Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're the one who knows nothing about religious history, chielgirl. Everything godofthunder said is historically accurate. If you disagree, I would suggest you make the necessary corrections to what he posted, rather than just insist that it's garbage.
Religions have caused more wars than anyone.
So, no, I'll just call it garbage because it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,658 times
So the politicians of iran are apparently proposing a law to let 9 year old marry to fit sharia law

Let them worry about that over in the Muslim countries. As long as we don't start applying Sharia law over here I'm fine

or use the god so many believe in for their political campaigns?

if they want to use God, it's their gain or loss. Are you thinking about limiting free speech now? No "God" allowed to be mentioned now by anyone running for office?

"pro life", based on their "christian morals and values".

So now they can't call "pro-life" now because that somehow invokes God and religion? So now they have to refer to it as anti-abortion?

President bush ended the better part of his speaches along the lines with "god bless america"

So did a lot of television hosts in america at one time, ending their broadcast with a mention of God. So what?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Thank you for recognizing this. So many think "Separation of Church and State" is in our Constitution. It is NOT. The second amendment simple means that Congress shall not make a law establishing a "state" or officially recognized religion. It also means that that it won't hinder freely exercising religion. It is just that our country is on such an "anti-Christian" binge lately that the radical left thinks this gives them carte blanche to attack Christianity wherever it appears in public (as evidenced in such organizations as Freedom From Religion Foundation amongst many others. These organizations outwardly attack Christianity and then claim they are not doing so, only upholding constitutional freedoms, or claim that Christianity is attacking the rest of society as the reason for their attacks. Don't forget, in today's politically correct world Christians can NEVER be "victims".

Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
If you're rights don't come from God they come from government

Inconvenient truth for the anti-theists
The "government" is tangible. God isn't.

An inconvenient truth for the theists.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
"pro life", based on their "christian morals and values".

So now they can't call "pro-life" now because that somehow invokes God and religion? So now they have to refer to it as anti-abortion?

You can call them "anti-choice". Pro-choice and Anti-choice. How does that float your boat?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Do you think it's OK for religion to effect politics and policies?

Nope

Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
God has nothing to do with rights the government grants you.
Your posts demonstates an ignorance on par with hunk of creosote-soaked telephone pole baking in the hot sun for 50 years.

Goverment doesn't grant rights. Rights pre-exist government logically and in time.

People had rights long before government existed. Your rights exsit with or without government.

No roll over and let the sun bake the other side for a half-century.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Religion and voters other personal beliefs have driven politics and policy for thousands of years and will continue to do so.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Can you name 3 rights that you have right now that would be impossible to have/recognize in an atheist governed country?
No, I see no connection between the two. Rights don't stem from government.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your entire response was a bunch of garbage. I don't need to say anything else.
So to summarize your response:

I did fat finger one thing in one response. I said 2nd Amendment when I meant to say 1st Amendment.

But let's indulge your later non-response:
Quote:
Religions have caused more wars than anyone.
So, no, I'll just call it garbage because it is.
Can you please be more specific? Please list all the wars that were caused by religion.

I'm not arguing that religion has not caused wars. I even cited the 30 years war, which is the most horrific religion-caused war in history.

Human beings are the cause of war. Religion has been used as a convenient excuse for war and conquest for all of human history, but religion is rarely ever the root cause. Even in the case of the 30 Years War, it's mostly just used as an excuse for a war people wanted to fight anyways. Then we come to Atheism. We've only seen atheism become the official state "religion" under Marxist Communism, so that's the only example we have to draw any conclusions from. The lack of religion did not prevent Pol Pot from massacring 1/3 of his own people in Cambodia, Kim Sung from massacring 3 million of his own people, Stalin from massacring 20 million of his own people or Mao from massacring 40 million of his own people. Removing religion from the equation is an extreme rarity in human history. The results? More innocent people massacred than ever before -- equaling if not surpassing the entire total death-count by religion in all of human history. The terrifying reality is the fact that this ultra-militant atheistic Utopian system tallied such an insane body count in less than a century. 100 million is just a lowball estimate, the real number is probably much higher. Nothing else in human history can compare to that scale of human tragedy, death and suffering.

My conclusion: Thus far in human history, we're better off with religion than without it and atheism is not the cure-all to human tragedy. Quite the opposite obviously.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You can fervently believe that all you like, but atheism has as much or more potential for atrocities as any religion does and Marxism proved that. Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Kim Sung, Castro and Ho Chi Min were the "Popes" for all intents and purposes leading their anti-religious ideological crusade.

Can you name for me the single biggest genocide/mass-murder whose marching orders sprang directly from the leadership of any religion?

The worst that immediately comes to mind is the 30 Years War which killed about 8 million in total, though the responsibility for those 8 million deaths would need to be divided up between Catholicism and Protestantism. That's big certainly, but it's nothing comparison to the death count that Marxists managed to tally in the 20th century, and those Marxist nutjobs were slaughtering their own people to boot!

You said you are Catholic but you certainly sound like an admirer of atheism. Odd but to each their own.

All you need to do is study the history of wars of religion. I am not an atheist nor do I admire it. I am pragmatic though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies