Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 AM

33,551 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
Such a state has never existed

Secular Humanism is still a religion whether if it has ceremonies on Sunday or not

It's still a value system, and belief system about the purpose of life and perception of behaviors.
Wrong, wrong, wrong,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well under atheist governments there are many rights that were taken away. Books have been written about it. At it's worse people were killed for believing in God. It's happening right now in some countries.
In which country was which right revoked on basis of atheism?
For example Sweden currently has less than 2% regular church visitors, do you think the Swedish citizens are likely to start losing rights rapidly as that figure gets closer to 0?

Quote:
Because anti-theists have turned a reference made IN A LETTER about a state run religion, that we should have freedom FROM religion instead of freedom OF religion.
If politicians repeatedly make references to their religion as part of their political agenda, for example george bush using Gods name in numerous speaches to build a credibility as a "good christian" isn't a freedom from religion rather than of religion a step forward even for the religious, as he is in fact using the religious reference for his own gain rather than as a token of worship?
If I remember my lessons in catholic bibleschool correctly one of Jesus core messages was that prayer and the individuals relationship with God is his own to keep private, and one that should not be flaunted, yet politicians seem to build peoples trust for them by flaunting their piety....

Quote:
No atheism is about a system where right and wrong are defined by government. And if government decides that killing millions of it's own citizens is right then who is to argue?
I think you are confusing dictatorship with atheism, look it up.
Atheism=the belief that there is no God of any form.
Dictatorship=the rule in which a single or multitude of rulers can make decisions as they like without giving their ruled subjects any opportunity to object. (essentially a monarchy without the royal title for the ruler)

A dictatorship can still in theory be run well, though that's usually not the case.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm catholic and actually believe in god. I'm asking what rights come from him. Can you answer that
All of our human rights. You think the government gives us that? Not likely.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,387 times
Quote:
All of our human rights. You think the government gives us that? Not likely.
Are you being serious? Trying to wrap my mind around the logic of this statement.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

[and sometimes you become a hypocrite in the process]
If you say one thing and do another then, yes.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
If you say one thing and do another then, yes.
All religions and religious people fit into that category.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTC

Such a state has never existed

Secular
Humanism is still a religion whether if it has ceremonies on Sunday or
not

It's still a value system, and belief system about the purpose of
life and perception of behaviors.
What makes you think all atheists are Secular Humanists? It's like saying that all theists are Lutheran.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It seems that you know absolutely nothing about religious history.
Or are simply making stuff up to suit your argument.
You're the one who knows nothing about religious history, chielgirl. Everything godofthunder said is historically accurate. If you disagree, I would suggest you make the necessary corrections to what he posted, rather than just insist that it's garbage.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
God has nothing to do with rights the government grants you.
The government does and cannot grant rights. Rights are something you are born with. Government that is not tyrannical recognises the fact that citizens are born with unalianable rights that government cannot abridge.

What we have today in modern day amerika is a government which is turning into a dictatorship.
Within a few short years you will be correct, and only have what rights government grants you.
That or there will be revolution to restore the rights of the people.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Were I a religious person; I would choose that one facet of their supposed beliefs that they seem to forget most often: that of treating others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

Take that moral imperative into everything governing your life's behaviour regardless of whatever profession you choose, even politics, and you'd really have something.

Alas, for most I've met, religion itself becomes the "end" rather than the "means".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies