Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times

Advertisements

But want to get rid of government handout programs to take care of these unwanted babys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuvfg3lGn0

This GOP philosophy never made since to me. Outlaw abortion, but then outlaw aid programs to take care of the kids to mothers who otherwise can't afford them (or are too lazy to work).

What is the reason for this? Contraception sometimes fails and a lot of women are irresponsible anyway. For those instances, do we make the women have the kid, and then let the kid starve? It's not like you can force the women to get a job, and even if she does, minimum wage (for low skill women) is not enough for housing and child care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
But want to get rid of government handout programs to take care of these unwanted babys?

This GOP philosophy never made since to me. Outlaw abortion, but then outlaw aid programs to take care of the kids to mothers who otherwise can't afford them (or are too lazy to work).

What is the reason for this? Contraception sometimes fails and a lot of women are irresponsible anyway. For those instances, do we make the women have the kid, and then let the kid starve? It's not like you can force the women to get a job, and even if she does, minimum wage (for low skill women) is not enough for housing and child care.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...for all of those pro-lifers out there, adopt all of those kids who are unwanted and would have otherwise been aborted. Problem solved. Just stand in the delivery room with a catchers mitt and adoption papers.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:

First off, it's sense,...not since. Second, we want people to take responsibility for their choices and actions. Even as a teenager I knew I couldn't afford a baby so I always used a condom. They're cheap and easy to use. Combine condom use with female birth control makes it nearly 100% effective. Easy abortion enables bad choices and actions.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
First off, it's sense,...not since. Second, we want people to take responsibility for their choices and actions. Even as a teenager I knew I couldn't afford a baby so I always used a condom. They're cheap and easy to use. Combine condom use with female birth control makes it nearly 100% effective. Easy abortion enables bad choices and actions.
You're dodging the question. What do we do with teens/young women who are irresponsible, lazy, or don't care? What if their parents are dirt poor also and can't help them out?

Would you rather the young woman spend a week's paycheck to get a abortion, or live on the dole for 18 years? Or let the kid starve?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:

Can't feed 'em? Kill 'em!

Is that what you're advocating?

And is it the government's responsibility to enable women to continue to be promiscuous?

Quote:
You're dodging the question. What do we do with teens/young women who are irresponsible, lazy, or don't care? What if their parents are dirt poor also and can't help them out?

Would you rather the young woman spend a week's paycheck to get a abortion, or live on the dole for 18 years? Or let the kid starve?

Adoption is a beautiful thing.

But again...the alternative is that you're proposing we kill babies rather than pay for them. That's eugenics and it's something that is rather horrible.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:

First raise them to be responsible adults instead of trying to be their friend and letting them do whatever they want. Second, if the kid gets in trouble in school or at home, don't stand up for the kid. Punish the kid and stick to the punishment. Don't take "I'm sorry" and then end the punishment. Be clear with the kid about birth control and how expensive a baby is and that it'll be on the kid to pay. If the kid gets pregnant and doesn't want the baby then adoption is a viable option.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Can't feed 'em? Kill 'em!

Is that what you're advocating?
I'm advocating abortion for women who can't afford kids without living on the dole. If you consider that "killing", then yes.

Quote:
And is it the government's responsibility to enable women to continue to be promiscuous?
I'm advocating the government stay out of people's bedroom. The government should not be concerned about who is promiscuous and who isn't.

Quote:
Adoption is a beautiful thing.

But again...the alternative is that you're proposing we kill babies rather than pay for them. That's eugenics and it's something that is rather horrible.
Adoption is the same thing as living on the dole. They will go into adoption homes on the government coin until they are adopted. And they may be brought back to the home if they are a problem child.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
There are more than two possibilities; the supposedly flexible thinkers on the left should be able to get that.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM

474 posts, read 905,778 times
Quote:

I'm sorry Majin, but for some people abortion is simply a crime against humanity. It should be a crime to terminate an unborn fetus, regardless of stage of development. For me - only when the fetus is the result of another crime (rape, incest) should abortion be legal.

Contrast to a typical left-leaning person who screams over a few hundred soldiers who die in a conflict defending the country. But they don't care in the least that 1.2 million fetuses are terminated in the US every year. I don't want any soldiers to die - but dismissing the lives lost through abortion because it is convenient or cost effective is ridiculous.

Who values life more?

Strengthening young families should be a priority. The poor lifetime results of children of single parent households is caused by the social structure and deserves attention from society.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:

Let them both starve and be accountable for their own decisions. How about that? They'll eventually learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies