the cancer takes hold.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Cancer is not the reason why it is illegal.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not following.

Read the side affects and horror stories created by things like Ambien and other BigPharma products and make a case that a little cannabis as a sleep aid among other things isn't a better alternative.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I identify with the left, and I abhor both marijuana and tobacco. Neither is cool in my book. And while we're at it, I'm not a fan of drinking alcohol either. To be succinct, though, I don't believe that any of the three should be illegal for adults.
That makes perfect sense! I wish everyone would realize that just because they do or don't do/like something it isn't up to them to decide everyone else should be exactly like they are.

The one thing everyone should have no issue with agreeing on is that this insidious war on drugs has been an utter failure, destroyed lives needlessly, and lined the pockets of judges, politicians, and corporate prison systems.

It was never for the greater good. It was always designed to protect WR Hearst and DuPont's profits.

The best example of crony capitalism, political corruption, and abuse of the public trust prior to Viet Nam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
They're both bad. I will never hire a cig or pot smoker.
That's okay, who would want to work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies