Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
An obvious commonsense approach would be to exempt small businesses below some specified annual (or monthly) sales volume, for example, $1 million per year might be a good place to draw that line,
Well, doh, that's exactly what it is. One million and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM

709 posts, read 598,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
Right. That's how it is today and that's how it will be in the future. The part that makes it seem like you don't know what your talking about is:

Why does that matter?
I haven't used any roads. I haven't created any smog with fuel. I haven't used the airport or any public transportation. I haven't visited any parks or any local Government funded establishment.

All I did was make a phone call or ordered online. I already paid UPS or Fed Ex for shipping. They pay all their local and State taxes.

I shouldn't be double taxed on that item.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Since when did Obama have the right to take over the internet, which isn't supposed to be owned by anyone?

Another way our constitutional rights are being dismantled one by one with this corrupt, communist, power hungry administration.

Watch out folks, e stamps are the next thing you'll be paying for on every piece of e mail you send & receive. The closing of hundreds of post offices & airport towers nation wide is just the beginning in this saga.
Are you familiar with America?

Postal Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Green_50 View Post
I haven't used any roads. I haven't created any smog with fuel. I haven't used the airport or any public transportation. I haven't visited any parks or any local Government funded establishment.

All I did was make a phone call or ordered online. I already paid UPS or Fed Ex for shipping. They pay all their local and State taxes.

You aren't being double taxed. Wlamart and Bestbuy pay shipping as well and when you buy from them you pay for their shipping costs, in addition to the sales tax that is.

What does your state law say? If your state doesn't have a sales tax this law doesn't affect you and if you just aren't paying sales tax... Well, tax evasion isn't really a good argument.

Amazon.com Help: About the Internet Tax Freedom Act

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM

137 posts, read 136,085 times
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that you stay in your home all day and don't use any state/city funded service ever.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Yes, I'm paying sales tax on my Amazon purchases now so I'm using ebay more. Eventually there will be no place to hide from sales tax. Right or wrong it ought I can't fault the logic of being consistant.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM

137 posts, read 136,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are you familiar with America?

Postal Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You aren't being double taxed. Wlamart and Bestbuy pay shipping as well and when you buy from them you pay for their shipping costs, in addition to the sales tax that is.

What does your state law say? If your state doesn't have a sales tax this law doesn't affect you and if you just aren't paying sales tax... Well, tax evasion isn't really a good argument.

Amazon.com Help: About the Internet Tax Freedom Act
Well said.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:

If you don't think it's fair to be required to pay a use tax on items you purchase from a merchant outside of your state, convince your state legislators to repeal the use tax.

This is not a new tax, and it is not a tax being levied by the federal government.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Default CISPA and Internet Taxes

With all the drama going on. It seems important that people not let these 2 pending internet nightmares take place.

What is CISPA, and Why Should You Care? | News & Opinion ...

A petition with contact information here.
CISPA is back.

Keep in mind what has already been enacted through the corporate back door.
American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12

This is probably the most concerning. This article links to others pointing out various problems. This would indeed be a nightmare for small business, though I can see where they would try to make this into a uniform tax to attempt to deal with that problem. Our current system of collecting tax if you exist in a particular state seems just fine to me. To collect taxes from a state where the business isn't located seems baseless.

Gov't to Launch Internet Sales Tax on Back of CISPA

A link to bill here. They say it will exempt small-sellers, however, I still see no need for changes and once the foot is in the door it almost invariably progresses to further issues.

S.336 - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - A bill to restore States ...

Last edited by CDusr; 04-24-2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM

This article points out some issues. This is creating a whole new category of taxes "remote" taxes. Seems with that a new "jurisdiction" is also being created essentially?

Quote from bill summary in link listed in previous post.

"Defines "remote sale" as a sale of goods or services into a state in which the seller would not legally be required to pay, collect, or remit state or local sales and use taxes unless provided by this Act."

There's Nothing Fair About the Marketplace Fairness Act - Jeff ...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM

This is some earlier information on CISPA. Seems that giant NSA facility in Utah will be put to good use.

Bill would create partnership between NSA and U.S. corporations | The Raw Story

H.R.3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies