Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
How many of you are willing to pay $8 for a happy meal for your kids? These businesses would have to close down if they paid these idiots $15 an hour..
You might be right, but then you might not be. Without knowing what kind of profit they actually make, you have no way of knowing what they can afford to pay. I don't know what a Happy Meal costs McD's, and neither do you....although I suspect that you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times
but i struggle to understand why cant they just get a different job at similar skill level that pays more?

Porter/ Dishwasher Washing dishes $9 an hour, if they managed to get a job at mcdonalds they could get that one too

Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
erm have u ever worked at mcdonalds? after your shift you will feel a lot more tired than any office job. 7.25 is INHUMAIN in New York
So people should be paid based on how tiring their job is?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I paid my own way through college, never finished though. Nothing was handed to me in my life, though I have been luckier than some. I have had a job since I was 12 years old (paperboy), many times during my life I have had 2 job, that is what I did through college. I have never been unemployed. I work hard and have carved out my little piece of the pie. This make me naieve?
"luckier than some" is not merit. And that's the point. Did you, say, have any major physical problems that would have interfered with your getting a job, like I mentioned before, did you have any teeth missing which would require a substantial amount of money to fix, which would have caused you problems getting a job? Minimum wage workers don't often have dental insurance, just as an example. Have you always had all your co-workers like you a lot, and your bosses like you, or at the very least didn't dislike you? Were you ever bullied in the workplace? Do you think those things don't happen to other people who don't deserve it at all? IMO, what makes you naive is that you indicate that you think "work" is this sterile environment where the only thing that is considered is merit. That's simply not true, from the lowly jobs in fast food to the high levels of the top executives in a company.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Hey, bud, I know. Didn't I just say that you built it all yourself? I know you. You're different than the rest of those lazy leeches who expect to have everything handed to them. You're different. You're willing to work hard. Who else but a hard worker could simultaneously carry out a cell phone conversation and make the kind of inspired posts you make on the C-D Politics Forum? You don't need to tell me twice that you're an exceptional individual.
Thank you for acknowledging how awesome I am.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
this is a joke right? hahah do you realize how much money mcdonalds makes? they would hardly notice any difference if they had to pay more in just one american city..

I agree that $15 is too much but they deserve $10
You do realize there is a difference between corporate McDonalds and McDonalds franchises don't you? The actual restaurants are franchises. Small businesses that get support (Non financial support) from corporate McDonalds. Any employee of any fast food chain is free to seek other employment. No McDonalds holds their employees there at gunpoint. They may deserve a better wage, but they also have to leave the franchise viable. What good does it do to get a raise if you put the company you work for out of business?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Physical demands certainly should be considered.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You might be right, but then you might not be. Without knowing what kind of profit they actually make, you have no way of knowing what they can afford to pay. I don't know what a Happy Meal costs McD's, and neither do you....although I suspect that you're right.
They make about $65,000 per employee.

> Revenue per employee: $65,000
> No. employees: 420,000
> Revenue: $27.5 billion
> 1-year revenue change: 7.5%
Read more: Companies with the Least Valuable Employees - 24/7 Wall St. Companies with the Least Valuable Employees - 24/7 Wall St.

The One Thing You Must Know About McDonald's (MCD, SBUX, THI, YUM)

Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
no one should be paid 7.25 an hour in new york period.

it would be fine in Springfield, Missouri but Manhattan, really? Time are tough, sometimes people struggle to get decent jobs, there is a lot of applicants so they take anything there is.

Mcdonalds pays $10.55 an hour in San Francisco because thats min wage there, and guess what, they sitll make LOTS of profit

Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
"luckier than some" is not merit. And that's the point. Did you, say, have any major physical problems that would have interfered with your getting a job, like I mentioned before, did you have any teeth missing which would require a substantial amount of money to fix, which would have caused you problems getting a job? Minimum wage workers don't often have dental insurance, just as an example. Have you always had all your co-workers like you a lot, and your bosses like you, or at the very least didn't dislike you? Were you ever bullied in the workplace? Do you think those things don't happen to other people who don't deserve it at all? IMO, what makes you naive is that you indicate that you think "work" is this sterile environment where the only thing that is considered is merit. That's simply not true, from the lowly jobs in fast food to the high levels of the top executives in a company.
Why are you so worried about teeth. Some of my family work in construction and make good money and a lot of them do not have teeth. You keep making excuses for someone not being able to better herself when they are able bodied. Fast food is not hard, getting more than minimum wage is not hard. If she doesn't like her job, then she can find another. They have plenty of high paying jobs in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies