Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM

580 posts, read 964,742 times

Advertisements

I've heard of this. They had an article on Yahoo! of all places. It seems wrong but the original poster kind of has a point. I wonder if I could cash in on this? I can get a helmet and some orthopedic shoes. Maybe pretend to be some kind of autistic guy. Then I can takes someone for all their worth.

I'm kidding of course. It's unethical and should be looked into. As for enforcement of any policies, I'm not completely sure how they'd be able to do it. There's millions of people entering into the parks every day. It might be hard to tell which are actually disabled family members and which are playing the system without invading privacy or putting up guards at every ride.

People play the system. It isn't fair to other people but that seems to be how some are. If they don't do it this way, they'll find another way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
Quote:
Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines
at Disney World

You have to hand-it to the women, if the story is accurately told. Good for them. And good for the handicapped who are earning a little extra money and having some fun while they're at it.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Nothing new here, the wealthy have always paid for favoritism, good incentive to work on getting wealthy.
I know nonwealthy people who use other people's handicapped tags to get better parking at stores, concerts, football games, etc.

I think scum is scum. Try to make this a class war...it ain't.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know nonwealthy people who use other people's handicapped tags to get better parking at stores, concerts, football games, etc.
Most of the people I see using "handicapped" parking tags so they can obtain easier/better parking at shopping centers, office buildings, etc., aren't handicapped and don't deserve to use the tags. But they do. That's something I disagree with, more than I'd disagree with someone paying a "guide" to cut the lines.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Most of the people I see using "handicapped" parking tags so they can obtain easier/better parking at shopping centers, office buildings, etc., aren't handicapped and don't deserve to use the tags. But they do. That's something I disagree with, more than I'd disagree with someone paying a "guide" to cut the lines.
My mom is disabled and it really chaps my hide to see people abusing handicapped spaces. Drives me nuts.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Disney should charge $$$ for a personal conceigere.

Those are available and have been for years.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,128 times
my husband doesn't see anything wrong with it. he says the disabled woman is enterprising. I just think it is disgusting that the rich are allowed to pass their sense of entitlement to their children while generations of poor people get blamed for all of society's ills. (it's also criminal how much Disney world charges for their front of the line passes.)

Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Instead of just buying a fastpass
That isn't how a fast pass works, and you don't have to buy a fast pass.

Basically a fast pass is setting an appointment to come back to the ride at a specified time. You then go into a special fast pass line.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
my husband doesn't see anything wrong with it. he says the disabled woman is enterprising. I just think it is disgusting that the rich are allowed to pass their sense of entitlement to their children while generations of poor people get blamed for all of society's ills. (it's also criminal how much Disney world charges for their front of the line passes.)
Disney Orlando doesn't have a front of line pass. I don't know about California Disney.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
I was in Disney World just two weeks ago and there are not too many rides that actually have "shorter lines" for disabled people. I experienced this first hand in my last two trips because I had a family friend with ALS have a scooter for the trip before this past one and my most recent one, my dad needed to use a scooter (after trying it out in Epcot on the previous trip due to an accident several years ago.) Since 1991 (when the ADA was implemented), many Disney World and Disneyland Resort attractions have ADA lines. Only a few do not Splash Mountain for example with the stairs. A majority of the lines have ramps. The only rides with special entrances for guests with disabilities are Toy Story Mania (due to the stairs to the station in Florida and from the station in California), Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, The Seas with Nemo & Friends (due to the walking platforms that may or may not need to shut down the rides momentarily.)

I disagree with buying off disabled kids but most of Disney's attractions are in fact made for guests with disabilities to enjoy them. And this goes back to the days of Walt Disney creating Disneyland after not being able to ride a carousel with his daughters in the 30's and 40's. Disney has rarely had any height restriction over 50 inches and never created kiddie-land rides that most adults cannot do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies