Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I suppose that's better than being hated and murdered.
Not really when you go insane before you die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Religion should be banned

LOL, you are starting to sound like a broken record.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Don't Drone Me Bro---

[vimeo]67081166[/vimeo]
"Don't drone me, Bro" Intellectual Froglegs #30 on Vimeo

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
I think it's going to happen anyway. Best we can do is consider giving We The People more power to vote politicians and/or policies out.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL, you are starting to sound like a broken record.
......says the broken record.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,847 times
Religion has no place in politics or public policy.

Anyone who proposes religious based laws belongs in prison.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
So the politicians of iran are apparently proposing a law to let 9 year old marry to fit sharia law, which any western reader will find absurd. In general muslim based laws are a cause for a lot of resentment towards foreign legal systems.

But in a more general basis do you think it's acceptable that politicians argue legislation based on religious beliefs? or use the god so many believe in for their political campaigns?

An example is the discussion about abortions, where there is apparently a large part of america being against abortions calling it "pro life", based on their "christian morals and values".
Even presidential candidates went into this in the last election, but what really gives a christian believer and/or politician the right to tell for example an atheist woman what she can or can't do with her womb and arguably almost alive fetus?

President bush ended the better part of his speaches along the lines with "god bless america", a rather innocent statement, but should the highest ruling person of a modern country really be involving religion in his speaches about governing a country of which the very first founding documents state clearly that religion should have nothing to do with the country?

The very first ammendment of your constitution says
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

what do you think?
It's a tough question. As a former member of the religious right--who joined the religious left--and is now simply "religious", I don't think it's an easy yes or no answer. As a Christian, I can't really help that a lot of my political beliefs are influenced by my Christian faith--being anti war, supportive of universal health care, and supporting social justice for the poor are all influenced by things that Jesus preached. Christianity is part of my identity, and I can't really divorce that from how I conduct and articulate myself in public--nor should I have to--Not I nor any other person of faith (or no faith).

At the same time, I recognize two things: 1) You don't have to be a Christian to support the beliefs stated above and 2) I live in a pluralistic society where not everybody is a Christian. Of course, in a pluralistic society, all viewpoints and worldviews have a right to be heard in the public square. Besides, if the Christian, Muslim, Bhuddist and Atheist come to the same conclusion on say, ways the government can help the poor, then does it matter exactly where their opinions came from. I don't really think so. As long as the poor are helped. Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Religion has no place in politics or public policy.

Anyone who proposes religious based laws belongs in prison.
Wow, seriously? Sounds like we have a secular fundamentalist on our hands here.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
There's pretty much no such thing as religiously neutral politicians.

You either have politicians that serve God or that serve money

You either have public who worships God or who worships government
You have a very limited view. I know many religious people who really serve money.

Also, atheists worship no one! Atheists have no need for a all powerful figure to take care of them. Be
it a god or government.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
what the heck has that got to do with it anyway?

Irony!

That's what it has to do with it.

Another preachy enemy of religion reaping what he sowed.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
It's said that there are over 20 major religions today, and hundreds of other smaller religions. So no, society should dictate our moral code, not religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies