Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You do realize there is a difference between corporate McDonalds and McDonalds franchises don't you? The actual restaurants are franchises. Small businesses that get support (Non financial support) from corporate McDonalds. Any employee of any fast food chain is free to seek other employment. No McDonalds holds their employees there at gunpoint. They may deserve a better wage, but they also have to leave the franchise viable. What good does it do to get a raise if you put the company you work for out of business?
Certainly these businesses pay McDonalds something for the use of their name. So, if you want to start your own fast food business, why not start your own and not use McDonalds' name. Sounds as if corporate McDonalds is RIPPING EVERYBODY off. Maybe people should stop buying McDonalds franchises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Politics in retail? You need to try harder like the women making minimum wage. The world is not that complicated, do a good job, show up on time, don't steel things and you can get more than minimum wage at any job after 6 months.
What fantasy land do you live in where this happens?

I worked at Home Depot when I was in college; I think I made $8 or $9 an hour, which was enough to support myself but it was extremely hard to get any type of promotion or raise. The only way to really get any kind of wage increase was to get trained in multiple areas, which included reading the books, taking the tests and then shadowing. The catch was you could only shadow outside of your normal work schedule and it couldn't be during "busy hours"...so that basically meant you could maybe train during the dead zones but then you didn't really get any training because there was no one there...unless you were friends with the head cashiers then you suddenly managed to get shadowing time.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Certainly these businesses pay McDonalds something for the use of their name. So, if you want to start your own fast food business, why not start your own and not use McDonalds' name. Sounds as if corporate McDonalds is RIPPING EVERYBODY off. Maybe people should stop buying McDonalds franchises.
You're free to do just that... I don't eat at McDonalds because I don't like their "food". (At least that is what they call it) Fact is, I don't eat fast food. I either cook it, or I go out to a restaurant that gives me a decent meal and a pleasant wait staff. Being order 359 holds no desire in me.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Why are you so worried about teeth. Some of my family work in construction and make good money and a lot of them do not have teeth. You keep making excuses for someone not being able to better herself when they are able bodied. Fast food is not hard, getting more than minimum wage is not hard. If she doesn't like her job, then she can find another. They have plenty of high paying jobs in Texas.
Well, who knew you had family members without teeth? I used the dental example because, as I said, most folks who make minimum wage are not likely to have dental insurance and dentists are pretty expensive, and if money were an issue, seems that dental work would not be a top priority for your money. The point was that there are things beyond our control which affect our ability to "climb that ladder" to better jobs and higher income, like no money for additional training and higher education. Hiring, promotions, and raises are not based on merit ALONE.

This woman lives in NYC. She does not live in Texas. Btw, you may not have been "luckier than some" if you had been required to make your way in the world of work if you had had to do it in NYC. Why not move, you say? Oh, yeah. It takes MONEY to relocate.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
no one should be paid 7.25 an hour in new york period.

it would be fine in Springfield, Missouri but Manhattan, really? Time are tough, sometimes people struggle to get decent jobs, there is a lot of applicants so they take anything there is.

Mcdonalds pays $10.55 an hour in San Francisco because thats min wage there, and guess what, they sitll make LOTS of profit
McD's pay even more in N. Dakota. The min there is $7.25.

McDonald's Signing Bonuses: North Dakota Outlet Offering $300 To Potential Hires
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ota/50136572/1

Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
You're free to do just that... I don't eat at McDonalds because I don't like their "food". (At least that is what they call it) Fact is, I don't eat fast food. I either cook it, or I go out to a restaurant that gives me a decent meal and a pleasant wait staff. Being order 359 holds no desire in me.
Well, seems we agree on this.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes, in Williston, they do pay $20 plus per hour. You also have to pay $2500 per month in rent.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you wonder why companies are hiring illegals ?

Well wonder no more.
That's just it.

The illegals aren't illegal anymore.

The same people who support obamas every move are the very ones who will suffer.

Adding 10 million new low skilled employees into the job market has consequences.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, in Williston, they do pay $20 plus per hour. You also have to pay $2500 per month in rent.
NY rent isn't cheaper.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
How many of you are willing to pay $8 for a happy meal for your kids? These businesses would have to close down if they paid these idiots $15 an hour..
Yet they are paying nearly that much in your very own state and they aren't closing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies