Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
4c groups are allowed to engage in political activity. There are liberal 4c groups that do the same thing but they were not singled out with their approval held up.
Yes, the IRS allows them to engage in political activity (which is, for me, the real scandal since I don't think the IRS policy and the law are actually in sync in this), but political activity cannot be their PRIMARY purpose. So if I'm the GOP and I apply for 4c status, I'd expect to be denied. As a political party, clearly my primary purpose is political. And if I'm the Green Party and I apply for 4c status, I'd expect to be denied. As a political party, clearly my primary purpose is political. And if I'm the Tea Party and my goals, my purpose, my work is political, then at the very least, I'd expect the IRS to scrutinize if politics is my PRIMARY purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Right, because using "Tea Party" isn't political at ALL. Do you liberals really believe the garbage you spew, or just how other people do?
I guess in your eyes , anyone who disagrees with your way of thinking is corrupt, lies( rights favorite word) dishonest, wrong ALL the time and just plain full of hate and bigotry , right?
If the Tea Party is so upstanding, show us the proof.Lets count the ways, the numbers, then the whole world can see the truth.I think you would be shocked at just how wrong you really are.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, the IRS allows them to engage in political activity (which is, for me, the real scandal since I don't think the IRS policy and the law are actually in sync in this), but political activity cannot be their PRIMARY purpose. So if I'm the GOP and I apply for 4c status, I'd expect to be denied. As a political party, clearly my primary purpose is political. And if I'm the Green Party and I apply for 4c status, I'd expect to be denied. As a political party, clearly my primary purpose is political. And if I'm the Tea Party and my goals, my purpose, my work is political, then at the very least, I'd expect the IRS to scrutinize if politics is my PRIMARY purpose.
Sorry, you are making me dizzy. You say it's reserved for groups that are not political and then agree that they can be political.

There really is nowhere to go with this sort of thought process.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you are making me dizzy. You say it's reserved for groups that are not political and then agree that they can be political.

There really is nowhere to go with this sort of thought process.
Here, let me clarify.

The LAW says that those tax exemptions are for groups that are NOT political.

What is political and what is not sometimes fall into grey areas. A charity for the homeless might have an interest in a political issue, for instance building shelters for the homeless, and so some of their activity might fall into that grey area.

The IRS, had the difficult job of assessing if an organization was political or not, and with so many organizations involved in activities in grey areas, they've been following a policy to require that these organizations be PRIMARILY non-political. Which is to say that 51% of their activities could not be political.

And once again, since the TEA PARTY movement was clearly a political movement, an organization which called itself a TEA PARTY could reasonably be expected to have a political component. The IRS was not being unreasonable in investigating to assure that the TEA PARTY organizations engaged in non-political activity at least 51% of the time.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Here, let me clarify.

The LAW says that those tax exemptions are for groups that are NOT political.
Can you show me where?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Can you show me where?
You're citing the where. IRC 501 (c)(4).

IRC 501(c)(4) provides for exemption from federal income tax of civic
leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the
promotion of social welfare.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
4c groups are allowed to engage in political activity. There are liberal 4c groups that do the same thing but they were not singled out with their approval held up.
And it was a liberal 4c group that was the ONLY organization to be denied.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM

3. Basis for Exemption

A. Political Educational Organizations

IRC 501(c)(4) requires that organizations operate primarily in promoting in
some way the common good and general welfare of the people of the community.
To meet this requirement, many IRC 501(c)(4) organizations engage in educating
the community.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicm95.pdf

Below is a IRC 501 (c)(4). You can bet their approval was not held up.

https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/organizing-for-action

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
3. Basis for Exemption

the community.

Since the Organizing for Action group applied in 2008, their application is irrelevant. The applications in question happened after the Citizens United Decision was handed down, and the IRS was besieged with new applications. Faced with staffing cutbacks and an increasing workload, the IRS sought ways to weed out the PRIMARILY POLITICAL groups from the NON-PRIMARILY POLITICAL groups. Political names seemed like a practical methodology. Unfortunately, that is a form of profiling.

And yes, your cite demonstrates what I said before, that charitable organizations have activities that fall into a grey area where politics and social welfare intersect.

Do you have a genuine argument to make?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
3. Basis for Exemption

the community.

Well, DC was citing the actual Law, you cite the IRS procedures as had been modified to replace "exclusively" with "primarily". But in any case, "Political Education" .. ??? ... Bhwaaaaa, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies