Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
If you're rights don't come from God they come from government

Inconvenient truth for the anti-theists
I'm catholic and actually believe in god. I'm asking what rights come from him. Can you answer that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM

258 posts, read 238,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm catholic and actually believe in god. I'm asking what rights come from him. Can you answer that
And did you go to public school or was your Catholic school run like one?

Did you not study anything about the history of this country and the purpose of our system of government as it was explicitly stated by the people who founded it?

See if you actually study history (I'm not trying to be condescending) you will see why there is such a motive for disbelief in God by government or at least a perverted version of belief. That's because when God is in charge, government is NOT in charge. But if you remove God, then government has the final say on right and wrong. And how much power they should have over your life.

Quote:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness

Declaration of Independence

Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
And did you go to public school or was your Catholic school run like one?

Did you not study anything about the history of this country and the purpose of our system of government as it was explicitly stated by the people who founded it?
I went to catholic schools. Our fore fathers were religious and wrote the constitution based on their beliefs. It doesn't mean they were right and it doesn't mean they were wrong. It was just their belief. I would still like to know what they mean about our rights from our creator. Please tell me what rights they are talking about

Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times
No but they will always parrallel...

Religion says "though shall not kill"

Does that mean since we can't follow religion we should allow killing?

I know people think abortion is a religous thing, but its really an argument of when life begins? Is it in the womb? out the womb? puberty? etc...

Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
I don't think it would be possible to completely dissociate your religious beliefs from the policies you proposed or endorsed any more than I think it would be possible to remove all your personal pilosophies and political ideologies from your political activities.

But I certainly do not think we should outright create laws based on one religion or another, or one holy text or another. Gods are only reflections of the human heart and mind, imagination and aspirations. It can get quite dangerous when a person or group of people come to think that whatever views they hold are the same ones their deity or deities hold, or believe their god(s) is exhorting them to radical, even violent acts. And this happens with some regularity.

On the other hand, I am not a believer and I would never let that fact (if I were someone with political power) influence freedom of religion in this nation.

People MUST be free to hold whatever spiritual beliefs give them comfort; we just shouldn't allow our laws to be based on ancient myths and superstitions. And though we must ensure freedom of religion, we cannot allow a person or group to ever use their religion as a hammer to smash over the heads of those who believe differently.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
What rights were taken away by atheists. Seriously. And people are killed every day for believing in a different religion.
There is this one atheistic utopia-social theory of government that was implemented all over the world. As one of its core tenants, atheism was militantly enforced as the state religion. All believers of any sort were massacred, persecuted and marginalized. That social theory is Marxist Communism.

Mao Zedong, one of the foremost implementers of Marxism, also holds the dubious distinction as the greatest mass-murderer in human history. At least 20 million deaths are attributed to the anti-religious crusade known as The Cultural Revolution. At minimum, Mao is responsible for 40 million deaths and that is a very conservative estimate. Unsurprisingly, the second worst mass-murderer in human history was also an adherent to that very same atheistic Utopian system of Marxism -- one Joseph Stalin killed at least 20 million with a sizable portion of that being religious folks who stubbornly refused to accept atheism.

I know atheists don't like to own Marxism, but Marxism is a highly militant atheist system. Refusing to own that is no different than Christianity refusing to accept ownership of the crusades. Atheism has the same smug self-righteousness that plagues all religions of the world, but it lacks any codified morality to keep the uber-zealots in check.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There is this one atheistic utopia-social theory of government that was implemented all over the world. As one of its core tenants, atheism was militantly enforced as the state religion. All believers of any sort were massacred, persecuted and marginalized. That social theory is Marxist Communism.

Mao Zedong, one of the foremost implementers of Marxism, also holds the dubious distinction as the greatest mass-murderer in human history. At least 20 million deaths are attributed to the anti-religious crusade known as The Cultural Revolution. At minimum, Mao is responsible for 40 million deaths and that is a very conservative estimate. Unsurprisingly, the second worst mass-murderer in human history was also an adherent to that very same atheistic Utopian system of Marxism -- one Joseph Stalin killed at least 20 million with a sizable portion of that being religious folks who stubbornly refused to accept atheism.

I know atheists don't like to own Marxism, but Marxism is a highly militant atheist system. Refusing to own that is no different than Christianity refusing to accept ownership of the crusades. Atheism has the same smug self-righteousness that plagues all religions of the world, but it lacks any codified morality to keep the uber-zealots in check.
So what you are saying is that religious believes starts wars. How many religious people believed in god but broke off into their own religion and started wars because of it. To me atheism is to hold yourself accountable and to believe in yourself.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Doesn't matter what I think, it does and always has. No one can divorce their religious thoughts from their political ones. Not unless you are schizophrenic.
Agreed.

[and sometimes you become a hypocrite in the process]

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I went to catholic schools. Our fore fathers were religious and wrote the constitution based on their beliefs. It doesn't mean they were right and it doesn't mean they were wrong. It was just their belief. I would still like to know what they mean about our rights from our creator. Please tell me what rights they are talking about
Natalie if you're rights come from government they government can determine whether or not if you're a slave or a free person. Government can determine every aspect of your entire life. If you want to live in a dystopic society like that go to North Korea

What made this country right is the idea that there are certain inalienable rights that are not granted to us by government. It's not a privilege to have them that the government can just arbitrarily take away. They are rights given to us by a divine authority. A divine authority that created mankind with the ability to self-govern and to be free from the tyranny of oppression of other men.

All of scripture is about standing up to people who command worship of men or images made in the likeness of mankind

It pretty much can't be stated any more explicitly than what they stated.

Now you can choose to believe or not believe in God, but clearly for those who believe in God it's stated very plainly that the authority of divinity is above the commands of mankind

Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
So what you are saying is that religious believes starts wars. How many religious people believed in god but broke off into their own religion and started wars because of it. To me atheism is to hold yourself accountable and to believe in yourself.
No atheism is about a system where right and wrong are defined by government. And if government decides that killing millions of it's own citizens is right then who is to argue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies