Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Are you being dense on purpose? The police can stop you for any reason they want. Jay walking is against the law. The police can say that guy was jay walking or use the police catch all the suspect was acting suspicious.
That is all the reason they need.

This is done all the time by the police.
The Arizona papers please law gives the police the right to come up to anyone they deem suspicious and ask them to prove their citizenship. Keep being dense.
Dense? I don't know, are you really that stupid?

You don't understand the difference between an infraction and a violation, tell you what, leave the conversation to those that know what they are discussing, you just simply sit on the sidelines and learn.

Now, lets use your idiotic claim as an example....say the police stop you for jaywalking and issue you a ticket, they question you since you have no ID, they come to realize they think you are an illegal, they can't legally arrest you as the law doesn't allow it. It merely says they can make a reasonable attempt to determine the immigration status of a person stopped, detained or arrested if there's reasonable suspicion that person is in the country illegally. Once they have determined the status to be illegal they may contact ICE/DHS to attain further instruction as to detain and hold for processing or to release. ICE/DHS has final say.

Here, 2 seconds of research brings this up
Quote:
What are police required to do under the law?
If officers stop, detain or arrest people while enforcing other laws or ordinances and reasonably suspect they are in the country illegally, they have to try to determine their status if it's practicable.
In other words, police don't have to determine someone's legal status if there's a shootout going on. They also get a pass if inquiring would hinder an investigation — by scaring off witnesses, for example.
If police find that the people they've stopped are illegal immigrants, do the police have to arrest them?
No. The law is silent on what police must do once they determine someone is in the country illegally.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul...aw-qa-20100706
I especially like this part
Quote:
Are police required to turn convicted illegal immigrants over to the federal government?
No, just to notify federal immigration agents.
How does this change things?
Currently, all law enforcement officers in the country, unless forbidden by management, are allowed to check on the immigration status of people they stop or arrest. This makes checking a requirement.
Look at that, this law is already pretty much the law of all PD in the nation, with few exceptions. AZ simply requires the officers checking on status a requirement and gets rid of the police chiefs choice to make rules to the contrary.

So now who is being dense? SMFH

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 05-17-2013 at 11:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
They seem to support profiling when it's against minorities.

Please explain, seems to be a double standard. Profiling is ok when it's non Whites but wrong when it's Whites conservatives?
Mostly its because a large portion of conservatives outright bigots, I thought that was obvious to everyone. Profiling minorities = good according to conservatives but profiling white domestic terrorists = bad. It all comes back to the right wings tribal identity politics and their blind hatred, fear, and bigotry of anyone different. You see it EVERY election and the Republican Party is always the first one to pander to racial bigotry.

Hell, just look at the threads here at CDF and you'll see conservatives posting racist filth over and over again and if anyone calls them on it they play dumb and pretend not to understand. That's just the game they play.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:04 AM

154 posts, read 245,253 times
I am for racial profiling of demographic groups that are known for being overrepresented in committing certain types of crimes.

If most terrorists in the world were from Scandinavia for example, I would have no problem with law enforcement racially profiling blond haired and blue eyed people.

But since the vast majority of terrorists in the world come from 3rd world Islamic countries, obviously they are the ones who will be the most racially profiled by the F.B.I and the C.I.A.

If White people were committing the majority of the homicides in New York City, I would totally be in favor of stop and frisk mostly profiling New York City's Irish, Jewish, Italian, WASP, etc population. But those demographic groups are not committing the vast majority of the homicides in New York City.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:48 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"Well, the "conservatives" seem so comfortable attacking minority voter rights and tax exempt organizations they don't agree with, such as Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, etc., I think the OPs question is a good one."

There was no intelligible question posed. It was more of troll. Certainly a very lazy attempt to draw fire.

Furthermore, the comment re conservatives is intellectually dishonest though it may be valid as an opinion.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:15 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
While you are asserting such indignation, direct that indignation to the IRS who for 27 months leading up the election "targeted innocent minorities" by refusing to grant tax exempt status to Hispanic Tea Party groups. Guess it's okay for this Administration to turn against its minority citizens when elections are involved.

Quote:
Conservatives were upset that parts of the Arizona law were struck down.

Many right wingers have no problem with the government targeting innocent minorities.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Default Is there something specific to which you refer?

Quote:
They seem to support profiling when it's against minorities.

Please explain, seems to be a double standard. Profiling is ok when it's non Whites but wrong when it's Whites conservatives?
This is just speculation with no substance. Give us some examples. And, are you saying that Leftists are all perfectly "color blind" and do not make assumptions? I've seen a lot of threads by Leftist that make some pretty outrageous statements against Jews, for example.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 05-18-2013 at 05:43 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Dense? I don't know, are you really that stupid?

You don't understand the difference between an infraction and a violation, tell you what, leave the conversation to those that know what they are discussing, you just simply sit on the sidelines and learn.

Now, lets use your idiotic claim as an example....say the police stop you for jaywalking and issue you a ticket, they question you since you have no ID, they come to realize they think you are an illegal, they can't legally arrest you as the law doesn't allow it. It merely says they can make a reasonable attempt to determine the immigration status of a person stopped, detained or arrested if there's reasonable suspicion that person is in the country illegally. Once they have determined the status to be illegal they may contact ICE/DHS to attain further instruction as to detain and hold for processing or to release. ICE/DHS has final say.

Here, 2 seconds of research brings this upQ&A: Understanding Arizona's immigration law - Los Angeles Times
I especially like this partLook at that, this law is already pretty much the law of all PD in the nation, with few exceptions. AZ simply requires the officers checking on status a requirement and gets rid of the police chiefs choice to make rules to the contrary.

So now who is being dense? SMFH
You are talking to a brick wall on this one, LR. She is a rabid illegal alien supporter and a foaming at the mouth right wing hater.

Another thiing, under Obama's present orders HS can't deport any illegal anyway unless they are a "convicted" felon. Most illegals haven't been yet "convicted" of ID theft and many other crimes which are felonies. So what's all the noise about?

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-18-2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You are getting into silly semantics. The reality is that in the minds of most Americans Muslim and Arab are interchangeable and are used as such in everyday language. Mexicans are believed to be a race in the minds of most Americans. So yes that is racial profiling.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

"You are getting into silly semantics." = I have no rebuttal

Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Do you support racial or ethnic profiling? Do you support Arizona's immigration law?
Dummycrats ALWAYS leave out the word ILLEGAL when whining about immigration laws.

Show examples of conservatives supporting racial profiling.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is just speculation with no substance. Give us some examples. And, are you saying that Leftists are all perfectly "color blind" and do not make assumptions? I've seen a lot of threads by Leftist that make some pretty outrageous statements against Jews, for example.
Original version of Arizona's show your papers law, before Obama and liberals gutted it.

Racial and ethnic profiling, I've heard many conservatives support targeting Middle Easterners at airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies